Make my diabetic meals exciting please!

(10 Posts)
Littlemisspoorly Fri 09-Nov-12 09:13:05

I'm getting bored already. Any ideas? As a diabetic what do you eat?

CMOTDibbler Fri 09-Nov-12 09:20:38

You just need to eat a healthy diet generally - try and keep the fat down, less sugar (and especially try to cut it out when not as part of a meal), and try to pick wholegrains rather than white pasta, bread, rice.

It really shouldn't be boring - you can still have everything you ate before, just try to eat sensibly overall. Diabetes UK have loads of good information

CogitoErgoSometimes Fri 09-Nov-12 09:53:06

If you're Type II and trying to control your insulin levels then I'd recommend getting hold of some books on 'Low GI' eating to inspire you. Typical link The things to eat daily are wholefoods, vegetables, wholegrains, lean meats, fish, oils, eggs, fresh/dried fruit (in moderation), nuts/seeds, pulses (beans, lentils etc) .... and, with the addition of herbs and spices you can potentially create a different meal every day for years on end. A lot of vegetarian dishes based on pulses are very tasty, for example.

The things to avoid are heavily processed foods, refined starches, sugary foods/drinks, alcohol ... which is fairly standard healthy-eating advice for all of us really. Second the idea to contact Diabetes UK. Also ask your diabetic nurse if you can be referred to a dietician for some pointers.

Littlemisspoorly Fri 09-Nov-12 15:56:34

Thanks both. I think I was on a downer earlier but have since been shopping and treated myself to some untried 'good' foods as a treat. smile

CogitoErgoSometimes Fri 09-Nov-12 17:32:54

There are all kinds of fantastic foods you can enjoy on a Low GI or diabetic diet. What did you treat yourself to?

Littlemisspoorly Fri 09-Nov-12 17:44:50

Low low cheeses (mainly for my DH) of different kinds, No sugar custard, fish pie mix and tiny yoghurt berry snacks. DH is kindly joining in my new eating regime and is enjoying the change...so far grin

plutocrap Fri 09-Nov-12 17:49:13

Maybe try to come to each meal from some exercise? I have a diabetic friend who says if she's even ever-so-slighy hypoglycaemic, absolutely anything tastes AMAZING. Hunger is the best seasoning! grin

Littlemisspoorly Fri 09-Nov-12 17:54:39

Love the 'Hunger is the best seasoning!' plutocrap

I wonder if anyone could suggest the best excercise indoors? I suppose I could get off my derrier and get off MN for a start! grin

Iatemyskinnyperson Fri 16-Nov-12 11:30:49

Google Low Carb recipes. I'm eating low carb these days and have never eaten better! Whole idea behind low carb eating is to control your insulin.

This would suit and is possibly the tastiest thing I've had in a while.

Mynewmoniker Fri 16-Nov-12 20:36:14

That looks good iatemyskinnyperson. Thanks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now