Slow Cooker Sundays

(38 Posts)
LulaPalooza Sun 21-Oct-12 14:14:44

One of the few things I like about winter is Slow Cooker Sundays... I never use it in the Summer and today is the first day I have got it out since March, I think.

I like pottering about on a Sunday morning chopping stuff, browning meat and veg and then bunging it all in the slow cooker for a few hours.

I am doing a sort of middle eastern inspired beef casserole - stewing beef browned in lots of spices, fresh chilli (home grown!), mushrooms, peppers, onions, garlic, tin of tomatoes, beef stock, potatoes.

Will bung in some chickpeas an hour before I am due to serve it. Will probably serve it with rice as DH hates couscous (why? why would anyone hate couscous? he's weird).

Anyone else got their slow cooker out today? If so, what are you cooking in it?

QueenOfCats Fri 16-Nov-12 17:52:16

I'm trying the gammon and dark brown sugar today. Just realised it should have been on medium but I've had it on low since 8.30am. Bugger.

GeeandTee Mon 22-Oct-12 14:23:16

Thanks ethel, I shall get experimenting!

ethelb Mon 22-Oct-12 11:15:38

geeandtee they really don't have to be covered in liquid. I did some stuffed peppers in mine the other day, no liquid in it at all and they were perfect. The steam from the food stays in the slow cooker keeping it moist iyswim.

AngelsWithSilverWings Sun 21-Oct-12 22:16:19

Ooh maple syrup would have been lovely!

ceeveebee Sun 21-Oct-12 22:05:42

Oh and today I did red cabbage with apples and cinnamon which was had with grilled pork chops
Once I have the slow cooker out of the cupboard there is no stopping me!!

ceeveebee Sun 21-Oct-12 22:04:08

angels we had the gammon on Friday, I added some maple syrup too, it was delicious. We had with cheesy leeks and jacket potatoes.

Yesterday I cooked lentil Dahl which my 11 mo twins love.

I'm definitely doing the gammon. I used
a boneless shoulder of pork but can't remember the weight sorry - just got one from the butchers that looked like it would fit in the slow cooker!

Gammon and ginger beer sounds brilliant. I've done it with coke and someone recommended doctor pepper too.

Bert2e Sun 21-Oct-12 20:36:50

Oooh sounds interesting - I do my gammon with a can of ginger beer and it's lovely!

AngelsWithSilverWings Sun 21-Oct-12 20:26:52

Yes the Gammon recipe is so simple ( wish I could remember who posted it on the slow cooker thread!)

One gammon joint and 400g dark brown sugar ( I used a bit less and it was fine )

Just put the sugar in the slow cooker and put gammon on top. Cook on medium for about 8 hours.

The sugar melts and the juices from the ham create quite a lot of liquid.

Thanks for the pulled pork recipe - sounds great. Do you use pork shoulder and if so what sort of weight?

dylsmimi Sun 21-Oct-12 20:25:38

Thanks rabbit!
I'll try that and the pulled pork and gammon! Yum!

NettoSpookerstar Sun 21-Oct-12 20:20:26

My pulled pork is a made up recipe. I did a rub with brown sugar, cumin, black pepper and mustard seeds and left it overnight. Bunged it in the slow cooker about 9am either a can of coke and left it until 6pm. Used the liquid to make a bbq sauce by reducing it down with some tomato puree and worcestershire sauce. Served with sub rolls and pickles.

Really fancy the gammon and sugar. Is it just that? Any liquid?

swooosh Sun 21-Oct-12 19:55:12

pulled pork

done in the oven though, not slow cooker although it could be adjusted to be done in slow cooker?

RVPisnomore Sun 21-Oct-12 19:47:20

We've just finished a beef madras which had been cooking in the slow cooker for 7 hours, delicious.......

Roll on next Sunday for my next slow cooker delight!

GeeandTee Sun 21-Oct-12 19:43:31

I have always been too scared to put a joint in without liquid as the instruction manual says meat should be covered in liquid. Can I jus ignore this then?

I served up a leg of lamb at 5.30, the SC does lamb joints so well, as long as you take the fat off first. Yummy smile

rabbitonthemoon Sun 21-Oct-12 19:33:01

I made the paella one up. But roughly, I fried up an onion and two cloves garlic, then two chopped chicken breasts, half a cooked chorizo. Then whacked in box of passata, a chicken stock cube, a good dollop of paprika and a pinch of saffron and a pinch of chilli flakes. That bubbled all day. When I got home I added paella rice (a cup for two I think) and approx a pint of stock and moved it over to the hob for 30-40 mins. In the last 5 mins I added some green beans, which felt random at the time but was actually really nice. The rice stage did need a bit of watching and stirring. It was tasty! For an easier version I do the same kind of thing but add a tin of chickpeas at the start, skip the rice bit and mop it up with crusty bread.

LulaPalooza Sun 21-Oct-12 19:07:40

All fantastic ideas, ladies. Might do pulled pork next weekend. Haven't done that for a while

Glad your gammon turned out well, Angels

Pendulum Sun 21-Oct-12 18:39:59

Just had sausage casserole from mine- cooked them with onions, mushrooms and a bag of diced carrot and swede (one of the ones you're supposed to boil and mash). A bit of stock and wine, and we came back from a long walk to all sorts of deliciousness.

dylsmimi Sun 21-Oct-12 18:23:16

Cooker obviously not cooler that wouldn't be good in the winter!

dylsmimi Sun 21-Oct-12 18:22:36

Hi
No slow cooler for us this week but like the idea of gammon and paella - do you have the recipes you can share?
I tend to do either beef casserole, sausage chilli or chicken, bacon, leeks & potatoes with condensed white wine & chicken soup.
My mum bought us the biggest slow cooler ever seen which is a bit of a pain - I could probably feed you all smile

HappyTurquoise Sun 21-Oct-12 18:11:58

I did a Greek inspired casserole last time I used mine.

NettoSpookerstar Sun 21-Oct-12 18:10:55

I'm making a venison pie filling in mine tomorrow.
Tonight am using leftover pulled pork I cooked in it to make tonnata, with homemade bread and salad.

AngelsWithSilverWings Sun 21-Oct-12 18:09:01

The pulled pork sounds good - would anyone like to share the recipe?

AngelsWithSilverWings Sun 21-Oct-12 18:07:24

Well the gammon slow cooked in sugar was a massive success! 7 year old DS would have eaten the whole joint on his own if I'd let him.

We had it with steamed new potatoes ,cabbage, leeks and broccoli.

DH wants to know why it's taken 16 years of marriage for me to finally cook him some gammon.

The kids can have the leftovers with poached eggs and beans tomorrow.

Next time I'll try the cola recipe.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now