What can I feed DD (10 months old, vegetarian, avoiding cow's milk)

(137 Posts)
nickeldaisical Sat 13-Oct-12 12:10:13

please help smile

DD is quite happy to shovel food into her own mouth.

she's got eczema and although she hasn't been advised to avoid cow's milk, we figured it wouldn't hurt.

God, I miss milk chocolate. sad

she's still BF.

I'm rather stuck for food ideas, really. We made some goat's cheese biscuits and she likes cream crackers.
she doesn't seem to care much about toast, but anything biscuit textured she devours.
she likes broccoli and other veg - doesn't seem to care if it's cooked or not grin
she also loves apples. but doesn't like cooked courgettes.

I'm just running out of ideas, really. Because I work, we end up eating breakfast at the shop, and it seems to always be cream crackers (dry because she won't eat it with spread on it), and I'm worried she's not getting a proper balanced diet.

examples of typical days:
milk feed before waking, cream cracker for breakfast, apple mid morning, water, goat's cheese biscuit, goat's cheese on toast for lunch, then only milk till tea time. (she'll have carrot or broccoli as a snack too)
when she's hungry she'll choose milk first, but then she falls to sleep.
tea-time she'll have generally what we have, just small bits of it (last night it was pizza, about 2/3 slice in total, the other night it was a mild curry, so quite a few chunks of veg and potato)

what else could I think of for daytime?
tia smile

nickeldaisical Fri 19-Oct-12 13:24:33

oat bath it is then. smile

i've seen quinoa around but never used it. I was looking for things to make burgers with, so added to the list

ooh quinoa makes good veggie burgers.

bessie26 Thu 18-Oct-12 20:22:28

How about Quinoa? (to eat, not bathe in! grin)

PessimisticMissPiggy Thu 18-Oct-12 20:20:14

I second oat baths. Amazing!

Oat baths are fantastic, they really soften the water and skin. I use the sock full of oats to wash DD down, squeeze until the thick oozy liquid appears then rub it on.

nickeldaisical Thu 18-Oct-12 15:58:43

thank you writer smile

nickeldaisical Thu 18-Oct-12 15:58:31

one of the ladies at church suggested oat bath (not yet brave enough, but am considering it! )
and good idea about the hens - they usually get the food dd smears all over the floor grin

Writergirl Thu 18-Oct-12 13:52:00

I think there's loads of good suggestions on here, also nut butters are very nutritious - almond or cashew, and you can also add jam, too!

Wholemeal crisp breads may be more nutrient dense than cream crackers, if she likes biscuity things.

Try smoothies? You can add handfuls of spinach to a banana, nut butter and nut milk smoothie, and it becomes a bright green color - I tell my kids its a magic potion and they love it, and it's packed with goodness.

I feel compelled to comment back to peachtown, because it's nutrients that kids need, not "fat". The best forms of calcium come from green leafy foods - e.g. kale, broccoli, collard greens, not dairy. The green leafy stuff -i.e. grass - is where the cows get it from - just bypass the cow!

Similarly, the omega and oils in fish are better from the source: seaweed.

Notes from a new vegan :-)
However, my kids aren't vegan, but I do have one who ate very little - the doctor wasn't concerned, it was more 'quality' than 'quantity', but I do also advise checking it out with your doc or nutritionist.:-)

soaccidentprone Wed 17-Oct-12 20:57:59

No worries smile

Also need to watch out for hidden dairy in things ie toasting muffins usually have milk or butter in them. I bought some tomato ketchup a while ago and that had milk powder in it shock - I mean, who could have possibly guessed that?

DS2 has also suggested oat baths which we do for him. Old tights etc are good for these. Put a handful of oats in the toe bit of the tights or sock, then run warm water through it. The bath water will go milky. This is very soothing for itchy skin.

I think earlier you said you'd got hens? You can feed the oaty residue to them when it's still warm and they'll love it (hopefully). My hens love a bit of porridge.

I bf DS2 till he was 2 and quite often used breastmilk on cereal, in mashed pots etc (just for him though grin in case you thought otherwise)

nickeldaisical Wed 17-Oct-12 14:27:26

should have been smile

nickeldaisical Wed 17-Oct-12 14:27:14

thank you accident loads of ideas there :0

SamSmalaidh Wed 17-Oct-12 14:11:02

Generally we have far too much animal protein in our diets anyway. I seem to remember under 3s need .55g of protein per lb bodyweight per day - so assuming your DD is 20lbs that's only 11g of protein a day. 100g of baked beans is about 5g protein.

soaccidentprone Wed 17-Oct-12 14:05:35

DS2 is the same as your DD (but DS2 is 10). He has always been veggie, and is ridiculously healthy. He normally gets a 100% attendance certificate every term, so just ignore everyone who says babies need meat or fish grin. Milk and milk products makes his eczema flare up which he scratches in his sleep. he already has scars on his arms from the scratching.

He normally has cereal and a banana for breakfast and pineapple or apple juice (not from concentrate). If he's at breakfast club he has toasted teacakes with jam (no spread) and some juice.

For lunch he has a homemade bread sandwich, usually with Granose vegetable pate, egg mayonnaise or houmous. Salad ie pepper and carrot sticks, then some dried fruit and a couple of bourbon biscuits. He normally drinks water at school.

For tea we normally have pasta and sauce (made with quorn mince or chunks), veggie chilli (DS2 has the chilli without the chilli powder - he has a very sensitive mouth), Linda McCartney sausages with potato wedges and veg or lentil shepherds pie.

Weekends is normally home made soup, or scrambled eggs etc.

Here's a list of foods which I find useful:

Lidl sell pressed apple juice

Teacakes or fruited bread
Vitalite
Peanut butter (when your dd is older)
Cashew butter
Yeast extract
Dried fruit - sultanas, apple and banana
Tinned beans - baked and chick peas etc

Asda sell really nice dark chocolate spread which is dairy free

Aldi sometimes sell Granose vegetable or mushroom pate. They have also started selling Blackfriars flapjack at 49p (bargain) which is vegan.

Toast fingers, maybe with veast extract or jam might be more appealing to your DD as she will be able to put it in her mouth as one rather than having to try and fit a slice in her mouth. Also breadsticks are really good for dipping in huomous. And yorkshire puddings made with soya or oat milk are scrummy.

i read somewhere that children need to keep trying the same things when if they first reject them, as their tastebuds change as they get older.

This is all making me feel very hungry.

Hope this helps smile

nickeldaisical Wed 17-Oct-12 14:02:20

thank you Sam - i agree. It's the protein thing, but of course, animal based protein is coming from me, it's the non-animal protein we're potentially lacking

SamSmalaidh Wed 17-Oct-12 13:26:22

Where does this idea come from that babies/toddlers need dairy products? If the child is getting human milk then she isn't going to waste away without animal milk confused

Quesadillas are really good, hot or cold, and you can put anything in them. Easy for little hands to hold.

nickeldaisical Wed 17-Oct-12 13:22:54

she's just having shredded wheat soaked in goat's milk and broccoli grin

nickeldaisical Wed 17-Oct-12 13:17:11

ooh, found this!

jkkplu - i've been trying to give her her breakfast in the morning before we leave - while i'm dressing (so i can watch her) but before i dress her.
mmm, like the idea or stewed fruit in porridge - i could use that as the sauce instead of milk, i think smile

jkklpu Wed 17-Oct-12 12:15:33

Can you get to the shop 10 minutes earlier and give her porridge/ready (with goat's milk) plus banana/stewed apple/stewed pear/blueberries, or something?

nickeldaisical Wed 17-Oct-12 12:12:05

twelve - yes, probable will - the soup thing wasn't too bad last night, and of course, we can bath her and put her straight in jammies after smile

nickeldaisical Wed 17-Oct-12 12:11:12

she likes cutlery - she plays with it.
usually our cutlery - she has a habit of grabbing our forks and knives at the business end when we're not looking [sigh] and then grips her hand round them so tightly it's more dangerous to get them off her.

noted about banana.

will try to make some falafel.

will be looking for free chocolate. i gave up chocolate once for lent and switched to caramel coated blackfriars flapjacks.
wink

she had the spinach and cheese muffin for breakfast, a bit of egg white (hardboiled egg leftover) and an apple just now.
she's sleeping after a BF.

lunch will be a sandwich. haven't decided on topping yet.

We think Ds is lactose intolerant (reflux not eczema) and have had great success weaning with the Lacto Free range - they do hard and soft cheeses, yoghurts and cream (and milk but you don't need that). He has it in everything - pasta, mash etc

Avocado and humous sandwiches a hit here, as was Annabel karmel lentil thing. Can you earmark evenings/days out of the shop for super nutritious messy food meals?

Woodifer Wed 17-Oct-12 07:18:29

2nd peachtown

expressed milk/ soya formula on cereal (mini shredded wheats/ weetabix/ reddibrek/ porridge)

avoiding cows milk/cheese has quite an impact on vege diet - are you certain about excema link?

rice cakes (mini or briken big ones) with smooth peanut butter

hummous on rice cakes/ breadsticks/ cucumber

egg! egg! egg! - omelette (cooled and cut into strips, similarly (same thing!) frittata with veges in) - you could make evening before - and serve cold strips for brekkie.

proteins = lentils/ beans/ pulses

Dal is fab (my DD loves red lentil)

reduced salt baked beans (on toast)

Rollersara Tue 16-Oct-12 23:07:14

Am impressed with the variety already, DP and I are veggie and most of what we (and therefore DD) have is fairly liquidy!

<offtopic> According to MIL, if you get banana on clothing, wash straight away then they don't stain! DD has banana just before I plan to put a wash on and no black stains yet! Although just about every other colour

LadyWidmerpool Tue 16-Oct-12 23:03:16

Has anyone suggested falafel?

Merinda Tue 16-Oct-12 23:01:43

Just wanted to add on buckwheat - Dove's farm that make lots of fre-from flours have great buckwheat pancake recipes on their website. They are lovely.

And as for milk chocolate, there are quite a few dairy-free chocolates on the market, Booja-Booja is fantastic, MooFree is another great one. Ocado and Waitrose have them for sure.
(Bessant and Drury make fantastic dairy-free ice-cream by the way)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now