What can I feed DD (10 months old, vegetarian, avoiding cow's milk)

(137 Posts)
nickeldaisical Sat 13-Oct-12 12:10:13

please help smile

DD is quite happy to shovel food into her own mouth.

she's got eczema and although she hasn't been advised to avoid cow's milk, we figured it wouldn't hurt.

God, I miss milk chocolate. sad

she's still BF.

I'm rather stuck for food ideas, really. We made some goat's cheese biscuits and she likes cream crackers.
she doesn't seem to care much about toast, but anything biscuit textured she devours.
she likes broccoli and other veg - doesn't seem to care if it's cooked or not grin
she also loves apples. but doesn't like cooked courgettes.

I'm just running out of ideas, really. Because I work, we end up eating breakfast at the shop, and it seems to always be cream crackers (dry because she won't eat it with spread on it), and I'm worried she's not getting a proper balanced diet.

examples of typical days:
milk feed before waking, cream cracker for breakfast, apple mid morning, water, goat's cheese biscuit, goat's cheese on toast for lunch, then only milk till tea time. (she'll have carrot or broccoli as a snack too)
when she's hungry she'll choose milk first, but then she falls to sleep.
tea-time she'll have generally what we have, just small bits of it (last night it was pizza, about 2/3 slice in total, the other night it was a mild curry, so quite a few chunks of veg and potato)

what else could I think of for daytime?
tia smile

SamSmalaidh Wed 17-Oct-12 14:11:02

Generally we have far too much animal protein in our diets anyway. I seem to remember under 3s need .55g of protein per lb bodyweight per day - so assuming your DD is 20lbs that's only 11g of protein a day. 100g of baked beans is about 5g protein.

nickeldaisical Wed 17-Oct-12 14:27:14

thank you accident loads of ideas there :0

nickeldaisical Wed 17-Oct-12 14:27:26

should have been smile

No worries smile

Also need to watch out for hidden dairy in things ie toasting muffins usually have milk or butter in them. I bought some tomato ketchup a while ago and that had milk powder in it shock - I mean, who could have possibly guessed that?

DS2 has also suggested oat baths which we do for him. Old tights etc are good for these. Put a handful of oats in the toe bit of the tights or sock, then run warm water through it. The bath water will go milky. This is very soothing for itchy skin.

I think earlier you said you'd got hens? You can feed the oaty residue to them when it's still warm and they'll love it (hopefully). My hens love a bit of porridge.

I bf DS2 till he was 2 and quite often used breastmilk on cereal, in mashed pots etc (just for him though grin in case you thought otherwise)

Writergirl Thu 18-Oct-12 13:52:00

I think there's loads of good suggestions on here, also nut butters are very nutritious - almond or cashew, and you can also add jam, too!

Wholemeal crisp breads may be more nutrient dense than cream crackers, if she likes biscuity things.

Try smoothies? You can add handfuls of spinach to a banana, nut butter and nut milk smoothie, and it becomes a bright green color - I tell my kids its a magic potion and they love it, and it's packed with goodness.

I feel compelled to comment back to peachtown, because it's nutrients that kids need, not "fat". The best forms of calcium come from green leafy foods - e.g. kale, broccoli, collard greens, not dairy. The green leafy stuff -i.e. grass - is where the cows get it from - just bypass the cow!

Similarly, the omega and oils in fish are better from the source: seaweed.

Notes from a new vegan :-)
However, my kids aren't vegan, but I do have one who ate very little - the doctor wasn't concerned, it was more 'quality' than 'quantity', but I do also advise checking it out with your doc or nutritionist.:-)

nickeldaisical Thu 18-Oct-12 15:58:31

one of the ladies at church suggested oat bath (not yet brave enough, but am considering it! )
and good idea about the hens - they usually get the food dd smears all over the floor grin

nickeldaisical Thu 18-Oct-12 15:58:43

thank you writer smile

Oat baths are fantastic, they really soften the water and skin. I use the sock full of oats to wash DD down, squeeze until the thick oozy liquid appears then rub it on.

PessimisticMissPiggy Thu 18-Oct-12 20:20:14

I second oat baths. Amazing!

bessie26 Thu 18-Oct-12 20:22:28

How about Quinoa? (to eat, not bathe in! grin)

ooh quinoa makes good veggie burgers.

nickeldaisical Fri 19-Oct-12 13:24:33

oat bath it is then. smile

i've seen quinoa around but never used it. I was looking for things to make burgers with, so added to the list

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now