to ask what you keep in your freezer?

(130 Posts)
CakePops Wed 10-Oct-12 17:57:24

Watched a Gordon Ramsey programme where he said he kept sliced frozen bagels in his freezer, so he's always got a quick brunch.

This had never occurred to me so I wondered what other freezer tricks I am missing out on.

To kick things off these are normally to be found lurking in my freezer:

Frozen veg (fast food for the dc when I can't be bothered to cook)

Fishfingers (See above)

Pizza base - Made in batch. And frozen for a quick pizza when I can't be bothered to cook (I see a theme emerging ...)

Banana bread, flapjacks etc - made in batch for after school snack.

Ice - For alcohol.

Frozen onions - For when I can be bothered to cook but not cry.

What do you keep in yours?

Ooh good tips on here. My freezer currently has enough batch cooked meals to last me and DH til Christmas (40weeks pregnant).

Read on MN the other day that frozen grapes are great in drinks or just eaten like boiled sweets smile

DorsetKnob Wed 10-Oct-12 19:40:40

Lots of meat as we produce our own/buy beef from a friend.
Ice cream
bread
frozen fruit and veg
leftovers/small portions for DC's
Booze

CharlotteBronteSaurus Wed 10-Oct-12 19:42:11

peas, chips, prawns, and magnums

that's all the major food groups, right?

CelticPromise Wed 10-Oct-12 19:46:20

Spinach, fishfingers, bargains and leftovers. I hardly ever buy meat or fish full price.

Mintyy Wed 10-Oct-12 19:46:58

I've got a tiny freezer! Drives me mad. Oh how I wish I had room for glamorous stuff. Instead of (currently):

Chicken breasts x 4
Potato waffles
Peas
McCain french fries (best oven chips you can get imvho)
Coffee ice cream
Ice cubes
Cod & parsley sauce fishcakes
Spicy beanburgers
Bread rolls
Pitta bread

No batch-cooked home cooked meals from me, oh no.

Bluestocking Wed 10-Oct-12 19:47:50

The week's sandwiches for DS's lunch
Peas
Oven chips
Pizza
Fish fingers
Vegetarian sausages
Bag of pine nuts
Bag of pistachios
Frozen cold packs for coolbag
And, my piece de resistance of inherited weirdness, butter wrappers, neatly folded in a freezer bag, then I always have something to butter a cake tin/cover a chicken breast with. My mum does this!

DorsetKnob Wed 10-Oct-12 19:49:46

I need to get another chest freezer.

bluecarrot Wed 10-Oct-12 19:50:24

freeze cheese on open tray so it it diesnt freeze in a big lump and i can just take out a handful at a time. I get the huge blocks from farmers market and it lasts ages and works out cheaper.

eat the chocolate still frozen. takes longer to eat it and dd has never found it (at the back of the veg drawer) ;)

Im aiming to reduce shopping trips to once a month - less chance to impulse buy, and less food goes to waste as I just defrost what i need.

bluecarrot Wed 10-Oct-12 19:53:19

oh, and i keep coffee in there too.

cakepops - milk seperates when freezing so I do tend to take it out to defrost overnight but tbh, once its defrosted (by whatever means) give it a stir and it should be ok

I drink soya and rice milk so dairy milk only for dd for cereal.

Vodka, Frozen veg(broccoli, peppers, mushrooms, peas), ice cream, meat, fishcakes, bread, ice, herb butter, homemade chicken stock and batch cooked meals.

Mintyy Wed 10-Oct-12 19:58:04

And Stolichnaya vodka of course.

ATourchOfInsanity Wed 10-Oct-12 20:03:35

Frozen bread
Beef (diced for slow cooker)
Bacon (get BOGOF and always seem to forget I have about 3 packs already)
Fish fingers
Pot of chicken stock
Starting to do bread if room and milk if I remember

Anyone know if you can freeze bananas? Bought green ones from market 2 days ago and they are spotty already (about 15! of the buggers). Do I have to make them into something first?

bluecarrot Wed 10-Oct-12 20:05:06

stoli in the freezer?

I had never drank vodka til earlier this year and my stoli is just sitting in a cupboard. It appears Im doing it wrong....

bluecarrot Wed 10-Oct-12 20:06:42

insanity - peel the bananas then freeze them. or slice them and store in a bag and they can be used in a smoothie... will go black if defrosted and left a while though. you need to use them still frozen

Its stoli we have in the freezer too. We enjoy it when playing shot chess....

ATourchOfInsanity Wed 10-Oct-12 20:13:58

Thanks Blue - can I use them to make banana muffins for Halloween (somehow offered to have 6 small people over for spooky lunch) and black might actually work....!

Soditall Wed 10-Oct-12 20:27:32

Loads and Loadsgrinbottom drawer has sliced peppers,parsnips,cauliflower,broccoli,baby brussel sprouts,mini corn on the cobs.

Next shelf up Ice lollies loads of them and Cornettos.

second shelf tubs of Ice cream and Sorbets.

First shelf changes depending on what we're having for dinner that paticular week this week there's been Salmon,Mince,Chicken breasts,Lamb chops,Pork loin,joint of beef.

But we also have a chest freezer that has Pastry that I've made,Pizza bases that DH has made,tortilla wraps and different Naan breads I've made,Bagels(all different one's)crumpets,loaves of bread,toasting muffins,croissants,hot cross buns,rolls(burger and hot dog one's)vegetables,potato croquettes,Apple crumble,Whole chickens,cod,salmon,prawns,mince,steak,joint of stuffed pork,chicken portions,chicken breasts,butchers sausages,gourmet burgers,leg of lamb,pork loins,Haagen Dazgrinberries,pavlova,chocolate fudge cake.Not sure what else.

I know I now sound very greedyblush,but we shop monthly and there's 7 of us.

Fishfingers
Fish fillets
Chips
Peas
Garlic Bread
Pizza
Quorn sausages

Tomorrow it will be more exciting because at work we will be sending the ice cream freezer back to warehouse for storage over the christmas season and I shall be rescuing the ice cream that is left over. It's a hardship but someone has to do it. <sigh>

CremeEggThief Wed 10-Oct-12 20:42:32

Ice, burger baps, hot dog rolls, garlic bread, veggie burgers, veggie sausages, veggie hot dogs, veggie sausage rolls, Quorn mince, Quorn pieces, Quorn roast, Sainsbuys feta nut roasts, potato waffles, Quorn fishfingers, Quorn nuggets, Cornish ice-cream, Yorkshire puddings, oven chips and peas. Sometimes have garlic mushrooms, onion rings, wedges, muffins, ice lollies and mixed frozen veg too. Very rarely, frozen home made food, although there's a tiny portion of macaroni cheese in mine now.

InTheNightGarden Wed 10-Oct-12 20:52:14

food + candles (makes them burn for longer)

Ilovemydogandmydoglovesme Wed 10-Oct-12 21:33:33

Joint of beef
Joint of lamb
Pheasants
Burgers
Cornish pasties
Sausage rolls
Chicken breasts
Minced beef
Sausage meat
Pastry
Rhubarb pie
Icecream
Bread
Rolls
Chips
Fish fingers
Pizza
Parsnips
Chicken stew
Leftover chow mein
Pigeon breasts

Think that's it at the moment.

Does that help? grin

CakePops Wed 10-Oct-12 21:34:14

Thanks Blue. If I froze bananas could I use them to make banana bread? Can you mash frozen bananas?

Soditall - I want your freezer! Do you wrap crumpets individually? Do hot cross buns and crossiants freeze well? Do you just reheat from frozen? Is that fresh beg in your bottom drawer and do you just cook from frozen?

Why does anyone freeze vodka? How do you drink it?

Amazing - Are you an ice cream seller?

Love the idea of frozen bacon - Mmm bacon sandwiches on demand. Do you have to wrap individually or does it seperate? Does it need defrosting?

CakePops Wed 10-Oct-12 21:38:10

Is that a homemade Rhubarb pie ilovemydog? I could make a pie and freeze it .. Why hadn't I thought of that?

Love the pheasants and pigeon breasts! Never tried pigeon breasts.

Knackered bread for chicken nuggets
Knakcered fruit for our pet gecko
Knackered wine for cooking
knackered cake for.... you get the pitcure... I am a bit of a freezer hoarder.

I have a filing system:

Top shelf - full emak left overs, stuff for DH tot ake to work, little luccnhes for me to heat up...

Shelf 2 - Bits and bobs - breadcrumbs, coffee, frozen sauces, ice cubes, food for gecko.

Shelf 3 - ingredients that are not meat - garlic, chillies, herbs, ginger, pizza bases, bread, that sort of thing.

Shelf 4 - meat. I buy loads reduced and love to look in before I do the week;s meals.... At the momet I have chicken thighs, mince, massive bit of slow cooking beef, etcetc

Shelf 5 - treats adn pack lunch stuff: frozen squeezy yogurts ('healthy' ice looly replacement'), cheese, cake if we have any, left over choc icing, bit of ice cream

Shelf 6 - fruit and veg, depending on what my Grandma has been giving from all her friends that have allotments smile

I do love my freezer..... apologies for obsessive to much info etc....

Candles? Nice tip....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now