Can you recommend a basic cookery book?

(31 Posts)
Badgerwife Thu 04-Oct-12 18:07:59

My brother in law is utterly clueless when it comes to cooking, but very keen to learn as his rubbish diet is starting to seriously damage his health (he's in his early 30s).

I would quite like to offer him a cookery book for Christmas but don't quite know which would be best!

When I say he is clueless, I mean that he wouldn't know how long to boil an egg, so we are talking basic recipes with pictures!

I've got Delia's How to Cook, but I suspect it's a bit too wordy for him.

Any ideas?

YY Jamie

GoldenPrimrose123 Sat 06-Oct-12 13:38:23

This is a little embarrassing.

I'm not a great cook at all, and would like to improve, so I read this thread with interest. I liked the idea of Jamie's Ministry of Food book, so I looked it up on amazon, had a good look and came close to buying it. I thought I'd just check with DH first, as he has a few Jamie Oliver books, and I thought he might have something similar.

I forgot all about it and went off to do something else. I was looking for something different, and guess what I've found on MY OWN bedside table? Yes, the Jamie Oliver Ministry of Food. blush In my defence, I didn't put it there, DH must have been looking at it and just dumped it there.

I'm so glad I didn't buy it from Amazon!

Numptygrin

It's a great book though, simple, tasty family meals, that don't cost the earth or contain hard to source ingredients.

It's actually one of my least used now, but only because I've used it so much in the past, I know most of the recipes by heart!

netto I find that with a lot of Jamie books. I use them loads to start with then the meals just become part of my normal repertoire. Jamie at home has loads of recipes that I do without even thinking about it any more.

fossil97 Sat 06-Oct-12 18:38:05

This is not a Jamie Oliver love-in but the simpler books do seem to hit the spot with basic manageable recipes but that use proper ingredients and have a bit of flair. We like Jamie's Dinners here as well.

Also for the OP's BIL or whoever it was, Ministry of Food starts with a list and pictures of utensils and ingredients so he can't fail to know what a wok or box grater is!

First Steps in the Kitchen by Maureen O'Connor. First published in the early 70s when I was given my copy, but still available on Amazon. Basic but very good. Things like Treacle Tart, Rice Pudding, Steak & Kidney pie and Spag Bol . It has probably been updated to include things like Mediterranean CousCous which didn't feature on the radar back then.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now