What are your best cauliflower recipes please?

(12 Posts)
thereistheball Thu 04-Oct-12 05:34:48

I love the cauliflowers this time of year. I think it's a much more exciting vegetable than it usually gets credit for, but at the moment I'm struggling to see past dhal or cauliflower cheese with ham, so please post your best cauliflower recipes here - thanks!

Longdistance Thu 04-Oct-12 06:02:30

Marking my place. I always get stuck or ideas for cauliflower!

rumbelina Thu 04-Oct-12 06:17:27

Jamie Oliver's cauliflower cheese soup. Can't link but its out there on the internet somewhere. Beautiful.

rumbelina Thu 04-Oct-12 06:19:37

http://www.food.com/recipe/cauliflower-cheese-soup-369323

bigTillyMint Thu 04-Oct-12 06:20:46

Cauliflower and tomato curry - an old Madhur jaffrey recipe

Beamae Thu 04-Oct-12 06:24:58

Rubbed with a little garlic paste, drizzled in lemon juice, then baked in the oven. Simple, quick and delicious. We prefer it this way to cheese.

BikeRunSki Thu 04-Oct-12 06:39:31

I make a dry curry with cauli, peas, chick peas, potato and sweet potato.

xkcdfangirl Thu 04-Oct-12 06:45:48

I love Persian KuKu made with cauliflower. The recipe I usually use is in a Mahur Jaffrey book but I've found a similar one online here - it's basically a spicy ancestor of the spanish tortillia omlet, but with cauliflower instead of potato.

popsnsqeeze Thu 04-Oct-12 06:46:11

It's a side dish. Really delish

2 heads cauliflower, cut into florets
1 teaspoon salt
2 tsp sugar
1/4 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp paprika
1/4 - 1/2 tsp tumeric
6 - 8 Tablespoons olive oil

1. Preheat oven to 450

2. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper

3. in a large bowl, combine the salt, sugar, spices and oil. Add cauliflower florets and toss to evenly coat.

4. Place in a single layer on the prepared sheet

5. Roast uncovered for 30-35 minutes until the largest piece can be pierced with a fork. If the tops are starting to get too brown, toss the cauliflower during the baking process.

TellMeLater Thu 04-Oct-12 07:32:23

Saffron cauliflower

Yotam Ottolenghi

The Guardian, Saturday 17 March 2007

If you've always thought that cauliflower can't be exciting, here's a dish that might make you want to reconsider. The sultanas and olives flavour each other during the cooking, combining to create a sweet and salty aromatic salsa. Serves two.

1 medium cauliflower, divided into florets

1 red onion, sliced

70g sultanas

90g green olives, pitted and cut in half lengthways

½ tsp saffron strands, infused in 3 tbsp of boiling water

3 tbsp olive oil

2 bayleaves

Salt and pepper

4 tbsp flat-leaf parsley, picked and roughly chopped

Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/gas mark 6. In a large mixing bowl, toss together all the ingredients except the parsley.

Tip the contents of the bowl into an oven-proof dish, shake to even out a bit, cover with foil and bake for around 40-45 minutes. Halfway through the cooking, remove from the oven, lift off the lid, give the contents of the oven dish a thorough stir, cover again and return to finish off cooking. The cauliflower is ready when tender but not too soft.

Remove from the oven, lift off the foil covering and leave to cool down a little before stirring in the chopped parsley. Taste, adjust the seasoning as necessary and serve warm or at room temperature. For an extra layer of flavour, you might like to drizzle a little tahini sauce on top.

· Yotam Ottolenghi is chef-patron of Ottolenghi, London

thereistheball Thu 04-Oct-12 07:52:38

BikeRunSki - how do you make that please? Sounds delicious.

HappyJoyful Thu 04-Oct-12 11:28:43

Eastern Europeans breadcrumb and fry cauliflower... served with tartare sauce. I find it pretty moreish.

Not sure how to link.. but along these lines.

Google: www.slovakcooking.com/2010/recipes/fried-cauliflower/

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now