if you were invited for Afternoon Tea, what would you most like to eat?

(45 Posts)
CharlotteBronteSaurus Wed 03-Oct-12 21:35:07

Am doing a party for DD2's birthday. She will be 2, has no concept of "birthday", and will have fun regardless as long as there's enough cake and fawning relatives. So the Afternoon Tea is for the adult guests, not a children's party as such.

CharlotteBronteSaurus Thu 04-Oct-12 12:26:09

cheers everyone.
wine is in - I might even treat myself my guests to some Nye Timber to maintain the English theme
scones are in. there will be birthday cake too.
we have loose leaf Earl Grey and Yorkshire Tea.
poncy sandwiches are in - I will dispense with crusts
I will have a rummage for recipes for savoury tart things

Dh and DD1 will arbitrate on the French Fancy Issue (can't stand 'em myself)

thanks for the tips about getting cake stands from the poundshop.

and the two year old still naps in the middle of the day (touch wood), so will be raring to go for a four o'clock tea.

As delightful as this sounds (and it really does sound lovely). How is your 2yo in the afternoons? When dd was 2 the nicest parties were all morning ones as none of the toddlers were tired or overexcited.

You do need alcohol that isn't white wine (sparkling or otherwise), not everyone likes it.

2muchtimeonmyhands Thu 04-Oct-12 10:10:38

Put raspberries or small berries in icecubes to put in your drinks looks good in fizzy drinks.

YUNoSaySomethingNice Thu 04-Oct-12 10:02:57

Actually, I would have a bit of chopped fruit too

YUNoSaySomethingNice Thu 04-Oct-12 10:02:03

Naice sandwiches and scones are all you need to eat, plus, the cake.
Tea, coffee, a fresh fruit juice and some sparkling wine to drink.

_You don't need anything else at all_

You can have fun presenting it very nicely. Doilies, napkins that aren't bits of torn off paper towel flowers on the table etc.

I make a fruit drink of 1/3 apple, a 1/3 cranberry and a 1/3 sparkling water. It's refreshing and pretty.

YouMayLogOut Thu 04-Oct-12 09:53:05

Personally I can't be doing with cucumber sandwiches. They may be traditional but they don't taste of anything.

StillSquiffy Thu 04-Oct-12 09:49:37

Nearly every mum I know is on Dukan or Atkins, so I'd do a plate of cold meats, sliced raw veg, couple of dips and some cheese.

2muchtimeonmyhands Thu 04-Oct-12 09:45:18

Think I'll do a party tea for tea tonight, dainty sandwiches the works, need to make a list...
I sit poised with pen and paper for other ideas...

NellyJob Thu 04-Oct-12 09:40:27

smoked salmon sandwiches
cucumber sandwiches
cream cheese ditto
egg mayo ditto
ham ditto
all cut into triangles with the crusts off
eton mess
a big pot of tea
cakes

2muchtimeonmyhands Thu 04-Oct-12 09:40:00

A hedgehog is a party tea fave for us, before you ring the rspca allow me to explain.
Half a large grapefruit, wrap in foil then brown paper, draw a face on end, then cocktail sticks with cheese and pineapple and rolled up strips of ham make the prickles, on the other half cocktail sticks with cocktail sausages and pickled onions. Always popular with kids and adults.
I also do individual traffic light jellys, can take a bit of doing time wise but also popular, I love doing party teas!

marshmallowpies Thu 04-Oct-12 09:36:39

Egg and cress sandwiches. YY to mini savoury tarts. Little cakes are good as they are pretty & dainty but a big slab of a large cake is also good and that makes a nice centrepiece.

Scones, jam and cream too, of course.
When I was little, afternoon tea at my auntie's house in South Wales also included fruit salad, bara brith (fruit loaf) and Tuc biscuits. It was the Tuc biscuits we most looked forward to...mmmm...

French fancies do look nice, I'll give them that, they just taste all synthetic and powdery, very deceptive.

I agree with Frenchfancy that you don't need scones and cakes, one or the other is enough.

panicnotanymore Thu 04-Oct-12 09:34:05

Savoury stuff - tiny sandwiches: cucumber, ham and mustard, smoked salmon, and mini cheese scones (the big ones are too stodgy for the afternoon). I don't have a sweet tooth so have no interest in cake, and can always eat more savoury than is on offer.

wigglesrock Thu 04-Oct-12 09:31:33

Sandwiches
Some kind of bun/tart - cream
tea/coffee

Btw All the poundshops have cardboard pop up tiered cake/bun stands.

YouMayLogOut Thu 04-Oct-12 09:29:37

Slices of big cakes. Lemon cake with icing. Sandwiches - salmon and cream cheese, ham and tomato, cheese and pickle. Brown and white bread with crusts cut off. Malt loaf. Little tomatoes, carrot and celery sticks.

baskingseals Thu 04-Oct-12 09:25:19

french fancies horrible grin they are the food of the gods

thank you 1stbaby. i am releasing my pent up cuteness which has no outlet as i only have 2 fairly small boys and one vvv cool dd.

ds moaned about the bunting [flowery] at his party and had the temerity to want pirates. the very idea.

1stbabyat30 Thu 04-Oct-12 09:09:25

love the decor ideas baskingseals

starfishmummy Thu 04-Oct-12 08:59:15

When ds was little, I used to do parties for the adult relatives, but do it like a kids party with jelly and blancmange and party bags (with sweets and glow bands and silly stuff) - they all loved it!!

I'm clearly in a minority, but I think French Fancies are horrible.

I would prefer fewer cakes but home made, rather than a big selection of shop bought. Don't need to be fancy, just fairy cakes, jam tarts etc.

frenchfancy Thu 04-Oct-12 08:55:42

French Fancies are indeed a must (can I come? wink )

I personally wouldn't bother with scones if you are having little cakes. I always find myself too full after a scone to eat the cakes.

Little quiches are nice. As are sausage rolls.

baskingseals Thu 04-Oct-12 08:50:55

french fancies are a must.

also doilies. and a teapot with a tea-strainer. perhaps a few butter sodden crumpet.

mismatching china cups and plates. little bunches of flowers in egg cups.

and yes to cucumber sandwiches crusts off.

Pascha Thu 04-Oct-12 08:46:30

We did pizza for DS's first birthday. Easy to bung in the oven. Sandwiches are ok but you have to actually make them and then they go hard.

Oh yum! Tiny sandwiches as suggested by 1stbaby ^.

Tiny macaroons. Little scones with strawberry jam and cream. Heavy linen napkins. And lots of tea and sparkling wine.

That would be a lovely party.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now