NNote: This topic allows you to post a picture with your message using the Browse button under the Add Message box. You can only post one pic per message - and it will always appear above the text of your message, whichever order you browse/type in. If your pic doesn't load, try making it smaller (50KB max). We're afraid that you can't post up pictures if you're using the MN Talk App. And if you're not running IOS6 on your iPad or iPhone, you won't be able to browse for images on your Apple device.

Help! Has anyone used agar instead of gelatin?

(5 Posts)
CakeInMyFace Wed 03-Oct-12 08:58:23

Hi
I'm baking a weight watchers cheesecake, and it calls for 1 and 1/2 tbsp of gelatin disolved in water (to thicken it up since the filling is made with low fat soft cheese and plain yogurt). I couldn't find powdered gelatin anywhere, but did find some stuff called agar which I've been told is essentially the same as gelatin.

Anyone know if it IS the same, or whether I would need to use more/less to get the same effect as gelatin?

Thank you!

multipoodles Wed 03-Oct-12 10:22:40

Awaiting answers smile I'm vegan and bought some a while ago to try, it's still sitting here untouched! I couldn't find powdered agar but a bar that looked a bit like sponge only red! Sort of scares me a little bit!! Did you buy powered?

LeMousquetaireAnonyme Wed 03-Oct-12 10:25:46

No it is stronger I think (never used it for baking though, only microbiology grin).
hold on I have a recipe somewhere for conversion.

LeMousquetaireAnonyme Wed 03-Oct-12 10:33:41

Apparently you substitute 1 tablesp, for 1 tablespoon (if powder) in cooking.
If what you are cooking is acidic you have to had more agar than you would gelatine.
You have to boil it to dissolve it (85C).

CakeInMyFace Wed 03-Oct-12 12:05:18

multipoodles - I found it in powdered form from a health food shop, couldn't find it at any of the major supermarkets.
LeMouse - thanks for the advice! Fingers crossed it works. Will let you know how it turns out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now