NNote: This topic allows you to post a picture with your message using the Browse button under the Add Message box. You can only post one pic per message - and it will always appear above the text of your message, whichever order you browse/type in. If your pic doesn't load, try making it smaller (50KB max). We're afraid that you can't post up pictures if you're using the MN Talk App. And if you're not running IOS6 on your iPad or iPhone, you won't be able to browse for images on your Apple device.

Would you like to help us test recipes for the Mumsnet Cookbook?

(847 Posts)
CatherineHMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 24-Sep-12 13:02:59

Shhh .. don't tell everyone but we're working on a top secret new project in the form of The Mumsnet Cookbook and we need your help.

We'd like to get together a Mumsnet Cookbook cookery group to stop us from piling on the pounds help us test these shortlisted recipes.

Each volunteer will be allocated a recipe which they'll then cook for their family and give us some feedback on how easy, hard, good, bad, expensive etc they are and whether they'd make it again. All the recipes chosen were submitted over the years by Mumsnetters, so there shouldn't be any outlandish shock or particularly difficult to source ingredients - and they should all be pretty easy to make (we hope!).

As a thank-you, we'll be putting everyone who helps out into a prize draw to win a Bloomsbury cookbook.

And if that's not enough of an incentive, everyone who helps will have their *Mumsnetter nickname featured in the cookbook's acknowledgements.

PoppadomPreach Thu 24-Jan-13 17:59:15

Pizza rice done - can recommend it if anyone else wants to give it a go.

supergreenuk Thu 24-Jan-13 19:23:24

Okay c

missorinoco Thu 24-Jan-13 19:42:42

I could also do Pizza rice if that is still needed; I see it's been done, but you mention two people might be useful?

NotSoNervous Thu 24-Jan-13 20:24:36

I'm interested smile

aristocat Thu 24-Jan-13 20:25:53

Yes me please smile

Childpatch Thu 24-Jan-13 20:30:58

Sounds like fun, I'd love to participate

SilverAndSparklyKat Thu 24-Jan-13 20:36:45

I'd like to play too please. Can I have gluten free ones (pain in the arse emoticon) pretty please?

PinkSecular Thu 24-Jan-13 21:54:28

Would love to! Stick my name down! grin

PinkSecular Thu 24-Jan-13 21:56:13

Would love to! Stick my name down! grin

zipzap Thu 24-Jan-13 22:04:37

Catherine - don't know if it's too late but would be happy to try the chicken dippers or pizza dough if you still wanted them tested? Unfortunately I can tell that the dc wouldn't eat any of the ones in the most recent list so not much point testing them. sad

And as a side note - looking at the white choc ices recipe - from the title I was assuming it was going to be something to do with ice cream but it looks more like a mousse. And in these 'elf & safety conscious times do people do raw egg stuff for their dc any more?

And re the spaghetti with bacon, peas and pesto, I make something very similar for myself but leaving out the pesto and adding a spring onion to the bacon when cooking, then a very large slurp of sherry to the bacon and onion mix, bubbling for just a couple of minutes to thicken up before stirring the pasta in... And sometimes add a dollop of cream, creme fraiche or Philadelphia type cheese to make it even more yummy and luxurious. A nice easy adult variant if you don't want to be making lots of different meals for you and the kids but don't really fancy the same as they are having!

zipzap Thu 24-Jan-13 22:05:14

Or indeed, if you have anything else that needs testing...!!

seeker Fri 25-Jan-13 07:04:28

Happy to test anything that needs testing......

NewYearNewBoo Fri 25-Jan-13 07:29:09

Ooh yes please, I do lovely good recipe smile

darksideofthemooncup Fri 25-Jan-13 08:44:47

yes please

KnittingSnowMum Fri 25-Jan-13 08:57:05

Yes please

EvelyneSimon Fri 25-Jan-13 09:49:35

In case you didn't have enough volunteers: I want to take part too.

dubai71 Fri 25-Jan-13 10:20:54

Me too- if I'm not too late...

char1eston Fri 25-Jan-13 11:57:58

I'd Luke to be added if i'm not too late

Wibblytummy Fri 25-Jan-13 12:24:58

Would love to join in on the recipe testing!

gazzalw Sun 27-Jan-13 18:06:35

OOps just seen the plea for recipes to be done by tomorrow. Was intending on doing it over the weekend but our Morrisons (not huge) only had frozen raspberries and not strawberries so will have to get them from Waitrose or Sainos....

Will try to cook tomorrow and get review/feedback to you before 6.00 pm - is that okay, Catherine?

Melty Sun 27-Jan-13 23:45:20

I've done the Pizza dough. It was a success! (Provided you use th3e quick yeast and not the easy bake yeast as I did irst!)
Completely forgot to take photos though. I'll be doing it again during the week though as it went so well, and can do pics then if you want them.

CatherineHMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 28-Jan-13 09:55:00

Wow - thanks for the great response. Give me a minute and I'll work out what recipes still need testing.

Gazzlw - don't worry - if you get feedback to me tomorrow morning that would be great.

Melty - good news about the pizza dough. Did you fill in the feedback?

gazzalw Mon 28-Jan-13 10:04:34

Goody Catherine... have promised DD that we will do it this evening.

Has this project gone on a lot longer than you would have anticipated Catherine. Can't believe you started it in September???

CatherineHMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 28-Jan-13 10:12:24

Gazzlw - I think when you're used to doing things on t'internet - book publishing seems very much slower!

gazzalw Mon 28-Jan-13 10:14:49

Yes, you are right....one forgets that testing hundreds of recipes, fine tuning them and ensuring all the details are correct is not something to be achieved overnight! Thank goodness I don't work in book publishing grin!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now