Would you like to help us test recipes for the Mumsnet Cookbook?

(850 Posts)
CatherineHMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 24-Sep-12 13:02:59

Shhh .. don't tell everyone but we're working on a top secret new project in the form of The Mumsnet Cookbook and we need your help.

We'd like to get together a Mumsnet Cookbook cookery group to stop us from piling on the pounds help us test these shortlisted recipes.

Each volunteer will be allocated a recipe which they'll then cook for their family and give us some feedback on how easy, hard, good, bad, expensive etc they are and whether they'd make it again. All the recipes chosen were submitted over the years by Mumsnetters, so there shouldn't be any outlandish shock or particularly difficult to source ingredients - and they should all be pretty easy to make (we hope!).

As a thank-you, we'll be putting everyone who helps out into a prize draw to win a Bloomsbury cookbook.

And if that's not enough of an incentive, everyone who helps will have their *Mumsnetter nickname featured in the cookbook's acknowledgements.

gazzalw Tue 01-Jan-13 17:40:49

Right NinetyNinepercent, I've asked the question of Waitrose HQ. I am also wondering whether areas with sizeable Jewish communities might sell it such as Finchley Road Waitrose. Can anyone help???

Ninetyninepercent Wed 02-Jan-13 11:25:28

My Waitrose did have veal steaks, but not mince. So I guess maybe sometimes it might have mince? But I think it only sometimes has veal.

Huh....just checked on Waitrose online and they have veal mince - but say its no longer stocked at my biggest Waitrose. So I guess it must be available somewhere for waitrose as otherwise they'd have taken it off the site.

Ninetyninepercent Wed 02-Jan-13 11:28:14

ah, Ocado has it too!

gazzalw Wed 02-Jan-13 11:37:39

I've asked the question of their HQ and still awaiting a response (it might be a bit slow with things only just getting back to normal today). It's a pain - we don't usually shop with Ocado so not sure I'd be willing to go down that route...

Would really like to try these but not galavanting half way across London just to get a cooking ingredient (bah humbug!)

CatherineHMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 03-Jan-13 14:15:34

Happy New Year everyone! Sorry not to have responded before now - only back at MNHQ today.

GazzaLW - am thinking that if it's that tricky to find veal mince, we should maybe switch to a different meat. How about trying it with beef instead?

Ninetyninepercent - thanks for the pic and for filling in the survey.

snowballsandbaileysinashoebox and Iamstitch - did either of you make the balls in the end? Would be great if you could fill in the survey with your feedback.

MadeleineMorrow - yes please, would you do the tomatoes with tuna and feedback?

Melty - don't worry, am about to post some new recipes pretty soon on here for testing, so there's bound to be something for you.

CatherineHMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 03-Jan-13 16:02:18

Actually looks like we still have the Children's Frittatas that need testing. Anyone interested?

CatherineHMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 03-Jan-13 16:19:47

And another one - broken spaghetti with garlicky greens is up for testing too.

RaspberryLemonPavlova Thu 03-Jan-13 23:39:14

Catherine, I am happy to try the Children's Frittatas?

CatherineHMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 07-Jan-13 10:40:47

RaspberryLemonPavlova - thanks! Are you able to make them this week?

gazzalw Mon 07-Jan-13 12:35:06

Hi Catherine! Happy New Year to you too!
No worries, finally got a response from Waitrose Customer Service and have sourced my veal so should be able to make it over the next couple of days...

CatherineHMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 07-Jan-13 14:20:55

Gazzlw have you actually bought it yet? Did you see my earlier post about maybe if it's such a faff to get hold of, it may not be the best kind of recipe to include in the book?

gazzalw Mon 07-Jan-13 15:51:02

Oops...well I am happy to proceed if required/instructed (possibly with an alternative like beef as suggested?), but yes you are right about it possibly being difficult to source generally around the UK - we live very close to (although not in) very, very affluent areas where veal is more likely to be on the menu than would be the norm elsewhere in the UK - I would have thought....

Also quite expensive meat generally particularly to use for burgers.....If I was cooking with veal (which I'm not sure has ever happened) I would probably want to be more adventurous....

weegiemum Mon 07-Jan-13 15:52:29

Ll cook anything, try me!

CatherineHMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 08-Jan-13 12:57:45

weegiemum - how about this veggie stir fry?

twinklesparkles Thu 10-Jan-13 20:43:45

I've done the veggie stir fry smile nice enough, although I must admit I'm not partial to asparagus in stirfrys smile it was very nice though, the flavouring was lovely smile

A tad expensive,and lots of chopping preperation, but worth it smile a nice treat

CatherineHMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 14-Jan-13 12:42:08

Twinklesparkles - Oh good - glad you liked it. Did you put your feedback in via the form?

Kyrptonite Mon 14-Jan-13 12:48:19

I would like to test if the opportunity comes up again. I need new ideas.

Melty Mon 14-Jan-13 17:54:37

I did that broken spaghetti with garlicky greens. Missing some vital ingredients. Chili I think! and def not enough garlic. Have done the feedback form.

RaspberryLemonPavlova Mon 14-Jan-13 21:47:43

Just to say i did do the frittatas and put the feedback in.

They were nice and I will definitely use the basic idea, but I had difficulty with cooking them in individual cutters - found they leaked.

Melty Tue 15-Jan-13 08:42:04

I've added a vegetable stirfry to the recipes. For general interest as opposed to for CatherineMumsnet , although shes welcome to add if she wants. wink

Stir Fry Oriental Noodles

This is a very tasty and cheap recipe. Chicken can be added to it if required but its still very filling without.

I wonder about some of the recipes that have come up for testing. The ones I have done for Catherine have often lacked something. Do you think it's because it's Mumsnet, people don't seem to season the food? As in, have to feed the kids too, so no salt etc? Or have some people just got very bland palates? (Alternatively is it that my palate is distorted and needs extra seasoning?)

gazzalw Wed 16-Jan-13 07:43:52

I know what you mean Melty. Have a SIL who eats really bland (and over healthy) food....some people might call the flavouring subtle but I just call it bland and fairly tasteless...

Most things require herbs or seasoning to really bring out the flavours....

CatherineHMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 17-Jan-13 10:05:01

Hello everyone - we have some more recipes ready for testing. I'll post them here and if I don't hear back from you - I may PM some of you who've already said you're up for more testing.
These are all recipes for kids to help you with:

www.mumsnet.com/Recipes/i/2698-Pizza-dough

www.mumsnet.com/Recipes/i/5904-Crispy-chicken-dippers

www.mumsnet.com/Recipes/i/5732-Meringue-recipe

And there's one more to come...

gazzalw Thu 17-Jan-13 10:20:56

Quite happy to try out the meringues at the weekend with DD and DS, but we've tried quite a few recipes so happy to take a back seat if other Mumsnetters are keen to try them out...

CatherineHMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 17-Jan-13 10:50:47

Gazzlw - I have quite a few more to throw out - so do please do the meringue!

gazzalw Thu 17-Jan-13 10:52:57

grin at thought of various delish puddings made with meringues...and colourful ones too...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now