Would you like to help us test recipes for the Mumsnet Cookbook?

(850 Posts)
CatherineHMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 24-Sep-12 13:02:59

Shhh .. don't tell everyone but we're working on a top secret new project in the form of The Mumsnet Cookbook and we need your help.

We'd like to get together a Mumsnet Cookbook cookery group to stop us from piling on the pounds help us test these shortlisted recipes.

Each volunteer will be allocated a recipe which they'll then cook for their family and give us some feedback on how easy, hard, good, bad, expensive etc they are and whether they'd make it again. All the recipes chosen were submitted over the years by Mumsnetters, so there shouldn't be any outlandish shock or particularly difficult to source ingredients - and they should all be pretty easy to make (we hope!).

As a thank-you, we'll be putting everyone who helps out into a prize draw to win a Bloomsbury cookbook.

And if that's not enough of an incentive, everyone who helps will have their *Mumsnetter nickname featured in the cookbook's acknowledgements.

MrsJohnDeere Thu 08-Nov-12 17:48:11

Actually taste ok. Could do with an extra dimension (choc chips?) and a bit more sugar, perhaps. Dcs love them - have just eaten 2 each. Very, very quick and easy to make.

Welovecouscous Thu 08-Nov-12 18:27:22

That was speedy testing mrsjohn grin

snowballinashoebox Sat 10-Nov-12 16:41:24

banana muffins did not go down so well in our house which is obsessed with cake and ds left hisshock
Something is missing, maybe not enough fat to flour?

I used maple syrup instead of honey and they are just sweet enough, maybe another banana?
The raw mix tasted nice though!

CatherineHMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 12-Nov-12 10:17:34

Thanks for the muffin testing - looks like we still have to go back to the drawing boards with these as it's still 50/50 on the results.

DameMargotFountain - have you had a chance to put in your feedback for the Tomato soup?

gazzalw Mon 12-Nov-12 10:42:40

Catherine, would have thought banana muffins would have been a dead cert, so if there's divided opinion it's probably a thumbs down rather than thumbs up recipe?

Melty Wed 14-Nov-12 08:19:58

Have jsue emailed my pics of the soup.
Any other recipes that need testing/tweaking?

CatherineHMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 20-Nov-12 15:29:46

Three more recipes up for testing - who'd like to try them out this week for us? (ideally over the next two days)

Asparagus and smoked salmon tart

vegetable tart

Impressive tomato tart

gazzalw Tue 20-Nov-12 15:50:26

We'll do the vegetable tart, Catherine!

CatherineHMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 20-Nov-12 16:24:02

Gazzalw - thanks. Do you still have the link for the feedback form handy?

Melty Tue 20-Nov-12 18:14:23

Love to do the tomato tart if its still going.

Frontpaw Tue 20-Nov-12 18:17:40

Can I try the veggie tart? I'm veggie and a bit of a tart...

gazzalw Tue 20-Nov-12 18:24:41

No I don't but I think someone posted the link on the thread when we tried out the soup recipe when you were on holiday

Melty Tue 20-Nov-12 20:42:47

It was me:

Here you go

gazzalw Tue 20-Nov-12 21:30:07

Thanks again Melty....must get more organised!

CatherineHMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 21-Nov-12 10:13:13

Melty - do please do the tomato Tart and Frontpaw if you'd do the veggie tart too that'd be great.

Anyone up for doing the asparagus and smoked salmon tart?

CatherineHMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 21-Nov-12 12:11:19

We may have another soup one to test - how would someone like to try corn chowder?

CaseyShraeger Wed 21-Nov-12 12:15:24

I'll try the chowder, if you like?

CatherineHMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 21-Nov-12 12:39:11

CAseyShraeger - thanks so much! Will you let me know when you've made it and added feedback?

mignonette Wed 21-Nov-12 12:44:43

I have a perfect banana muffin recipe if you want drawing board adjustments? It has never failed anyone. How are you adjusting for variations in cooking equipment? In a test kitchen one would standardise equipment whereas in baking the choice of dark or light metal baking tins makes such a difference in some cake results and what one person deems a 'light metal' tin would be another persons not so light. Also silicon bake ware affects the process and results too.

CatherineHMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 21-Nov-12 14:02:58

Hi Mignonette - we'll defo take a look at that banana recipe of yours if we may. Would you add it as a recipe here? Thanks!

mignonette Wed 21-Nov-12 14:21:09

I have added it. I hope you try and enjoy. They can also be made as cookies if you chill the mixture for 2 hours prior to baking. I forgot to add that. You then take tablespoons of the mixture, roll into balls then flatten slightly onto a greased baking tray at least 5cm/2in apart. I place them on a reusable silicon baking sheet.

CatherineHMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 21-Nov-12 14:58:20

Mignonette - thanks!

mignonette Wed 21-Nov-12 15:05:12

Am now suffering anxiety that MNHQ will be the first people the recipe doesn't work for blush

CatherineHMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 21-Nov-12 15:22:39

Right then...who wants to put Mignonette's muffins to the test? grin

Chepstowmonkey Wed 21-Nov-12 15:50:07

Me me me please!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now