What is your most used cookbook?

(67 Posts)

You know, the one covered in flour and olive oil with pages stuck together? It's my birthday in a couple of weeks and I'm going to get my cookbook shelves revamped as a present. My most used at the moment are Jamie at Home and the Be-Ro baking book. I also like Rick Stein and River Cottage, and I use a lot of speciality ones like Curries of India, Taste of the Caribbean and Crazy Water, Pickled Lemons. What do I really need in my library?

As an aside, has anyone bought Jerusalem yet? I've had a flick through and it's a lovely book but not sure how useful it would be day to day.

Thanks smile

AuntyDiluvian Tue 25-Sep-12 15:36:29

Sarah Raven's Garden Cookbook is the first one I turn to for anything, especially when the veg box comes. It's arranged by main (veg - but not all vegetarian) ingredient, it's got lots and lots of recipes that work and don't usually require too many strange extras, and there are a few recipes from there which I now make all the time.
Also, it's beautiful (bright and stripy) and I buy it as a present for anyone I know who doesn't have it.

Pinner35 Tue 25-Sep-12 17:59:33

Nigella express and my daddy cooks. Love them both.

juneau Tue 25-Sep-12 18:06:26

Jamie's Dinners. Lots of lovely family-friendly recipes and most of them really easy and healthy. I tend to rip a lot of recipes out of magazines too and keep them in one of those folders full of plastic wallets - the kind of thing I would put a fancy presentation in back when I had a job! The ones I like best are from Country Homes & Interiors - they're always really yummy and seasonal.

lolalotta Wed 26-Sep-12 06:29:04

Be-Ro book and my Rose Elliot veggie cook books...

sensesworkingovertime Wed 26-Sep-12 19:01:54

Jamie OLIVER,( his guide to basic cooking can't remember title), Mary Berry's Complete Cook Book and Nigella's How to Eat.

AlwaysStandingOnLego Tue 02-Oct-12 09:16:49

It's got to be 'Apples For Jam - Recipes For Life' by Tessa Kiros. It absolutely knocks the socks off any other family friendly recipe book I've come across and has beautiful photos too. I use it at least twice a week. Amazing. Everyone needs this book!

PurpleGeekyGirl Tue 02-Oct-12 09:51:10

Rose Elliots complete vegetarian and Nigella's Domestic Goddess...

Woodlands Tue 02-Oct-12 09:59:59

We use Madhur Jaffrey's Indian Cookery at least once a week.

Lego what do you make from Apples for Jam? I keep looking at the pretty pictures and then reaching for Nigella! What's good?

musicalendorphins Tue 02-Oct-12 10:30:53

Good Housekeeping, I am on my second one now, the first was falling apart with a taped spine and many loose pages.

AlwaysStandingOnLego Tue 02-Oct-12 10:42:07

I think the recipe everyone asks for the most is the sausage and potato goulash (just made with normal sausages with skin taken off in my house!), but the chicken casserole is a winner too, as is the chicken sauteed with cheese and milk and the chicken escalopes with parsley and capers. Haven't tried many of the veggie recipes I must confess, but all of the fish dishes work really well too. The cakes are also great - the choc cake with choc icing is my standard birthday cake recipe now and the honey cake totally rocks! Saying all this my 3 year old is on hunger strike at the moment so tonight it's pasta with cheese. Doesn't hurt so much binning a plateful of food that didn't take much effort to make!!

pmTea Tue 02-Oct-12 11:15:35

my mum's and grandmother's handwritten recipes, plus Nigella

Ken Hom's Hot Wok
The Sainsburys Student Cookbook by Sophie Grigson (it's no use for students unless they're also accomplished cooks, but it's a fabulous book)
Curry by Vivek Singh

sieglinde Tue 02-Oct-12 11:32:13

Anne Willan's Country Cooking of France, known to us as Big Blue. It's absolutely brilliant. I've made the lot and all of them work.

The NY Times cookbook by Amanda Hesser has become my basic book for how to do stuff.

I generally have an ethnic cookbook on the go - at the moment it's Rose Petal Jam, a Polish cookbook. Dh loves Peter Gordon.

LinaLamont Tue 02-Oct-12 20:40:57

Delia's Complete Cookery Course. I'm onto my second copy!

exoticfruits Tue 02-Oct-12 20:55:06

Delia's Complete Cookery Course

manicmum66 Wed 03-Oct-12 13:56:10

Two votes: Delia's Complete Cookery Course (always make the pavlova from that, plus masses of other dishes) and Jamie's Ministry of Food

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now