AGA Yorkshire Puddings

(22 Posts)
BoiledEggandToastSoldiers Sun 16-Sep-12 11:04:18

Any top tips on making Yorkshires?

Have used the AGA roast book, they have come out like muffins, have tried Delia's recipe, which we used with our old cooker, they still didn't work.

I have made them first thing in the morning so the oven temp is still very high, but still no luck.

Any failsafe recipes would be fab, thanks. smile

BoiledEggandToastSoldiers Sun 16-Sep-12 17:51:20

Anyone?

mrspink27 Sun 16-Sep-12 22:29:56

I use a Mary Berry recipe from the Aga Book which comes with the Aga. It is the toad in the hole recipe and I just make sure the tin is mega mega hot. Usually I put it on the floor of the top oven for a good 10 minutes first and then put a spritz of oil in and leave for another minute or so. Then (and I know I shouldnt) I put the pan on the boiling plate while I pour in the batter. This then goes straight in on 4th set of runners. Dont usually have other things in the aga as this can affect the finished result. Dont put too much batter in the tin either as this can result in the muffin texture.

BoiledEggandToastSoldiers Mon 17-Sep-12 22:00:44

Thanks MrsPink, will look for the MB recipe on line.

Think I may have been overfilling the tins.

mrspink27 Mon 17-Sep-12 22:30:12

4oz (100g) Plain flour
salt
2 eggs
8fl oz (225 ml) milk

Measure the flour and salt into a bowl. Make a well in the centre of the flour and blend in the eggs with a little of the milk, with a whisk to make a smooth paste.
Blend in the remaining liquid to make a batter.
Beat really well. Leave to stand for 1/2 an hour (atleast)

Use either a 12x deep cupcake pan, 2x 4 pan yorkshire pudding tins or the small Aga roasting tin.

Roasting oven - grid shelf on 3rd set of runners. Heat tin in the oven with a little fat in until melted.
Remove the tin from the oven and pour in the batter.
Return to the oven and cook the 4 pan tin for 20-30 mins, or 15 minutes for small puddings or 30-40 mins for roasting tin.

Hope this helps!

BoiledEggandToastSoldiers Thu 20-Sep-12 20:28:57

Will try this tomorrow, thanks again MrsPink smile

mrspink27 Fri 21-Sep-12 11:26:02

Dont forget to report back!!

BoiledEggandToastSoldiers Fri 21-Sep-12 13:54:15

Am at the "leave to stand" phase, so far, so good! smile

BoiledEggandToastSoldiers Fri 21-Sep-12 14:45:53

They're in...

BoiledEggandToastSoldiers Fri 21-Sep-12 15:06:42

You are a star MrsPink, gone are the muffiny Yorkshires!

thanks

LeBFG Fri 21-Sep-12 17:50:49

After just cracking yorkshire puds, having followed all recipes to the letter, got fat sizzling in pan before hand etc etc I feel I can post on this. I gave up in the end. It was only when I got a cheap second electric fan oven I could get the 220/240 temp needed did I try one last time....and it worked a treat. I can't emphasis this enough: the problem was almost invariably over temperature. I've cooked with an aga and (sorry to say) never got good puds.

LeBFG Fri 21-Sep-12 17:52:21

Oh, just read you're last post OP! So, what do you think was the crucial thing you changed?

mrspink27 Fri 21-Sep-12 22:31:19

HURRAY!!!! I am secretly relieved that it went ok... What was different... less batter?

BoiledEggandToastSoldiers Sat 22-Sep-12 00:11:50

Less batter, and half the amount of flour.

Tried half the batter in a muffin tin, and the other in a 3" Yorkshire Pudding tin, and both came out beautifully.

Thank you!

mrspink27 Sat 22-Sep-12 09:11:17

grin

mrspink27 Sat 22-Sep-12 09:11:37

Your turn now LeBFG!!!

LeBFG Sat 22-Sep-12 12:53:12

The aga is at my mum's and we're about 2000 miles apart at the moment so I won't be trying any time soon mrspink wink. I will pass on the recipe however. Great to know.

MortaIWombat Sat 22-Sep-12 13:17:39

With an Aga, why shouldn't you put the yorkshire tray on the hotplate, please, mrspink?

Am now worried I'm going to risk breaking something... confused

mrspink27 Sun 23-Sep-12 09:55:29

It's to do with the tray warping with the extreme heat and therefore not having a flat bottom for contact with oven floor, or potentially not fitting into the runners.

Perfect every time here, always put tin on hot plate.

rebel

MortaIWombat Sun 23-Sep-12 20:16:32

Aha, I see. Thanks!

AgaMum Wed 09-Jul-14 14:44:33

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now