I'm doing a fondue, your tips please

(52 Posts)
Katiekitty Thu 13-Sep-12 18:05:36

I'm planning a fondue for Saturday night.

Any tips?

I have all the fondue kit and forks and what knot.

I'm veggie, so tips on what to dip into the fondue are most welcome.

p.s. It's for a hot date! I've decided to woo a man by cooking him a fondue! Will it work?

lazydays2 Wed 03-Oct-12 21:50:41

Garlic mushrooms for dipping are always a favourite here, and it has to be red wine with cheese surely!

bigTillyMint Sun 16-Sep-12 16:24:57

Mmmm, raclette smile

I didn't have anything to add to your thread, as everyone summed up the ingredients for a classic fondue perfectly.

You'd have made a Swiss woman proud!

A lot of people here have fondue on Christmas day, but they have fondue Chinoise, a broth in which they dip veg and delicate slithers of different meat rolled up.

A lot of people in Switzerland also just buy the ready mix cheese fondue kits, or the cheese mix from their local Coop or Migros. I was quite surprised, I thought everyone would insist on cooking from scratch.

What's next on the menu? Raclette? Rosti? grin

bigTillyMint Sun 16-Sep-12 14:48:07

Great! And love the retro fondue set smile

parttimedomesticgoddess Sun 16-Sep-12 13:30:18

Yay! smile

Katiekitty Sun 16-Sep-12 13:21:22

Hello!

The fondue was a resounding success wink

Picture of bubbling cheese now on my profile smile

Thank you one and all for your brilliant tips!

bigTillyMint Sun 16-Sep-12 12:39:59

Ooh yes, come on, did the fondue go down well?

parttimedomesticgoddess Sun 16-Sep-12 12:13:06

How did the date go Katiekitty?

SamraLee Fri 14-Sep-12 21:54:29

We do hot oil in a fondue and you can do your own little fried foods. Take your veggies (courgettes and onion strips are super yummy) dip them in flour, egg, then bread crumbs and stash in the fridge until your ready to fry.

Katiekitty Fri 14-Sep-12 20:42:06

I will!

Eeeek!!!!

bigTillyMint Fri 14-Sep-12 20:35:18

sorbet should be great - update us on how it goes!

Katiekitty Fri 14-Sep-12 20:34:45

Peppermint tea added to shopping list!

Katiekitty Fri 14-Sep-12 20:34:07

For after am planning lemon or mango sorbet.

Will stick to fondue being the main dish!

lucjam Fri 14-Sep-12 20:33:39

I have had many swiss students to stay and a few have cooked me fondue, is lovely but go slowly gosh it gives me a banging head. we usually have a peppermint tea after to cleanse the palate as its a bit claggy. should be fun though, enjoy!!!

bigTillyMint Fri 14-Sep-12 20:28:33

Fondue is VERY rich! We would generally have it as a main, with just some nibbles before and something very light after. Just make sure you either don't eat too much or only make a smallish amount so that you are not tempted to stuff yourself (learned from bitter experience. Every year grin)

Katiekitty Fri 14-Sep-12 20:19:40

Would I be better doing a small fondue as a starter and then doing a main course later on?

<worried now about cheese balls and cheese overload>

bigTillyMint Fri 14-Sep-12 20:08:41

Oh yes, and DO NOT drink beer with it - apparently it makes all the cheese form big balls in your belly in the night and makes you feel ill.

And as it's a hot date, take it really easy on how much you eat as you don't want to feel too full IYSWIM wink!

thinkfast Fri 14-Sep-12 20:05:10

Yum yum yum. Can I come next time to the fondue? Obviously don't want to crash the hot date. < hunts for fondue dish>

bigTillyMint Fri 14-Sep-12 20:00:11

Sounds good Katie!

Katiekitty Fri 14-Sep-12 19:50:54

Tilly - am planning a green salad on the side, simple dressing, finger food sort of thing. Served in a big dish, to be dished out into a little bowl each.

bigTillyMint Fri 14-Sep-12 19:48:22

We have fondue chez our French friends every Feb. He makes it with Beaufort and Comte, and a large amount of Apremont (white wine). We dip in staleish but good quality baguette, and eat it with salad and cornichons. It is delish!

Katiekitty Fri 14-Sep-12 19:45:39

Am making important note here:

DRINK the vodka.

Consider it done

Katiekitty Fri 14-Sep-12 19:44:26

Parttime - am currently in the kitchen and I have set aside The Perfect dish for pre-dips. smile

CMOTDibbler Fri 14-Sep-12 19:44:14

You want to drink the vodka grin its supposed to dissolve the cheese a bit to stop that middle of the night, stomach full of cheese feeling

Katiekitty Fri 14-Sep-12 19:41:49

Important additions to list:

Vodka
Eggs

Am sort of worried about the high cheese content, but as I'm a good size 18 lass, and I'm tall, I should be able to hide it for a day or so. Eek!

One important question - red or white wine? I don't know any more, both have been recommended!

I would go for white, but after couldtry suggested red, I am thrown into confusion confused

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now