Mumsnet Bread-makers - where do you get your fresh yeast from? And have you ever made your own?

(15 Posts)
Elderflowergranita Sun 17-Feb-13 15:53:59

I buy mine in a Polish supermarket.

Morrisons sell it. It's usually near the butter.

NoRoomForMeInMyBed Sat 16-Feb-13 10:54:04

Ocado sell fresh yeast, its in swedish packaging as Swedes bake alot with fresh yeast and its sold everywhere. It comes in 50gr cubes and will last a week or longer after its use by date if kept sealed in the fridge. Only when its going dry will it be loosing the will to live.

HeeHeeHeeBum Sat 31-Mar-12 17:54:43

Try the Dan Lepard sourdough starter recipe. I have made one and it makes fantastic sourdough.

swampster Thu 29-Mar-12 12:48:49
swampster Thu 29-Mar-12 12:47:12

And go read Kitchen Confidential: "Feed the bitch!"

Or try local healthfood shop.

Kellamity Thu 29-Mar-12 10:27:03

Off to Sainsburys this morning will see is I can get some - thank you smile

karmakameleon Thu 29-Mar-12 04:39:35

I used to get mine free from Asda. Sainbury's do it but for a small charge (pennies). Lasts for a few days, maybe a couple of weeks. I think you can freeze it but given the cost I never bothered. Does make the bread taste much better.

discrete Wed 28-Mar-12 19:41:23

I do it all the time. Have one on right now, in fact, as have accidentally cooked all the dough yesterday (oops).

It takes about 48 hours, then you just keep some dough back when you make the bread. We usually make bread every other day.

It really is easy peasy, and soo much tastier than shop-bought stuff (even the fresh one, as it is different strains)

Kellamity Wed 28-Mar-12 19:37:49

Ebay - never thought of that!

Thanks will try Sainsburys tomorrow. Do you know how long it lasts? Do you know when it's gone off?

Catsmamma Wed 28-Mar-12 19:26:17

tesco used to give it away.

just ask, I always used to feel like a terrible shoplifter with it in the trolley and not paying for it.!

i must go get some for hot cross buns...i love the feel of it too, waxy and cool

Have also made bread with a sour dough starter, but i used shop yeast to start it off, i think waiting for wild yeast can be quite a palaver!!

Takver Wed 28-Mar-12 19:20:28

I haven't tried recently but you always used to be able to get fresh yeast from supermarkets that bake their own bread - at the Sainsburys near where we lived then if you just asked one of the staff around the bakery they would sell you a lump.

swampster Wed 28-Mar-12 19:11:06

I haven't tried it - yet - but you can usually find a couple of people selling yeast starters on Ebay.

Kellamity Wed 28-Mar-12 19:06:24

Went to a bread making course last night. It was brilliant. We used the Doves Farm fast acting yeast but I want to have a go with fresh yeast as the tutor said it does taste better but they can't get it locally anymore as the local bakery has shut.

She talked about making your own wild yeast starter, (which she does at home). I might have a go but I wondered if anyone has tried this and how successful it's been.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now