NNote: This topic allows you to post a picture with your message using the Browse button under the Add Message box. You can only post one pic per message - and it will always appear above the text of your message, whichever order you browse/type in. If your pic doesn't load, try making it smaller (50KB max). We're afraid that you can't post up pictures if you're using the MN Talk App. And if you're not running IOS6 on your iPad or iPhone, you won't be able to browse for images on your Apple device.

Warning -Aspartame now in J20 Apple and Mango

(82 Posts)
Nansrus Tue 13-Dec-11 15:23:39

I have a couple of family members who have an allergic reaction to aspartame. It is real, as when unknowingly given some when dining out the reaction has been immediate. So I always search for drinks for them without aspartame for when they come round. J20 has always been a firm favourite and imagine my horror when I went to serve some the other day and just checking casually found it had aspartame in! I e mailed the company and the response
" I can confirm that we have added Aspartame to only the J2O Apple and Mango flavour.

As we are sure you will appreciate, we carry out extensive consumer research before putting any products in to the market place and we have found this product to be popular with our consumers. It is, however, extremely difficult to formulate a product to suit every palate. "

Why it was fine with sugar,why add aspartame as well you don't need both!

Leave the b*** drink alone.

bakingaddict Thu 05-Jan-12 10:20:05

Obviously there are numerous cases of drugs that have later been withdrawn, Vioxx quite recently...i've been a medical scientist for 10 years

i'm not some advocate for big pharma companies and I think that the public should have the choice regarding what medicines/compounds they want to use and any safety issues addressed through the proper channels. The point I was trying to make is that there should always be perspective taken when making that choice and that sometimes things get hijacked by people from both sides of the fence.

I'm not anti-traditional remedies or pro-pharma drugs, I think that as long as they have all been properly tested and licensed then they can both exist in modern medicine but for me lots of traditional medicines haven't had any rigourous testing and can be sold without the person having any medical background so cant offer informed advice to the consumer. If I go and purchase that herbal remedy can the person behind the counter or wherever reliably tell me the contra-indications if i'm taking other herbal remedies/drugs/medicines drugs? i.e the point i'm making is a lot of it is unregulated and operates outside of MHRA and I dont want to take that chance with my health or that of my family

There was an arsenic scare in chinese herbal medicines not so long ago and if you think of how people can nowadays manage once debilitating illnesses such as depression, HIV, Crohns disease to name a few as well as the chronic diseases such as diabetes, high blood pressure/cholestrol, agina. As new drugs come onto the market the survival rates for cancer increase, depending on whether NICE approves them but that's a whole different arguement. You cant tell me that increased cancer survival rates are down to herbal remedies alone and for those reasons i'll always hedge my bets with 'scientifically tested' drugs

ppeatfruit Thu 05-Jan-12 11:37:58

I'm glad you can see both sides baking. I follow a healthy diet for my own blood type and watch other people eating and drinking a load of shxx and expecting to be cured by G.Ps of their many ailments which are directly attributable to their terrible diets. It's weird that there are so many people changing what they eat to loose weight but not to get healthy.

You don't need to "manage'' yr diabetes if you haven't got it in the first place.

Nansrus Fri 13-Jan-12 20:11:11

Back to the aspartame problem.
I have had another phone call from Britvic head of customer service. She said they will not be adding aspartame to any other variety of J2O. And probably by the end of the year will have taken it out of the the Apple and Mango!
I would still check the ingredients though!
Was very keen to tell me about their products that do not contain aspartame, what does that tell you.

Rhyslop Mon 23-Jan-12 20:38:37

Aspartame is a poison to be avoided at all costs! For articles and videos on aspartame and it's effects see link below. Please copy and paste this link to everyone you know!!

http://philosophers-stone.co.uk/wordpress/?s=Aspartame&search=Search

caz2go Fri 13-Sep-13 12:06:48

Just seen the tv advert for Ribena immunity support drink .
I was just putting on my coat to rush down to the shop to buy a bottle when I just thought I,d check what it contains ,surely a drink aimed at children and promoted as "healthy" and especially coming from a trusted brand like Ribena would,nt contain the dreaded ingredient would it ?.
From what I could find out it certainly could ,so to be sure I have contacted Ribena on their live chat facility .
I asked the question ,does this product contain aspartame ? and low and behold my call was disconnected ...thankyou for contacting ribena !.
It seems this is a sensitive question they dont want to answer .
Sorry for posting on an old thread but this seemed the best place to have my rant !.

adagio Fri 13-Sep-13 12:18:10

Thanks for reanimating this old thread Caz I am now off to read a calpol bottle and rethink how to deal with teething - I hope I haven't caused any damage, she already had a few doses.

I naively assumed that as it didn't say 'sugar free' it would therefore be sugar syrup with paracetamol in.

gabbyevs Sun 09-Mar-14 11:18:39

ivejust looked up the ingredients of j20 and none of them say aspartame i thought it legally had to

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now