what is the best cut of beef for slow cooking?

(47 Posts)
MooMinCow Sun 30-Oct-11 22:55:47

really fancy a beef stew this week, but everytime I've made one in the slow cooker it's come out dry and chewy. I normally buy the stewing steak/beef from the supermarket and cook on low for 6-8 hours - am I using the wrong cut? have tried marinating, browning, not browning, but still not tender! (have no problem with lamb, curry comes out lovely!)

Am prepared to go to a butcher if it means my stew is tender enough to eat with spoon (dribble).

nappyaddict Fri 01-Feb-13 02:24:53

Just bumping this thread for more "dry" shin of beef slow cooker recipes smile

PigletJohn Tue 01-Nov-11 17:37:16

Gravy:

yes use the juices that will have come from the meat and vegs, and skim off any fat to make a roux with flour to thicken it, add red wine and sometimes that special chef's tomato ingredient for colour and taste.

However I like to cook the meat with roots and onions round it. By the time the meat is ready these vegs have turned to pulp and are not fit to serve, but you can whizz them up to add thickness and flavour to the gravy.

Make the gravy after you have taken the meat out and set it to rest, wrapped in foil. Preferably make it in the cooking pan.

vixsatis Tue 01-Nov-11 17:06:52

Another vote for shin: really unctuous

FruitSaladIsNotPudding Tue 01-Nov-11 16:57:12

Ok, I like the sound of this dry pot roasting technique. But do you make gravy, and if so, how? Using the juices?

And you think cook for about 4 hours? I guess that's a low oven.

Lizcat Tue 01-Nov-11 16:50:33

If you can get them ox cheeks are truly the best and also the cheapest usually around £4 per kilo. You do need to go to a real butcher who can request them from the Abbatoir.

FoofFighters Tue 01-Nov-11 16:11:46

thanks PigletJohn I will try not adding any liquids, I think that would improve my slow cooking smile

ScaryFairy28 Tue 01-Nov-11 12:44:47

I made great stew at weekend it ended up being cooked three times and was great. Was cooked for 5 hours Friday night, 3 hours Saturday, the 1 hour Saturday night in steak pie it was great!grin no browning just cooked in slow cooker with veggies and bisto and it was just tesco value stewing beef.

I used a boned shoulder joint on Sunday. Browned with onions and garlic, added a cup of red wine, worcester sauce and cooked at 170 for 2 hours. Had dh not been there i would have cooked a little less.

Very good value piece of beef, we got 3 days eating for 3 peeps for 8 euro!

It is very good - but it is a fatty meat, so if you have anyone who isn't keen on fat, then they may not like it.

Slubberdegullion Tue 01-Nov-11 12:28:38

mmm that looks seriously good BIWI.
I have pinned it.

This qualifies as 'dry' cooking, as it's just the lamb and onions - but the liquid that comes out of them both makes the final dish absolutely glorious.

Did any of you watch Simon Hopkinson's recent series The Good Cook? He did a fabulous recipe with rolled breast of lamb. I've amended it a little to cook in the slow cooker and it was even better!

www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/breast_of_lamb_baked_80591

Slubberdegullion Tue 01-Nov-11 12:04:44

On the strength of this thread I have ordered my first ever ox heart today, so it better be good PomBear grin. Any particular recipe or do you cook it in just a standard braised beef method?

Pot roast brisket is up there in my all time favourite meals.

PestoCaffeinisto Tue 01-Nov-11 09:12:31

Good luck Lulu smile

My mum also uses it to cook a tongue,

which might also be worth trying.....

if you're that way inclined wink

Lulumama Tue 01-Nov-11 08:09:10

ooh, thank you , i thikn am going to give it a try smile

PigletJohn Mon 31-Oct-11 19:51:59

I mean (for my pot-roast) that I put the browned meat and the browned vegetables in the pot, put the lid on tightly, do not add any water, stock, wine, wet stuff like canned tomatoes. So it cooks dry rather than being stewed or casseroled. Some juices and fat will come out of the ingredients as it cooks.

FoofFrighteners Mon 31-Oct-11 19:27:08

what does it mean using a 'dry' recipe? Sometimes I over-gravy it!

And I add my veg (chopped into big pieces) after the meat has been cooking for about 3 hours, so it's not mush by dinner time!

simonthedog Mon 31-Oct-11 18:52:11

shin is lovely, our sainsburys sells shin on the butcher's counter.

TheBolter Mon 31-Oct-11 18:50:00

Also I use stewing steak or shin - again from our local farmer.

TheBolter Mon 31-Oct-11 18:49:09

I've made a delicious stew out of braising steak this week - 3 hours in bottom oven of Aga.

It was from a local farmer who breeds rare herds though, bit nicer than supermarket beef. I think quality has A LOT to do with it.

ggirl Mon 31-Oct-11 18:46:55

we use feather steak

MoreBeta Mon 31-Oct-11 18:43:44

Shin or oxtail but it needs cooking reeeeaaaaly slow. Over 3 hours on a low temp in a covered crock pot sealed with foil in the oven if possible

PomBearAtTheGatesOfDoom Mon 31-Oct-11 18:38:53

I cook ox heart in the slow cooker just tell the family it's "beef" and it comes out deliciously tender and juicy and lovely. It's dead cheap too, so we can have a stew bursting with meat instead of having to count out three peices each and fish for them grin

PestoCoffinisto Mon 31-Oct-11 16:05:40

Lulumama , yes my Mum always cooks her oxtails in the slow cooker. It comes out fantabolissimos smile

Bellavita Mon 31-Oct-11 15:51:10

Will be ok in the fridge until Wednesday.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now