MN Cook Club - September suggestions, everyone welcome

(66 Posts)
ColdSancerre Wed 14-Sep-11 19:49:32

The idea is to have 'a book club for recipes' where every fortnight or so we choose some recipes to try, try them and report back on how easy they were, what went right, what went wrong and how everyone in your family liked them etc.

For special events like Halloween we'll see if we can do themed recipes and we'll have some weeks where the recipes are under a tenner, anything people want really.

For our first recipe club it's been suggested we have the following selection of recipes to try from:

1 starter
1 veggie main
1 meat/fish main
1 pudding

This is a thread for everyone to suggest recipes in those categories. I'll leave the thread open for suggestions until Saturday night then we can all vote on which we'd like to do.

So please post your suggested recipes from the above categories, either link to it or type it out.

LaWeasel Thu 15-Sep-11 12:30:32

I have no idea what choux pastry is <now feeling quite ignorant>

ColdSancerre Thu 15-Sep-11 12:31:49

The stuff you make eclairs & profiteroles with.

TobyLeWolef Thu 15-Sep-11 12:39:56

This is what TheSkiingGardener would have us making grin

JenaiMarrHePlaysGuitar Thu 15-Sep-11 12:55:37

I whipped up a tray of those before work this morning, Toby. For ds's cake sale.

TobyLeWolef Thu 15-Sep-11 13:01:18

I would have done, but I was busy with my croquembouche for the local homeless shelter.

I really must get more organised.

Kveta Thu 15-Sep-11 13:57:03

chorizo/pork belly thing gets my vote too!

would a preserves recipe be a good idea for this time of year too?

I love the jamie oliver toffee apple (or pear) pie for a dessert, or a nice eve's pudding - we should make the most of the seasonal fruit and veg!!

ColdSancerre Thu 15-Sep-11 13:59:07

Hugh FW suggested we try:

The Porotos Granados from the new River Cottage Veg book is a lovely, heartwarming, spicy squash, bean and sweetcorn soupy stew from South America. Serve it with homemade garlicky flatbreads and a red cabbage, parsnip, date and orange salad.

So, errr, anyone got a recipe for any of that?

ComradeJing Thu 15-Sep-11 14:02:10

I'm IN! Don't care what we cook but I may be restricted by what is and isn't available here.

TobyLeWolef Thu 15-Sep-11 14:03:03

Of course he did! He wants us to buy the book hmm

Also, my daughter doesn't like squash, so I'd have to give that one a miss.

TobyLeWolef Thu 15-Sep-11 14:04:17
ComradeJing Thu 15-Sep-11 14:04:28

grin Cold

ColdSancerre Thu 15-Sep-11 14:20:28

He responded to request for the recipe:

Just fry up a sliced onion, throw in half a kilo or so of cubed squash, sizzle for a while with a teaspoon of sweet paprika, a sprig of thyme and a pinch of chilli, then cover with veg stock and simmer. When the pumpkin is almost tender, add in the kernels sliced off two corn cobs, a handful of sliced green beans and a tin of cooked beans such as pinto or cannellini. Give it a few more minutes, check the seasoning and dish it up with flatbreads or a good crusty loaf. You can dot a bit of sour cream on it and scatter a bit of grated cheese over it too if you like.

Anyway once we have everyone's suggestions we'll have a vote and decide.

More suggestions please!

TobyLeWolef Thu 15-Sep-11 14:35:48

Oh THANKS A LOT, Huge Furry-Wishingstool. Now I feel bad for doing the humphy face.

Furball Thu 15-Sep-11 14:51:55

this 'preserve' is from another thread - and sounds easy enough?

LaurieFairyCake Thu 15-Sep-11 09:19:23
The actual cooking is no faff at all and if your apples are larger then it would be easier. I peeled the apples but didn't bother taking the core out or the top/bottom as I had so many and I just chopped the clean sides off to use in the chutney.

I got the recipe out of Red magazine this month:

1.5kg of apples
750g of light muscovado sugar
500g raisins
2 medium chopped onions
2 teaspoons mustard seeds
2 teaspoons ground ginger
one teaspoon salt
700ml of cider vinegar

Boil it all together for 40 minutes - mine took longer (about an hour and five minutes) to get that browny caramelised consistency.

Furball Thu 15-Sep-11 14:52:30

and yes to pork

californiaburrito Thu 15-Sep-11 14:55:06

Oh, Hugh just makes everything soooo easy doesn't he.

Good work getting the recipe, I'd definitely give it a go. And that pork and chorizo thing, I don't even have to look at the recipe. DH would love it (who, also, incidentally thinks that he gets a vote on this after seeing the thread open last night)

I'm off to find my cajeta (spicy caramel) recipe to suggest in light of these new suggestions.

californiaburrito Thu 15-Sep-11 15:05:04

Cajeta

1 qt goat's milk (or cow's)
1 cup sugar
1 tbsp golden syrup
cinnamon stick
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 tbsp sherry, rum or brandy, or whatever

Bring milk, sugar, golden syrup, and cinnamon to boil. Remove from heat and add baking soda mixed in a little water. WARNING mixture will start bubbling- stir down with spoon. Cook over medium/low heat for about 25-30 minutes, stirring frequently. Strain through sieve and add booze of you choice.

Can be poured over ice cream, or victoria sponge (with a little extra cream for good measure) depending on how much time you want to invest in the pudding.

Xiaoxiong Thu 15-Sep-11 15:16:38

I really like a lot of the ideas on this thread already, but in the interests of this not being a pure place-marking post here are four sort of seasonal suggestions:

starter: roast pumpkin/squash and chickpea salad with garlic tahini dressing

veggie main: butternut squash, mushroom and chard lasagne (though needless to say I wouldn't serve it at the same meal as that starter)

meaty main: pork chops boulangere (basically boulangere potatoes with pork chops layered inside, cooked long and slow)

dessert: tarte tatin made with pears? I'm not very good at desserts...usually we just have fruit and cheese...

brookeslay Thu 15-Sep-11 15:48:16

I wonder if we can make a cake once a month ? perhaps optional veggie or meat main to give flexibility.

Does Cake qualify as Pud ?? warm served with a slosh of cream ?

I was feeling autumnal and ordered the ingredients for cake

Similar is the Gary Rhodes Cake

Apple Cinnamon

350g cooking apples,225g self-raising flour, large pinch cinnamon, pinch nutmeg ,115g butter, roughly chopped ,115g soft brown sugar 2-3 tbsp milk 1-2 tbsp demerara sugar (single cream or creme fraiche to serve)

The Veggie from Hugh sounds great as does the pork.

ColdSancerre Thu 15-Sep-11 15:49:44

That apple cake sounds lovely. I love that people are posting recipes that have seasonal ingredients!

LaWeasel Thu 15-Sep-11 17:07:47

Okay, a bit of inspiration from the childhood food thread:

Stuffed hearts with mashed potato, red cabbage and pears

I can't be the only one that quite fancies trying it?

Kveta Thu 15-Sep-11 17:30:08

actually, if we're going seasonal, we should incorporate a lot of bloody tomatoes into the recipe! <grumbles about ruddy things taking over my house and garden>

pizza?! grin

I'd love to try this pasta pie one day too.

ColdSancerre Thu 15-Sep-11 21:19:01

God yes to tomatoes, I've got loads. Actually I'm going to make tomato and chilli jam with some over the weekend. Will let you know how it goes.

I did do some oven dried ones which I stored in jars in olive oil which are lovely.

I'm not a big fan of offal, so not sure about hearts. But then point of this is, we all post our suggestions then we all get a vote in each category. So post what you want to try, see if enough people agree with you!

I'm looking forward to trying whatever vegetarian recipe we agree on as we don't have enough veggie meals.

<Thinks about flouncing over swan ridicule, but realises no one would take a swan flounce seriously>

Not the stuffed hearts! Please! They were the nightmare of my childhood.

I see a lot of recipes that would take me out of my comfort zone, which is a very good thing. Still want to do pork belly and chorizo though.

How about a competition then. Choux animal of choice?

californiaburrito Fri 16-Sep-11 09:19:10

<conjures mental image of flouncing swans>

Let me just say that choux pastry IS a good idea. It's one of those things that is surprisingly easy yet impressive. Those of us who have never replaced our piping bags after moving country can just do round ones. With a little work I could probably conjure a choux turtle!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now