Thousands of courgettes!

(53 Posts)

Im sure here was a thread on this last week but I can't find it.

I am getting a carrier bag full of courgettes every few days, they are growing at an alarming rate some have turned into marrows, we've had them in nearly every meal and I'm getting bored now! Had them in pasta, stirfrys, roasted etc

Another ideas of things that I could possibly freeze?

CogitoErgoSometimes Mon 01-Aug-11 13:35:38

This is the time to start being generous and offload them to friends, relations, neighbours, the postman, Jehovahs Witnesses......

I've tried, no one wants them, took lots to ds' nursery but still have lots !!!

You can freeze them. I did, years ago.

You will need to slice them, blanch them, dry them and then lay them flat on a tray in the freezer (greaseproof paper on the bottom, and between each layer) until they are frozen. Then you can bag them up and store for later use.

ppeatfruit Mon 01-Aug-11 14:42:07

You say you stir fry them, have you tried grating them before frying with already fried onion and garlic and olive oil? DH and I LOVE them like that. you can also cut down the length of the courgette with a parmesan grater so really finely fry gently with garlic and then pile on toast with grated goats cheese DELISH!!

CogitoErgoSometimes Mon 01-Aug-11 14:50:41

There is a reason you can't give courgettes away and it's because they're pretty boring. There's only so much fried courgette you can eat before you start hallucinating about a nice bit of broccoli. Guessing you've got an allotment? Next year grow something you enjoy smile

thestringcheeseincident Mon 01-Aug-11 15:45:03

we do a very delicious courgette pasta? fry the discs of courgette down, add garlic, bit of creme fraiche and serve with pasta and tonnes of parmesan.

also a very nice grilled courgette salad with pine nuts, chilli and feta?

lisianthus Mon 01-Aug-11 15:52:12

There is a great recipe in the recipe section for chocolate courgette cake. It is fantastic!

Jux Mon 01-Aug-11 16:05:23

You could put a box of them on the street with a sign saying Helop yourself.

Jux Mon 01-Aug-11 16:06:07

Well, it could say Helop yourself, but you'll probably get better results if it says Help yourself.

Dunno though......

AmberLeaf Mon 01-Aug-11 16:10:49

My dad grows millionsof them, ratatouille [sp] is very good for freezing down.

Another delish way of cooking them is to slice across about half a cm thick and shake them in a bag of seasoned [salt pepper herbs] flour and then fry.

I want some now!

SenoritaViva Mon 01-Aug-11 16:12:17

I made something DELICIOUS with them yesterday. I'll add to the recipes when I get a chance and link it...

I am actually jealous.envy I am growing courgettes for the first time this year. Everyone promised I would get truckloads. So far I have... NONE!angry

Slugs got three of the plants and the one remaining plant hasn't produced anything yet. My kids love them. Sob! Favourite is courgette fritters - grated courgettes, egg, bit of flour and milk. Cook and gobble.

I am now forced to buy courgettes. Wish you lived near me.

Chandon Mon 01-Aug-11 16:19:07

the fritters are FAB as a meal if you add some chopped mint and crumbled feta to the mixture!

Chestnutx3 Mon 01-Aug-11 16:20:33

How many courgette plants do you have, MIL recommended only planting one and its not enough, next year two at least. I love courgettes.

Courgettes are brilliant for bulking out curries. After its been curried, it no longer looks like a courgette, or tastes like a courgette, so its a good way not to have to buy more expensive veggies to put in a curry. Oooh I just fancy a poppadum now...........

sancerrre Mon 01-Aug-11 16:33:31

Sell / give them to a market trader to sell.

onepieceofcremeegg Mon 01-Aug-11 16:35:11

Offer them on freegle/freecycle?

ChrissasMissis Mon 01-Aug-11 17:42:29

Am so jealous - I love courgettes and have recently moved to a place where I have nowhere to grow anything at all!

I absolutely love courgettes barbecued. I slice them on the diagonal to the thickness of a pound coin, brush them with oil, season and then barbecue lightly on each side. A quick squeeze of lemon juice over the top before serving livens them up a bit.

You can also griddle them in the same way and then add them to a warm salad of spicy, peppery leaves, your goats cheese of choice and a dressing made of toasted cumin seeds, olive oil, garlic and lemon juice. This works really well with lamb.

Courgette cake is pretty nice too. Maybe this link will give you a few more ideas - Nigel knows his stuff!

www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2009/aug/16/nigel-slater-courgette

LynnCSchreiber Mon 01-Aug-11 17:45:18

Chop them up really small and hide them in Spag Carbonara.

Ultimate steath veg. My DC didn't even notice them and they don't eat courgettes.

Annunziata Mon 01-Aug-11 19:19:54

Fry slices and put them in panini. Absolutely amazing.

Or, fry slices and place them in layers covered by tomato salsa, some pecorino, basil, tiny pinch of salt. Some people put slices of hard egg between the layers too.

If you fry the slices though, leave them for about half a hour before adding them to anything, so they aren't soggy.

PhylisStein Mon 01-Aug-11 20:30:32

My DC just came back from the farm shop with bright yellow courgettes - are they just the same?

Stuff them - dry bolognaise mix with grated cheese on top and in the oven - yummy.

In arribiata with chorizo - yummy pasta sauce.

In a chicken curry - very yummy.

Bohica Mon 01-Aug-11 20:42:17

You could make loads of red sauce to use with pasta, lasagne, spag bol etc.

Passata & then roasted courgettes, onions, toms, red peppers, garlic cloves - whizz it all togeather & then freeze in batches.

hpsaucy Mon 01-Aug-11 20:48:26

courgette cake is lovely.

Wow loads of replies! The allotment is a joint venture with my dad, last year nothing grew so we planted loads this year thinking the odds were we'g get at least a few, somehow we have ten plants! I made a chocolate courgette cake, I'm not sure if I like it though!

I'm going to make some of the above recipes though and I will print off for next year!!

I usually buy courgettes and they are pretty expensive so they seemed a good idea!! grin

ppeatfruit Tue 02-Aug-11 10:05:35

phylisstein the yellow ones are gorgeous!! more tender than the green and you can use them in the same way OR when they're VERY fresh and small you can quickly steam them whole and while warm put in a lemon,garlic and olive oil dressing with whatever herbs you like.

stormina You can also use the flowers for stuffing and quick deep frying . It's a bit fiddly though!

littleyellowchicken Sun 07-Aug-11 22:51:11

build a log cabin?

AngryFeet Sun 07-Aug-11 22:59:41

Cut them into slices and deep fry them in batter. Yum love courgettes. Offer them on MN grin. I'll have some!

tiokiko Mon 08-Aug-11 08:55:41

Chop into tiny dice and saute in olive oil until v tender, add some chopped garlic and saute for a couple of mins.

Mix with some finely chopped spring onions, herbs (whatever you have - I use flat leaf parsley & basil), breadcrumbs, parmesan, egg. Season v well.

(Can't be specific about qty as it depends how many courgettes - I think I used 1 egg, handful each of breadcrumbs and cheese to about 5 courgettes).

Shape into little balls and put on a greased baking sheet then into oven at 180 for about 12-15 mins. Really nice with tomato sauce/salad/pasta (as veg 'meatballs') or as a nibble with drinks.

They also freeze perfectly - freeze uncooked then thaw before cooking. I was sceptical about whether they would freeze and also whether they would be good done in the oven vs frying but they are great and v easy to make. DD (2.8) loves them.

tiokiko Mon 08-Aug-11 08:56:53

Also love these Courgette Mint & Feta fritters. Haven't tried to freeze them but reckon it's worth a try.

Bubbaluv Mon 08-Aug-11 09:41:15

Grated into chocolate cake - even a packet mix cake is wonderful with a courgette grated in. All moist and delicious and almost healthy!

Have just finished a fab lunch based on courgettes, and it's a brill way of freezing them. Ratio of 1 tin toms to about 2 med courgette or 1 massive! Make as much as you can as it's a bit time consuming but freezes brilliantly and can be used as a tomato base for any dish.

Fry off an onion. Then add a couple tins toms in pan and bring to the boil. Add chopped garlic to taste (I also add black olive and sundried tomato tapenade - but is still lovely without). Good squeeze of tom puree, and 1/3 to 1/2 bottle red wine you could also add chilli flakes and whole olives at this stage if you like things a bit spicier. Do this on a day when you can just leave it to simmer away. Three or four hours or until it is really thick. This long slow cooking tranforms this from a bog standard ratatouille to somthing really mind blowing.

When it's ready get a hot deep fryingpan, v hot olive oil and add your chunky diced courgette or summer squash and really big chunks of different coloured peppers (about 2 whole peppers). Keep it moving, the pan will darken a bit but don't panic. The idea is to colour it and add some smoky flavour without cooking it. At this stage you could also add whole french beans (I have a massive glut of those too). As soon as it has coloured up, add a splash of balsamic to deglaze the pan, then turn the heat off. Tip the thickened tomato sauce in and stir together.

Either freeze as is in portions or add to cooked pasta and freeze. I had some on toast with a poached egg on top (one of the first from our newly acquired chickens, another taste sensation!!). It really has to be eaten to be believed how good all these really simple ingredients can be.

The biggest thing is to barely cook the courgette so that it remains almost crunchy. Lovely at the time and stops it from turning to mush when frozen and thawed.

Also in the oven for the last 15 mins of cooking a roast, big chunks on a metal tray generous knobs of butter, salt and white pepper, and fresh thyme. Again, out of this world.

I'm not v fond of courgettes but I made some fritters last night and they were gorgeous:-

Chop 2 courgettes finely (you can grate them but I hate grating!);
Stick them in a bowl with about 150g self raising flour and half to a whole packet of feta. You can add chopped spring onions but I hadn't got any!
Beat two eggs then mix into the courgette/flour/feta mix.
Add black pepper and chilli flakes.
Shallow fry small fritters- I could fit 4 small ones in my pan each time and overal this made 12 small delicious little fritters.

overall

stressedHEmum Mon 08-Aug-11 21:15:01

Here you go tons of courgette recipes to keep you going.

I have made courgettes for the last three meals in a row here.

Creamy courgette pasta:

bag pasta, cooked as per packet
4 or so courgettes, grated
good amount chopped garlic (maybe 5 cloves)
1/2 box philly type cheese
6tblspns or so double cream
1tblspn dried parsley
plenty salt and pepper

fry courgettes and garlic in olive oil until soft and beginning to brown. Add cheese, seasoning and parsley. Stir about until cheese starts to melt. Add cream and mix until you get a saucy consistency. Mix through cooked pasta.

Courgette pissaladiere

Make a bread dough with 500gms flour.

Slice a large onion and fry in olive oil with about 5 cloves of chopped garlic, until soft. Roll the bread dough out flat to about 12 by 15 inches and spread the onions over it. Slice about 1lb of courgettes and lay the slices over the top of the onions. Top with dried rosemary, salt and pepper, drizzle with olive oil. Let rise for about 1/2 an hour or so then bake for about 1/2 n hour at 180. Take out, sprinkle with grated cheese and put back in oven for 5 minutes until cheese is melted.

Courgette frittata

Slice 3 decent sized courgettes, Chop an onion and a red pepper. Fry in olive oil until soft and beginning to colour. Pour into a lasagne dish and grate a couple of ounces of cheese over the top. Beat 9 eggs together and pour over the veg and cheese. Bake at 180 for 20-25minutes, until set and starting to colour. Leave in dish for 5 minutes or so, turn out and serve in slices. This is also very good cold in sandwiches.

All these serve 5-6 depending on age and appetite.

Ditto on:
- Fritatta
- Carbonara style pasta (Jamie has a recipe which is great)
- Add to curry/stir fry
- Soup (better than it sounds, just use plenty of potatoes/herbs/seasoning/creme fraiche or soft cheese to give it body)
- Fritters
- As a side veg with plenty of garlic, tomato and seasoning
- Ratatouille type affair with peppers etc and a yummy pork steak!

moresleepsoonplease Thu 11-Aug-11 10:30:57

I add them to curries, pasta dishes, spag bol etc..
We also have courgette soup, courgette lasagna and I do a recipe from 'Economy Gastronomy' which is a big filo pie with courgettes, chickpeas for which I double the amount of courgettes that they suggest smile

Found this site yesterday which had some nice looking things on it..

www.courgetterecipes.co.uk

OhdearNigel Thu 11-Aug-11 17:33:07

There is a lovely courgette cake in Domestic Goddess, that's where my allotment courgettes often end up. It is yum

GeorgeEliot Thu 11-Aug-11 20:42:29

Courgette soup is easy to make and freezes well.

The nicest way of cooking courgettes I know is to slice very thinly and cook very slowly in large pan with olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper until they have given up all their moisture and turned into a delicious soft mush. You must cook v slowly and stir a lot so they don't brown at all. Takes about 40 mins. The volume is greatly reduced and what's left freezes very well and then can be used as a basis for pasta sauce (add cream), in risotto or add stock and milk to make a soup.

George Eliot - I love the sound of that slow cook to mush idea... I am on a courgette soup making extravaganza today, but have more than I need for the amount of stock I have, so will be trying your lovely idea. Being able to freeze is such a bonus!

Thanks

ballinderrymum Mon 15-Aug-11 23:07:25

i made a lovely courgette soup. 1lb of courgette, a large potato, (softened for 10 ish mins) add 2 stock cubes, and 2 pints of boiling water and 8 basil leaves (bit specific but it worked). when veg is softened in the water blitz and then add 4oz of cheddar cheese - it is delicious. i spent yesterday looking for courgette soup recipes and this was the easiest and it was really nice. my daughter ate it too but she hates veg smile good luck. by the way have you ever tasted raw courgette? it is gorgeous

I make courgette bread (probably like your courgette cake) it has a lot of cinammon in it.

I also make Emeril Lagasse's 'It's a Good Morning' Muffins. I replace the parsnips in his recipe with grated courgette. It uses a couple of courgettes in each batch. I freeze them and then make a good dessert for school lunches.

My friend persuaded me to make courgette cookies last year. They were unpleasant.

Courgette Bake.
1 onion
Multiple courgettes
Garlic
Cheese
Potatoes
2 eggs and then add enough milk to bring up to 300 ml.

Microwave potatoes and slice.
Fry onion and garlic until brown.
Slice courgettes and fry with onions until softened.

Layer courgette mixture, potato slices, grated cheese a few times.
Pour the egg/milk mixture over the layers.
Bake in the oven at 375F for about 30 minutes.

archieleach Fri 19-Aug-11 15:42:17

Pickle them with herbs and oil. Or,
Don't wait til they have grown, pick the flowers, stuff with goats cheese, egg and breadcrumbs and then fry. Outrageously good. Probably too late for you this year I know. Try it next

don't let them grow full size. pick the flowers and the baby courgettes at the base of them (about 2in long). finely chop and add to any pasta sauce right at the end of cooking, or fry in garlic butter for just 2 min and use as a pasta sauce in its own right with a bit of grated cheese. by picking them small you get through many more courgettes, they taste much sweeter and you're eating something that can't be bought in the shops.

deliakate Thu 25-Aug-11 21:40:52

Not sure if anyone has mentioned Madhur Jaffrey's prawn and courgette curry, but its delicious, and freezes well.

trixymalixy Thu 25-Aug-11 21:46:49

Nigella's courgette cake.

My favourite soup is courgette and cashew.

I grate them into bolognese and chilli to bulk it out and get more veg into the kids.

LaMujer Sun 28-Aug-11 22:56:02

I make soup with mine! Courgette and blue cheese soup. just cover sliced courgettes with water and boil, add a veg stock cube for flavour, some herbs and mild chilli powder. When cooked, blitz it all with a blender then add a block of stilton or other strong blue cheese and stir until melted. Gorgeous.

A friend has also suggested (for the marrow type ones) stuffing them with minced lamb, chopped tomatoes, onions etc, by scooping out the flesh and cooking all together, then spooning back in rind, and cooking for a while, then add grated cheese on top to finish off.

Enjoy!

eandz Sat 10-Sep-11 10:59:09

can I have them?! I love courgettes! i'll pay!

Earthymama Sat 10-Sep-11 11:12:05

THank you, thank you OP for starting this thread!
People have taken to hiding when they see me in case I insist they take some courgettes. I always plant a couple of extra seeds just in case they fail to germinate (has never happened) then I can't bear to throw the plants away. Everyone else has done the same so there are huge mounds of marrow sixed cougettes on each plot hoping people will take them.

I am far too tight thrifty to do that!
We are having a very heavily courgette based lasagna today.

I have to smuggle them into my daughter's kitchen and hope she doesn't notice grin waves!! Luckily DGS3 loves them but he is only 10 months old so a whole one the size of a mini-torpedo lasts him ages.

I'm going to try some of the recipes and also freeze the buggers.

missmartha Sat 10-Sep-11 13:36:18

A quick cheap and delish recipe for courgette and lime cake.

2 packets Tesco/Sainsbury Value cake mix
1 large courgette
1 lime

Method

Heat oven.

Make cake mix as per instructions on packets adding the grated courgette.

Grease and line swiss roll tin.

Pour cake batter into tin and bake in oven until golden and firm, 15 mins-ish

Cool cake.

Mix a few tbls icing sugar with the juice and zest of a lime until it will pour but only just. It shouldn't be too runny.

Spread over cake and leave to set.

Cut into brownie size pieces and eat.

AvengingGerbil Sat 10-Sep-11 13:47:19

Has no-one suggested making chutney yet? I've made six kilos of courgette chutney so far this summer. Hugh F-W's 'Glutney' recipe works well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now