How long can I soak Tilda basmati rice?

(4 Posts)
iWILLdothis Thu 14-Apr-11 18:46:28

Have had rice soaking since about 4pm today. Was gonna make chicken curry & rice, but then DH rang just before I started cooking to ask did I want a Chinese....it's not often he suggests that and I'm knackered, so I jumped at the offer. Can I just leave the rice soaking overnight and use it tomorrow? Also had pot of single cream for the curry sauce and the use by date was today....think that'll be ok to use tomorrow also? (I'm pregnant , if that makes any difference.)
Tia

P.S. it's ages since I ventured over to the food topic....loving the meal planning threads, giving me lots of ideas

I never soak rice, but I can't see what harm it will do to leave it. Try it and see, and if it goes weird just start with fresh tomorrow.
The cream will be fine, you'll tell a mile off if it's not.

Xiaoxiong Thu 14-Apr-11 18:58:56

Hmm, I would have thought soaking rice for more than a couple of hours would make it go mushy when cooked. I usually soak older or brown rice so that it's softer when cooked but that's never more than 1-2 hours, so if you started with white basmati and soaked for 24 hours I think it would be too soft for anything but congee.

I would cook the rice tonight, put it in the fridge and use it to make egg fried rice or kedgeree.

cybbo Thu 14-Apr-11 19:03:59

I never soak rice either-just rinse for a bit

but it grows in water doesnt it so it wont harm it

cream wil be fine, I'd sniff it and see!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now