How much does YOUR family spend a week on food?

(134 Posts)
MickeyMixer Fri 21-Jan-11 14:00:11

How much do you spend each week on food and cleaning products? We are a family of five and I'm really very organised with detailed lists and recipes etc. We don't have any waste at all either but I still seem to spend a lot. What's normal?? Do I have to resort to LIDL or ALDI?

DiscoDaisy Fri 21-Jan-11 14:02:15

We're 2 adults and 5 children. I spend between £100 - £120 on our weekly shop and then another £10 in the week on top ups.

Scootergrrrl Fri 21-Jan-11 14:04:11

We spend between £100 and £130 a week but that's for all the food, cleaning stuff, toiletries, nappies, dog food etc. What do you spend OP?

nobodyisasomebody Fri 21-Jan-11 14:07:32

Two of us, ds9 and me.

I spend a maximum of £40 on everything. Usially £20 or £30.

MickeyMixer Fri 21-Jan-11 14:08:27

I spend about £100 p.w. in the supermarket and another £20 p.w. on extra milk/bread etc. locally.

coldtits Fri 21-Jan-11 14:09:16

£40/50

I shop at morrisons and I shop carefully.

coldtits Fri 21-Jan-11 14:09:41

We are 1 adult, 2 children and a cat.

ChasingSquirrels Fri 21-Jan-11 14:10:48

Me & 2 dc's (8 & nearly 5) although they spend 2 overnights with their dad.
I spend between £20 and £70 depending on whether I do a shop (£40-£70) or just use stuff up and get milk, bread, bits in.
I guess on average £50?

Scootergrrrl Fri 21-Jan-11 14:11:40

Forgot that bit - £100-130 covers two adults, three children and a dog. All have packed lunches and we don't eat out.

deemented Fri 21-Jan-11 14:14:32

Theres two adults and three children.

Anywhere between £70 - £100 a week. This week it was closer to £100 as i bought dishwasher tabs and babywipes - neither of which i usually buy weekly, more like six weekly, so i'll be £15 better off next week, iyswim.

Rindercella Fri 21-Jan-11 14:15:01

Too much.

There's me, DH, DD1 (3.5) and DD2 (9mths).

My weekly shop is around £140 a week, and probably £120 of that is on actual food stuff. Plus I top up at local deli/farm shop - about another £30-£40 per week.

Admittedly, my shop has gone up a lot recently as DH has been advised only to eat organic produce, and that obviously costs more.

Herecomesthesciencebint Fri 21-Jan-11 14:15:31

probably about £200 most weeks if Im totally honest but thats pretty much everything as I pack our lunches (altho we have a meal out at weekends usually).

I could do it cheaper, I buy high welfare meat and organic milk etc.

We are 2 adults 2 children

LostArt Fri 21-Jan-11 14:15:37

I spend about £80 a week on an internet shop. Then about £40 every bloody time I pop into the shop 'just' for milk and bread.

nagynolonger Fri 21-Jan-11 14:16:20

I spent £114 yesterday. For me, DH and 3 teenagers. It didn't include any cleaning stuff, washing powder or loo rolls because we didn't need any. And no wine. We will need to shop for extra bread, milk etc during the week. Also spend extra for school meals x 3.

CockneySparra Fri 21-Jan-11 14:16:52

£80-100 pw for a family of four, including things like loo roll, cleaning products, laundry detergent etc. It is breaking us financially at the moment. The price of food has definitely gone up. I would like to get it down to about £60 but no can do, plus I spend a fiver on online deliveries each week, but this is a necessity for us.

figcake Fri 21-Jan-11 14:17:27

4 of us around £50 if we don't eat out, otherwise 3 times that perhaps - we area a foodie family. I have found that NOT shopping online has made cooking a joyful experience once again - I love buying ingredients for that day or next day and I can swear it is cheaper

CockneySparra Fri 21-Jan-11 14:18:04

...oh and, like LostArt, I seem to bleed twenty pound notes every time I pop in to Tesco's for some milk. Grrr.

MickeyMixer Fri 21-Jan-11 14:18:41

LostArt - I think that's my trouble - the 'just popping out for milk' bit!!!

bumpybecky Fri 21-Jan-11 14:21:14

about £100 (budget is £400 per month) and we are 2 adults, 4 dc (12,10,5 and 3), one dog and two cats

includes most lunches (two dc have school dinner on friday only), all cleaning stuff, toiletries, pet food, odd takeaway and wine

MickeyMixer Fri 21-Jan-11 14:21:17

CockneySparra - food HAS got more expensive lately hasn't it? Its not just me being more extravagant is it? I'm glad I'm not the only one struggling...

MollysChambers Fri 21-Jan-11 14:21:35

More and more each time I go.

Usually £80-90 a week for 2 adults, 3 young kids and a cat.

Try to go no more than once a week or it would be far more!

Saltire Fri 21-Jan-11 14:22:09

Well next week it will be about £10, as just had to cough up £700 for car <cries> usually though it's about £60-80

nagynolonger Fri 21-Jan-11 14:22:22

I find sending DS5 to get the extra bits works well......They won't serve him with wine, and he never thinks to buy me a magazine!

I can make a chicken stretch to 4 meals for 4 people.

Not really but I wanted to be first.

sherby Fri 21-Jan-11 14:24:01

Last week £130 but that included washing powder/nappies/toiletries

Today £83 but will probably top up £20 in the week

Two adults, two DC and a baby

MickeyMixer Fri 21-Jan-11 14:24:21

That is one stretchy chicken!! grin

ReclaimingMyInnerPeachy Fri 21-Jan-11 14:24:41

£150 for everything for 6 and a cat, but we buy a lot of special diet foods that cost £'s, and that is nappies etc as well. packed lunches for 3 / 4 children, and DH and I have lunch from home too (ds3 has lunches at his SNU)

waitwhat Fri 21-Jan-11 14:24:46

Fr too much on food alone for 2 adults and a 8 year old: £120-£140 a week

MarioandLuigi Fri 21-Jan-11 14:26:21

I normally spend about £100 a week in Sainsburys and then have a couple of top-up shops which adds £20. Thats for 2 adults and three children. I like nice food though whch is why its so high blush

waitwhat Fri 21-Jan-11 14:26:21

Far nor fr

sherby Fri 21-Jan-11 14:27:12

Food has noticeably gone up.

Marmite nearly £2 for a small pot, flour is much more expensive than usual, meat seems about the same as does fruit and veg. Bread has gone up but that's probably to do with the flour

We have started buying our eggs from local sellers, cut down on meat and any fluff from the shop <yes DH, the milkshakes, caramel shortbreads, expensive biscuits and 4 different types of crisps>

fifi25 Fri 21-Jan-11 14:27:26

I use tesco on line and for the last month my weekly shop is increasing. I have tried asda which was even more expensive. Before christmas i considered £100 to be a huge shop now its just the regular weekly food bill and then about £20 on essentials at the weekend. I prefer online shopping as u can do it all week and add to it or do it when kids asleep and plan your meals. If i go to the supermarket with my 2 year old i tend to just chuck anything in the trolley.

Ihavebeencreditcrunched Fri 21-Jan-11 14:27:49

2 adults & 2 kids

I spend £300 at the start of the month online and budget £40 per week for bread, fruit & veg and whatever else

I am probably going to cut back because the prices are crazy.

annapolly Fri 21-Jan-11 14:28:50

Try to stick to £120 but doing SW and seem to be buying more throughout the week.

germl Fri 21-Jan-11 14:31:02

£60-£80 a week with delivery for 4 adults and one 2 year old. That's cleaning stuff and nappies every other week. That gives us lunches for 7 days and dinners for 5/6 days which isn't too bad, and we might have the sneaky takeaway and a sandwich if we are out. My mum is helping me as I'm not well and so we can get organised planning meals and use everything up.

muminthecity Fri 21-Jan-11 14:31:07

I spent £80 in Sainsburys today for me and DD, mainly food plus a few toiletries. DD has packed lunch every day and I work from home, so have lunch here every day. We eat out about once a month or so, no takeaways.

MickeyMixer Fri 21-Jan-11 14:31:15

annapolly - SW here too - cake is a lot cheaper than fresh pineapple I've noticed.

FanellaFidge Fri 21-Jan-11 14:31:21

Honestly? About £160 all in.

I like to think of it as £100-£120 though, this is what the week's shop comes to, but we always need a bit extra half way trough the week.

2 adults, 2 small children (nappies full time, nappies at night)

biglips Fri 21-Jan-11 14:32:19

average - £40...
monthly big shop - £50 - 60 (nappies, household stuff etc)

Lidl and Aldi are very good shops IMO. Don't feel you have to 'resort' you will get a pleasant surprise by going there.

Lidl's free range chickens are excellent and delicious and make 2 meals for our faily of 2 adults and 2 children. Milk, butter, bread all cheaper there. Great frozen white fish and salmon too.

I tend to rotate around 1 x Tesco online shop, 2 Lidl shops and top up from Sainsbos which is my closest. Would probably spend about £80-100 per week at a guess excluding alcohol.

PDR Fri 21-Jan-11 14:38:10

3 adults and 1DC (in nappies)

£120-150 / week on food & cleaning products & toiletries (except my shampoo)

2 adults buying lunch at work 5 days/week so another £40 for that (£20 each)

I spend £50 every 3/4 months on shampoo & conditioner.

So roungly that equals £180/week

HoorahHilda Fri 21-Jan-11 14:38:53

£100 ish
plus couple of top ups milk etc
TOO much. 2 adults 3 children age 3 to 7

t

PDR Fri 21-Jan-11 14:39:53

The laundry detergent at Lidl is very good. I usually get commercial sized Fairy Non-Bio from cash & carry but if they don't have Fairy I go for Formil non-bio.

Average about £60 per week, that is for 2 adults, one child a dog and a cat. We get a delivery every 5-6 days which hovers about the £40 mark each time and one £9 veg box per week. We eat lunches at home (work from home) and have the occasional meal out.

abouteve Fri 21-Jan-11 14:43:38

1 adult, 1 teen. Around £55, mostly fresh food, very little waste and we eat quite frugally. Seems about average judging by this thread.

plus3 Fri 21-Jan-11 14:55:17

2 adults 2dc = £150 per week on average. Anything and everything brought from a supermarket.

Not sure how to bring it down without compromising on quality.

goingroundthebend4 Fri 21-Jan-11 14:56:11

£150 -£180 a week for me and 2 teens and 2 smaller dc .But that takes account as need to buy a lot of Gf products .That includes everything though

ReclaimingMyInnerPeachy Fri 21-Jan-11 14:57:48

GF not only costs a fortune but limits where you can shop doesn't it? It's 4 X DF for us.

We don't spend any more now than a year ago so have cut back to match price rises IYSWIM.

pinkteddy Fri 21-Jan-11 15:09:21

How do you guys spending around £50/60 a week do it? Serious question. Admittedly I usually buy a couple of bottles of wine and we have two cats so thats around £20 a week but this week I've spent £90 on line and another £25 in sains for add ons. I will probably top up again before the next main shop with milk and a few fresh bits. We cook almost everything from scratch and rarely buy ready made anything. I always check for special offers and am not particularly brand loyal. I do buy a lot of fresh produce though.

pink4ever Fri 21-Jan-11 15:15:39

£100 a week(for 2 adults and 3 dcs) that includes all toiletries/household goods and a couple bottles of wine. But it is definately getting more expensive(some weeks when we have had to buy bulk items-ie washing powder,toilet roll it has been as much as £120shock.
I also use about £20 a week topping up on bread/milk/fresh veg etc.We are struggling but cant see any way to bring it down much(dh is particular about certain brands-I am quite happy to buy own brand which usually will bring bill down by at least £10).

goingroundthebend4 Fri 21-Jan-11 15:34:00

reclaimingmy inner peachy

yes and the range is more limited as well as Gf free i ahve 3 out of 4 on high calourie diets including ds2 who is Gf .But theres a chance that they may well put soem of the Gf on prscription depeninding on next set of tests

MickeyMixer Fri 21-Jan-11 16:09:37

Perhaps I'm not sooo excessive after all - I just like to buy high quality meat, fish, veg etc.

taffetacat Fri 21-Jan-11 16:14:47

On average, £100 per week for 2 adults, 2 children and a cat. I shop only once a week, online, free. I menu plan so I can do this. Occasionally I bugger it up and it always ends up costing more.

Includes packed lunches for DC, and my lunch, plus about half the week for DH. We virtually never eat out.

lizziemun Fri 21-Jan-11 16:21:47

I don't think you can spend lee, unless you start buying cheap processed meals.

I have realy change what I buy over the last year but my shopping bill has gone up by about £30 pounds.

I spend between £70 - £110 per week in Asda depending if I need nappies (have 2 in nappies one only at night). I also do a Tesco shop every 3 or 4 mths stocking up the store cupboard. About £30 per month on milk from the milkman. And the every 3 mths I get cleaning products from Costco again about £60.

lizziemun Fri 21-Jan-11 16:22:25

Oh god. Who's lee, I mean LESS grin.

MickeyMixer Fri 21-Jan-11 16:22:59

I've never been to Costco - is it good?

magnolia74 Fri 21-Jan-11 16:28:46

We are 2 adults and 5 children but dd1 is 15 so its more like 3 adults.

Our shopping at Asda is normally £95-£120 depending on if I need Dog food/Washing tabs/bleach/tampons etc... Some of it I only buy every 2-3 weeks so is more like £100 most weeks.

We have fresh meat for 5 days but not a lot of frozen stuff. Tons of fruit/veg and that also includes all pack lunch stuff for 4 kids smile

justalittleblackraincloud Fri 21-Jan-11 16:32:38

We are 2 adults, and DD (18 months but eats for England)...and spend about £60 p/w.

higgle Fri 21-Jan-11 16:36:00

4 of us, me DH DS1 19 DS2 16, and our rescue Staffie who eats quite a lot. £80 in Tesco on Saturday, £20 in Sainsbury's on Tuesday that way I get the special offers at both.

I manage packed lunches for all of us out of this and to cope with having 1 gluten free meat eater 2 veggies and one pescatarian amongst us.

MrsTittleMouse Fri 21-Jan-11 16:55:00

I spend between 50 and 70 pounds a week at Sainsburys and then between 5 and 10 pounds in top ups. Usually it's closer to the lower amounts. That's for 2 adults and 2 children, one in nappies full-time, and one in pull-ups for bedtimes. It includes all our cleaning stuff, and most of our toiletries. We all eat lunch at home, or take packed lunches and rarely eat out or get take-aways.

How do we do it? I am a SAHM and so I cook from scratch a lot. We eat very little meat or fish and get value stuff if it is good quality, or buy stuff on offer. I always menu plan. I buy almost no branded stuff. We drink very little alcohol. Almost everything we eat is in season.

I won't pretend that it isn't boring or hard work sometimes. It's easy to slip into cooking the same thing over and over and I put quite a lot of effort into finding new frugal recipes.

I do spend money on fairtrade and organic when I can, and we do have the odd treat (like exotic fruit or the occasional bottle of wine.

I am hoping that this is just when the children are young and the mortgage is large and that we won't have to be this careful for ever. <crosses fingers>

muddyangels123 Fri 21-Jan-11 17:05:01

I spend on average £125 per week at the supermarket.
I pop into the local butcher at the weekend,costs around £20-£30.
Also, monthly i spend £35 at the farmer's market.
It seems expensive, but i buy alot of fresh food/free range etc..( my DC calls it "happy Food").
DD has a few "special diet" foods/treats which cost more.

muddyangels123 Fri 21-Jan-11 17:07:03

Forgot to put 2 adults & two DC.

newpup Fri 21-Jan-11 17:56:44

Family of four here. £120ish per week in supermarket plus £20ish at butchers and £6ish milk and bread top ups during the week.

Jojay Fri 21-Jan-11 18:02:05

About £80-£90 a week on average for 2 adults and 2 kids, 4 and 2. That includes all nappies, cleaning stuff etc, and online delivery fees

KangarooCaught Fri 21-Jan-11 18:08:59

About £150 a week, but will go down once youngest is off formula/nappies.

Am not the most observant re prices but even I've noticed that food is not just jumping by a few pence but by a a third/a half in some cases. We are having a few cheapy meals in the week & have a slow cooker so we can still have lamb/beef etc just the cheaper cuts.

KangarooCaught Fri 21-Jan-11 18:09:39

sorry, that's for a family of 5

skydance Fri 21-Jan-11 18:15:52

£100-£120 a week here 2 adults, 3 children

That includes all toiletries, daytime nappies for one and night nappies for two.

couldtryharder Fri 21-Jan-11 18:38:58

About £80-100 a week by online at Ocado with the odd little top up here and there. Fridge looks bare at the end of the week but I know there's another lunch and two dinners in there before the shopping man turns up again wink. I waste/throw away very little. But as Lostark says, Tesco manages to steal £30 off me everytime I go in, even if I just went in for a birthday card!!!!!

MickeyMixer Fri 21-Jan-11 19:29:02

Who wins the prize for best value and decent quality supermarket then? Marks out of 10 for:

Tesco
Asda
Lidl
Aldi
Sainsbury's
Waitrose
M&S
Somerfield
Co-op
Morrison's
Others???

Should I try somewhere new?

PlentyOfParsnips Fri 21-Jan-11 19:35:07

£60-70 for 2 adults, 2 big teens and 2 cats. Yes, prices are creeping up steadily.

magnolia74 Fri 21-Jan-11 19:57:39

I have shopped at tesco, asda, morrisons and sainsburys.

I lovesainsburys food but can't justify the extra cost.

Morrisons are ok but i feel i need to really look and still spend more

Tescos used to be my fave but was getting expensive

Asda is over £20 cheaper per week than tesco's for us getting pretty much the same. I find i don't need to buy their cheap stuff as the good food is not much more and they have so many offers each week its easy to keep the price down smile

2posh2post Fri 21-Jan-11 19:58:39

Just under £300 a week (Abel and Cole for fresh meat and veg, Waitrose for the rest). 2 adults, 2 teens and a dog. That includes cleaning products, shampoos, soap, toothpaste and sometimes some wine and beer.

In December we managed to spend a staggering£1500 on food and drink ....we had a couple of beef fillets which are £70 a throw, and clearly a turkey (ditto) but other than that it was all fairly ordinary stuff.

We eat organically which may account for the price, and I make packed lunches for the children. DH generally eats a restaurant lunch every day so doesn't really NEED to eat in the evening.

We don't waste much so I really don't know where it all goes...

Tomatoes are jolly expensive at the moment. Perhaps that is it. (£9 a kilo in my local deli at the moment and we get through loads).

Mind you, I try not to shop at our local butchers as it is £23 an organic chicken from there which is beyond belief (I only buy in desperation).

Probably about £200 a week. 2 adults and 2 small children (one of which lives on fresh air!)

My problem is that I buy my food fresh every day so I end up buying stuff I don't need every day too!

coldtits Fri 21-Jan-11 20:18:48

fuck me, 2Posh, where in God's name do you live???????

thesmartestgiantintown Fri 21-Jan-11 20:26:28

me & 2 boys = £30
i shop around to find the cheapest deals, every little bit makes a difference.
we eat well & always have fresh things although only eat meat once a week if that.
i look in my cupboards and meal plan and always do a couple of cheap meals, like homemade soup or bean & cheese on toast.

gibbberish Fri 21-Jan-11 20:36:29

2posh shock Thought we were bad!

6 of us (inc 2 teens), 3 guinea pigs and 9 fish(!).

My shopping averages around £160 to £170 a week. Although that doesn't include alcohol - that comes out of dh's pocket. Or cakes/biscuits or any other sweet stuff. Not for any other reason other than I don't have a sweet tooth and it never occurs to me to buy anything like that. So they also come out of dh's pocket.

And that is NOT buying organic products, buying in bulk and shopping around for the best deals.

So in total probably heading towards £200 a week shock That's horrendous now I have thought about it.

gibbberish Fri 21-Jan-11 20:36:58

On reflection, it's probably the fish eating us out of house and home hmm

Dropdeadfred Fri 21-Jan-11 20:44:09

Not read all thread (just got on here this evening) but for two adults, a teenager nd a child about £200 a week

Rindercella Fri 21-Jan-11 20:56:04

I reckon Posh lives down the road from Daylesford. I saw a ornamental wicker chicken there once. Thought it was quite nice - perhaps £70 or so (yeah, expensive thing to put in your garden, but it was Daylesford). Saw the price. It was £1500 shock

We spend about £60 as I've said and yeah we're a small family but I don't cut back, we have organic veg box and we eat good meat or fish every day. We never buy processed or frozen food. Not even sausages. We have organic milk etc.

But we never buy cleaning products (make my own) tampons or pads (use cloth pads) nappies (used cloth nappies) baby wipes (used cloth wipes! Are you seeing the theme grin) baby food (BLW) I don't buy toiletries/soap/shampoo/conditioner...

Basically I don't buy anything but food apart from dog food and toilet roll. Tend to pick up big packs of bog roll in the pound shop when I'm there and stock the cupboard so even that purchase is rare.

dickcheeseandthecrackers Fri 21-Jan-11 21:38:01

About £120 a week for 2 adults, 2 children and 1 dog. Includes cleaning, toiletries etc.

But we tend to have people over about 3 times a month for lunch or supper and that works out about £50 each time for that.

£70-£120 a week. Usually near the top end over the last few weeks. I used to spend £50 a week on food last summer. We have now got ourselves an allotment and when things start to grow then hopefully it will mean the bills will come down. I do meal plan and use the slow cooker a lot.

I also do the odd shop at Approved Foods if I have managed to keep the normal shop down.

abouteve Fri 21-Jan-11 21:51:49

Sounds about right for around £25 per person. At least we know we are singing from that same hymn sheet.

farming4 Fri 21-Jan-11 21:56:32

About £60 a week for 2 adults, 4 children (7,5,3 18mths), 3 cats and 3 dogs including cleaning stuff, washing powder, nappies etc. BUT we live on a farm so don't but meat, milk, eggs veggies etc so keeps the cost down. Don't know how we would afford it if we didn't produce so much of our own confused

farming4 Fri 21-Jan-11 21:57:35

sorry that should have read "buy" not "but" blush

fifi25 Fri 21-Jan-11 21:57:56

I have done all the online shops and have always found Tescos the cheapest but it depends how long you want to spend doing a shop online and what you want. I tend to look on the special offers 1st then work the meals around them. My mam has always done a sainsburys online and tried tesco this week. She couldnt believe how much extra she got. After your 1st tesco delivery you can start a shop then add to it all week which i think helps. I do my online on a Tue approx £100 2adults 3 kids n 2 dogs then get all the offers in Netto on a weekend to top up when all three kids in at weekend (Netto meats not good)!

MickeyMixer Fri 21-Jan-11 22:38:32

Just done the week's shop for £83-00.

Sorry meant to say that I shop for a family of 5 (2 adults and 3 children)

TorcherQueenie Sat 22-Jan-11 13:08:46

£30 a week, 2 Adults <one insomniac who seems to never stop eating, I'm looking at you DH!> 1 DD 7 who also never stops eating and a JRT.

We buy all our meat reduced and then freeze it working our meal plans around what was cheap.

This week so far our plan is
Trashy Saturdays - Hotdogs fries and Milkshakes.
Sunday - Curry Rice and Naan
Monday chicken stir fry
Tuesday - Jacket spuds.

Dropdeadfred Sat 22-Jan-11 20:38:08

Torcherqueenie - can I just ask..how do you cope about snacks? and if you have someone who never stops eating ..wha do they eat between meals?

pinkteddy Sat 22-Jan-11 22:04:53

Normality when you say you don't buy any toiletries including soap and shampoo - do you just not bother or do you make those as well? What about washing the dishes etc?

TorcherQueenie Sat 22-Jan-11 22:14:59

Dropdeadfred I love the name grin I bake a lot of food, Theres always ready prepared meals in the freezer, tins/dried and frozen fruit and basics yogurts. I bulk out all of my meals with a hell of a lot of veg and usually freeze at least half.

Dropdeadfred Sat 22-Jan-11 22:44:14

Thanks Torcherqueenie - that's interesting about your baking etc....i do think we spend too much on food but my dd aged 16 seems to do nothing but graze every moment she is in the house....and fruit is expensive..and the cos of good cheese seems to have risen alot recently...where do yu get your reduced meat from by the way?

freshmint Sat 22-Jan-11 22:46:07

6 of us and two big dogs
about £160 a week, more if we are entertaining. It used to be around £130, I've noticed costs have gone up when what we are buying hasn't. That is waitrose/ocado, organic milk and mainly organic meat.

CDMforever Sat 22-Jan-11 23:05:42

I usually budget £130 a week. There are 2 adults and 3 DCs.
Have to say it doesn't always cover everything.
I tend to do a big shop at Asda on the weekend then a top up shop at Iceland midweek.
Would love to shop at Waitrose but far too pricey, even with their essentials range.
Just read in Which? magazine today the Waitrose was voted best supermarket in their poll, followed by M and S and in third place was....Aldi!!
I must make more of an effort to go to Aldi, have read so many good things about it.

TorcherQueenie Sun 23-Jan-11 12:33:53

Tesco's usually by about 12:30 they have dropped it all to half price. Over new years we picked up 3 free range organic chickens for £2 each and several packs of finest sausages for 52p a pack among others.

We have a lot of cheap shops round here I managed to get 2 packs of white choc chips around 400g a pack fo r£1.

Moneysavingexperts Oldstyle forums has a lot of cheap baking recipes on. You could perhaps make cakes and corned beef pies for your DD to graze on?

Apart from that my best reccomendation is going to the supermarkets a few hours before closing and browsing the reduced section most of it can be frozen. Fresh veg can be used to make soup which you could freeze in 1pt milk containers.

Two adults, one toddler and one cat. I am to keep it under £100. I used to aim for £80 but that's not so easy any more. This week's bill was £93.

Fleecy Sun 23-Jan-11 17:50:42

2 adults, 2 DC, 2 cats, all meals, all toiletries and all cleaning stuff. We spend around £300 a month (£70pw) at the moment, was £400 but we're cutting back - it helps that DS is now nappy free in the day!

We have a couple of veggie days each week where we use leftovers from the fridge or stuff that's previously been leftover and has been frozen - so something like risotto with veg and h/m stock or frittata or soup.

We bulk buy stuff on offer, chop and freeze in portions. Have also started buying cheap tinned fruit.

I try not to set foot in the supermarket as i cannot resist picking up extras so have shop delivered every week. Meal plan starting with meat and seeing what's on offer then building plan around that. Also get through a lot of smoked salmon offcuts and pollock as super cheap.

Friend somehow manages to do it all for £250 but I don't know how!

MickeyMixer Mon 24-Jan-11 12:28:55

Thanks for all your answers - it is nice to know I'm not a totally extravagant and useless housekeeper!

wheredidyoulastseeit Mon 24-Jan-11 14:20:43

I spent £720 in December in supermarkets, ASDA, Tesco and Waitrose. That doesn't include petrol or clothes but does include Christmas and boxing day for 10 people. (although the guests brought things with them as well)

It also involved lots of cooking from scratch to save money, but my weakness is high welfare meat from Waitrose. and organic milk

Family of 2 adults 2 teenagers 2 cats

DanJARMouse Mon 24-Jan-11 14:26:54

2 adults, 3 kids and a puppy

Usual shop is £80 a week.

Last week was £53, tomorrows online is £160!

The £160 will stock us up big time and so the following 3 weeks shops should be in the £40-50 range.

Overall for a month, about £400

HalfCaff Mon 24-Jan-11 14:44:38

It varies a lot, but about £50 a week I guess, for 2 adults, 2 kids, 2 cats! DH buys wine separately (and drinks 90% of it).
I look forward to my bargain hauls in Lidl around once a month, and don't think of it as 'resorting' to anything! Fantastic value and great quality for most things, just pick and choose the good stuff, and don't expect to find all your usual brands, but do try the alternatives! Train your children not to be supermarket/premium brand snobs now, they will thank you later!

mrsruffallo Mon 24-Jan-11 14:47:21

2 adults, 2 children.
We spend about 100 pounds, more sometimes

WorkInProgress Mon 24-Jan-11 15:01:28

2adults 2 children. One fortnightly online shop about £100, tops up of £10-15, plus wine and school dinners. Probably averages about £70 per week.

MungBeans Mon 24-Jan-11 15:03:19

I spend about £130 per week.
That's for 2 adults, 4 children (2 teenagers) and a cat. That also does 5 packed lunches per day during the week. Takeaway at the weekend.

MungBeans Mon 24-Jan-11 15:03:55

Oh yes, that doesn't include wine blush

We spend £300 a month. We have an Ocado delivery every week and pay for the delivery pass. Anything left out of the £300 is then spent on meat for the following month (usually from the market)

NightLark Mon 24-Jan-11 15:28:32

2 adults, 2 children (one in nappies). About £100-£120 pw (usually split as an £85-£95 supermarket shop and a top up), including all toiletries, cleaning stuff, nappies etc. I could do it for less if I planned more and used cheaper shops - this is a mix of Ocado and Co-Op.

HalfCaff Mon 24-Jan-11 15:57:30

Makes a lot of difference how often you eat out and whether your dc have packed or school lunches. Mine generally have school, which adds another £20 a week to the food bill, and also eat at after school club 3 nights a week. And we probably eat out as a family or get a takeaway once a week on average. Maybe that's why I only seem to spend half of what others do!

jaffacake79 Mon 24-Jan-11 19:58:57

So, what exactly is wrong with Aldi and Lidl then? They do very good deli/continental meats and cheeses etc, as well as good fruit and veg.
I get a 3 monthly fish delivery, I do a monthly meat shop and a weekly shop for other things. Our spend includes dog food, cat food, cleaning items and toiletries. It averages out at around £350 per month.

MickeyMixer Mon 24-Jan-11 20:13:53

Jaffacake79 - where to begin???!!!
The depressing lighting..the depressing layout..the battered looking veg and fruit..the high salt and fat content of the pre-packed food..the low farming/welfare standards..the poor/non-existant customer service..the lack of toilets/cafe..the fact my nearest one is ten lies away and petrol is dear..the dirty flooring and shelves..
I could go on...

jaffacake79 Mon 24-Jan-11 20:19:12

Oh dear, well that does sound dire. Ours is the polar opposite! But it did have a refurb last year, and the staff there are lovely and very helpful. Go out of their way to help in fact.
Lack of toilets and a cafe, well I go shopping to buy food and sundries, I don't generally like toilets out anyway, and a cafe? Really? I make better food and drinks at home!
High salt and fat content of pre-packed food is quite often bad in most supermarkets, it's about what you buy, not where you buy it from.

MickeyMixer Mon 24-Jan-11 20:24:07

Toilets and cafe essential with DCs in tow!

HalfCaff Tue 25-Jan-11 11:52:47

I have never been to a supermarket cafe! That must add to the bill, did you remember to count it? Have had to make a dash from Lidl to the nearby leisure centre or use a tree in the car park a couple of times(small ds, not me!)
I also buy nearly all (high welfare only!)meat reduced and freeze it. Make big batches of veg/lentil soup which feeds me mostly all weekdays (lunch and dinner!) while dh gets in late and just has cheese and biscuits or something meaty if he is home earlier.
Our 2 cats live on dried food which costs much less than tinned, more like £13/month than £20/week!
Cloth nappies (days gone by)and mooncup naturally...

dinkystinky Tue 25-Jan-11 13:44:07

It averages out at £130 a week for 2 adults, 2 kids (one in nappies still). I maybe spend around £10 on top ups during the week. Food prices have definitely gone up - my shopping has remained pretty constant over the past year but my bill has risen by at least £25!

CameronCook Tue 25-Jan-11 14:01:24

£150 per week with ocado - 2 adults, 2 children, 2 cats. GF and DF diets or would be cheaper.

However IMO food has gone up lots in the last year, as we're not buying anything different / anything more yet it used to be nearer £120 last year

Have a budget of £70 for each week 1 adult, 3 children, 1 cat. That includes top-ups during the week and my tobacco

MIne has dropped rapidly since ex moved out.

For me and DS1 (6 but eats like a teenager) and DS2 (4 but eats feck all) I spend now about £70 a week. It used to be about £150.

However, I stock up when things are on sale.

Tesco are having thier big cleaning sale so for £9 I got 84 Finish Dishwasher tablets which will last a few months and a Giant Persil washing liquid and a Lenor giant softner which again will last a few months.

oh yes - my shopping bill dropped dramatically too after I split up with exH grin

Although DS1 and 2 eat almost as much as their dad now so it's kind of cancelled it out a bit now hmm

BornToFolk Mon 31-Jan-11 11:16:13

About £300 a month (two fortnightly shops of about £120 and weekly top ups of fruit/veg)

That's for 2 adults and one 3 year old, all veggie. DS still wears nappies at night. We have one bottle of wine a week.

It should be less. The top ups are our problem, especially for DP as he'll decide he wants fajitas, for example, for dinner and go and buy all the ingredients, when we've got ingredients to make something else (and a freezer full of leftovers) at home. Drives me mad!

Bucharest Mon 31-Jan-11 11:20:57

About £150, not including cleaning products.

Me, dp and dd.

In Italy. Where everything costs an effing fortune, despite what Mr Oliver would have us believe.

GetOrfMoiLand Mon 31-Jan-11 11:27:14

About £100 - £120 a week. 2 adults and a teenager.

We eat out about twice ot three times a week (not included in above sum).

We don't make sandwiches for lunch.

I don't do a weekly shop - I just pick up stuff on the way home. I spend more this way but when I did a weekly shop there was so much waste. Plus I can't be arsed. Is a lot better to have a 10 minute visit to Sansibos with a basket a couple of times a week.

AbsDuCroissant Mon 31-Jan-11 14:26:12

Hm - I reckon it's about £80 per week, for two adults. We'll occassionally (like every 4 months) do a big shop, but most of the time it's picking stuff up on the way home. I make my lunches about half of the week (depending on level of busy-ness) and DP always buys lunch at work. We eat kosher, so things like meat/wine/cheese etc. is muchos more expensive (averagey bottle of wine around £10, steak is around £5 for 200gr) which adds to the total. We eat out about every two weeks or so.

It has gone down a bit, as I've started bringing in lunches (used to get everything from outside before) and DP has finally discovered the joy of using up stuff we have at home rather than prattling around the shops buying stuff at a whim.

cheesesarnie Mon 31-Jan-11 14:29:31

family of 5.2 catsgrin
between £70-£90 a week.i do what i can in lidl's then the rest in tescos.
were veggie and lidles doesnt really do vegetarian bits.cat food and cheese comes from tescos as its cheeper.

cheesesarnie Mon 31-Jan-11 14:31:54

forgot to say.im stict.i make a list of meals for a week,make a list and stick to it.i dont look at offers etc.i do it weekly and know exactly whats in the cupboards.i am analgrinwe'd be buggered if we were snowed in etc,we'd run out of food on shopping day!

2posh2post Tue 01-Feb-11 10:51:00

I have been trying to work out why I spend SO much more than anyone else (£300-£350 a week on 2 adults, 2 teens and a dog) and have some answers.

I worked out that I spend £1000 a year on that Benecol drink that lowers cholesterol (yummy), about £1000 a year on Nespresso coffee capsules (DH loves them), hundreds of pounds on cherry tomatoes out of season (£14 per kg and we all eat them every day on toast for breakfast), and ££££ on wild salmon every week.

That, and only buying organic stuff and that only from Waitrose or specialist suppliers, probably accounts for the difference. Hmmm....I am not sure whether to cut back, as it is a lot of money, or whether to take the attitude that we can afford it, so why not? I ought to save the money and pay the difference to charity.

Sigh, I ought to save on the £50 a week to get the dog walked when I am at home, live next to a park and do actually have legs of my own. I don't because I would feel TOO GUILTY sacking the dog walker as she needs the money and loves doing it.

gettingeasier Tue 01-Feb-11 16:44:32

2posh enjoy it while you can you never know whats around the corner !

£14 kg on cherry tomatoes!
I bet they are cheaper down the market.

I don't even like cherry tomatoes

AlexJones36 Wed 02-Feb-11 10:39:40

We have two kids and used to spend about £140 a week, but after an expensive xmas my husband and I decided to cut back a bit. It started out easy but when you switch down to value range on everything you start to run out of ideas pretty soon...
I did manage to save about £25 last week by taking some advice from a friend and buying loads of frozen food (luckily we have a decent chest freezer) for the same weight of food it does work out a lot cheaper...
check it out: The New Ice Age

MickeyMixer Thu 03-Feb-11 13:15:26

Interesting link AlexJones36

Mummy2Bookie Thu 03-Feb-11 17:59:02

About £130-£150 I think

DublinDoll Tue 08-Feb-11 10:09:15

€120 which is about £100. 2 Adults and 2 Kids, trying to cut back but everything is so expesnive.

MilaMae Tue 08-Feb-11 13:11:55

We are a family of 5 and I've finally got it down to £100(sometimes less)that's for absolutely everything.

I'm afraid shopping in Asda has made the difference.We buy as much of their Savers range as poss,try to limit meat,buy 1 roast and stretch,2X veggie meals at least a week.

We go to Lidl and Aldi for treats now and again eg Aldi pizzas.

Seriously I tried everything,if you're serious about it it's Asda and thats it.I used to shop in all the supermarkets and bought the same shop, Tesco and Sainsburys may only be £10 or £20 more a week but that's what makes the difference.

whoatethelastbiscuit Wed 09-Feb-11 15:10:52

I haven't got a clue how much to be honestblush, use to meal plan and budget heavily when all dc's at home, allowing for hoards of friends dropping in for a snack etc. 2 dc's officially left home now 2 more at Uni and 2 still at home, so tonight I could have 2 dc's at the table or 6 plus the odd friend (or 3), makes it impossible to plan. Just wait for the phone to ring or the key in the door. Freezers and store always full, dh tells people about £100 a week, he doesn't do the shopping, I would think £130 more like it on average week (but I'm guessing). Late new year resolution, to work out how much goes on food this month. Doesn't help we live centrally so number of supermarkets within walking distance, so always popping in for pint of milk, and staggering home with another bag full.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now