cooked ham joint - how long will it keep?

(13 Posts)

We had planned to cook our own ham this year but were all ill and never got round to it so just bought a ready cooked ham joint thingy from Tesco. We chucked out the wrapper so don't know how long it keeps for after opening. The use by date was 2 Jan, but presumably that was after it was unpacked? We actually opened it on 27th Dec, so it's been open and used for 3 days now but we've still got a lot left and have got a couple of recipes we could use it in the next few days.

Thanks

JiltedJohnsJulie Thu 30-Dec-10 15:24:51

Could you freeze it Curly?

I'd rather eat it grin

But yes, I suppose I could freeze it - do you reckon it would freeze ok?

JiltedJohnsJulie Thu 30-Dec-10 18:51:23

Suppose if would freeze ok.

<hopes someone will turn up soon who actually knows though>

Well, there's loads of people on here who have cooked their own ham - how long are THEY planning on keeping their hams? Or will it get eaten before it goes off?!

JiltedJohnsJulie Thu 30-Dec-10 19:59:24

I did the Nigella Ham in Coke for the first time on Christmas Eve and it's all been scoffed already. Just bought another to do in the morning. Yum.

BCBG Thu 30-Dec-10 19:59:39

Definitely ok to use up! Cooked ham refrigerated will keep for a good two weeks in a cold fridge. I would happily use it to at least the use by date on its packet.

Uh-oh, the problem has been solved! DH is doing a Carluccio recipe which uses ham called Pasta For All Seasons. He said that he hadn't realised that of what was left of the ham, half of it was the bone and fat!! So we've got enough for our tea tonight and then it's well and truly gone. Was lovely, even though we didn't cook it ourselves.

envy at JiltedJohnsJulie's second ham!

JiltedJohnsJulie Thu 30-Dec-10 20:29:56

envy at DH cooking the pasta. Yum. grin

Oooooh, you should SMELL it, JJJ!!! Bloody fantastic! There's a lovely aroma of the liquor from some dried posh mushrooms coming from the kitchen.

Ooh and truffle oil!!!

(We're going well posh tonight grin)

JiltedJohnsJulie Thu 30-Dec-10 20:39:54

Is truffle oil a bit like CrispNDry?

grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now