Bacon past use-by date - how to tell if safe to eat?

(9 Posts)
loves2cycle Wed 01-Dec-10 16:08:01

I have a packet of bacon still wrapped up in it's packet with a sell by date of 29/11.

It smells fine, of nothing really so I'd like to use it tonight but I'm a bit worried it may make us all sick if it's off.

Anyone know how to tell?

stillbobbysgirl Wed 01-Dec-10 16:15:12

If it has white spots of mould on it its gone off! Its only 2 days - and its a cured meat - I would deffo use it.

loves2cycle Wed 01-Dec-10 16:17:39

Thanks - I'm about to add it to a chickpea, chorizo and spinach soup to give it a bit more uumph, so will go ahead!

ICouldHaveWrittenThis Wed 01-Dec-10 16:18:22

yeah, I'd use it. You'd be able to tell if it was off.

taffetazatyousantaclaus Wed 01-Dec-10 16:30:36

Bacon is smoked ergo I ignore any use by date.

JetLi Wed 01-Dec-10 19:16:30

Or alternatively stick it in th freezer for a month - ought to kill anything lurking wink Soup sounds yummy though.

tb Thu 02-Dec-10 20:02:32

sniff/cook/taste. If ok eat, if not, bin.

loves2cycle Thu 02-Dec-10 21:34:35

Thanks all - you all gave me the confidence to use it and as it had no bad smell and no White spots, it was fine and we are all still alive to tell the tale.

Really yummy soup - must put recipe here as it is adored by me and my 10 and 5 yr old boys - fry chorizo, add celery, onion, garlic, then tins of chickpeas and toms, simmer half hour then stir in bag of spinach at end. Delicious!

Also a good soup for sticking in leftovers so I put in the bacon and remainder of roast chicken from sunday.

loves2cycle Thu 02-Dec-10 21:35:56

Forgot chicken stock too!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now