Homemade Xmas pudding in microwave

(4 Posts)
HannahHack Fri 29-Oct-10 11:10:56

I have offered puddings for our big family Xmas dinner and I am concerned about hob space. Basically, can you put a homemade christmas pudding in the microwave, and if so, for how long?
I want to make one as there are nut allergies in the family, but if it is too much hasle on the day will just be buying one from M&S.

(I use plastic microwavable pudding basins anyway)

Lilymaid Fri 29-Oct-10 12:56:00

They are much better steamed. I put ours in the steamer after the vegetables have cooked, so no extra hob space required. But I only make a smallish pudding, not a 2lb one.
If you do microwave, be warned that you have to be very careful that the pudding doesn't overheat as it could catch fire. Instructions taken from a BBC recipe:
"...the pudding should be covered loosely and heated in the microwave for about 6 minutes on high power, checking its progress every so often by inserting a skewer into the centre and leaving for a couple of seconds. If the skewer comes out piping hot, the pudding is ready to eat after standing for 1 minute. For more accurate timings it is best to check the manufacturer instructions."

tb Fri 29-Oct-10 17:21:28

Only time I tried to cook a Christmas pudding in the microwave, it sort of shrank and dried up. It was a good job that I'd made 2, so had a spare to steam for 9 hours.

ChippyMinton Fri 29-Oct-10 17:45:15

If you have a slow cooker, you can steam it in that - it's easy because you don't have to keep topping up the water or checking it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now