Does anyone else HATE fresh coriander?

(56 Posts)
strandedatsea Tue 28-Sep-10 14:07:36

I don't mean just dislike, for example I don't particularly like celery but I will eat it if I have to. I mean detest, so that it spoils the taste of anything it is cooked with? To me it tastes like a sort of soapy metal.

My brothers hate it too and apparently Roger Moore is a coriander hater. There is even a website of haters i hate cilantro and I am interested to know why it has this effect on some people and not others.

Haven't tried my dd's on it yet but they are still quite young and don't like lots of things.

MentalFloss Fri 01-Oct-10 19:52:11

Coriander actually makes me throw up. People have tried to hide it in my food before but I can tell just from the smell whether the devil herb is in something.

Parsley and coriander both taste like washing up liquid or dishwasher tablets.

DinahRod Fri 01-Oct-10 19:51:36

Really dislike coriander and cumin, both taint a meal.

Strawberries also taste metallic as well.

mousymouse Fri 01-Oct-10 19:47:33

love oregano. and all the different kinds of mint. my parents have about 5 different varieties of mint in their garden. love to munch my way through there.

mousymouse Fri 01-Oct-10 19:45:46

sooo disgusting. especially when you expect the taste of parsley. yuck.

CaptainNancy Fri 01-Oct-10 19:43:48

I utterly, utterly hate coriander- it is so foul tasting.

Oregano is my absolute favourite herb.

Now I don't like dill. Uugh.

Mumcentreplus Tue 28-Sep-10 21:19:20

Cucumber is the UK Gold of salad veg...*repeats* grin

MoonFaceMama Tue 28-Sep-10 20:52:26

my dp hates cucumber too...i find it bizzare as it seems so lurvley and mild and refreshing to me...mmm, unlike EVIL DILL!

I've heard that genetic aversion thing in relation to cucumber/melon...i slightly thought he'd made it up as an excuse... blush

Miasma Tue 28-Sep-10 20:45:44

Oh yes dill is worse than coriander. I went to turkey in the summer and they put dill on everything. Vile.

Love cloves

OhBuggerandArse Tue 28-Sep-10 20:41:59

I love it, but I've heard that people who don't have a different gene that's responsible for making it taste disgusting to them. Any biomedics here who can confirm or deny?

CrispyTheCrisp Tue 28-Sep-10 20:38:33

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it, but a friend of mine hates it grin

I HATE cloves <bleugh>

taffetacat Tue 28-Sep-10 20:36:38

Noooooooooooooooooooooooo

I eat dill raw all summer every day. It is brilliant for the digestion.

Dill is the other herb that grows like a weed here. It is everywhere and I even grow it in the flowerbeds too as its so beautiful.

MoonFaceMama Tue 28-Sep-10 20:26:38

corriander gooooood grin

Dill EVIL angry

Mumcentreplus Tue 28-Sep-10 20:10:09

Parsley is worse imo..tastes sickly

taffetacat Tue 28-Sep-10 19:55:22

I knew a Verbena once. She hated her name, sadly.

said Tue 28-Sep-10 19:49:31

Interesting - I hate cucumber but love coriander as well.

Cilantro would make a nice girl's name wouldn't it?

taffetacat Tue 28-Sep-10 19:43:38

Bertie - as much as I love coriander, I am not so keen on it in soup. The best carrot soup in the world IMO is carrot and thyme.

LOL strandedatsea! The coridander is one of the reasons I love Thai food. Nought so queer as folk eh???

strandedatsea Tue 28-Sep-10 19:15:28

I got good at asking for food without it added the times I have been there. But I found out I was pregnant with dd1 while I was in Thailand and went off Thai food completely. Luckily it didn't last too long as it is one of my favourite world cuisines (without coriander).

Ineedmorechocolatenow Tue 28-Sep-10 19:12:46

I hate it too.... 'tis the work of the Devil..

I developed my love of coriander whilst living in Thailand. They Thais use coriander in everything!

strandedatsea Tue 28-Sep-10 19:08:43

what a waste of a good chicken curry grin I will be making a lovely red Thai chicken curry later without a sniff of coriander anywhere near it....

Just cooked a chicken curry. Cut some lovely fresh coriander from the pot on my terrace. LOVE the smell. grin

mosschops30 Tue 28-Sep-10 15:59:57

I hate it too, Jamie Oliver seems to use it in all his recipes and I just leave it out, cannot bear it

Ewe Tue 28-Sep-10 15:59:23

Me! I hate the stuff, everyone thinks I am a fussy madam but it's just vile.

YUCK.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now