Does anyone else HATE fresh coriander?

(56 Posts)
strandedatsea Tue 28-Sep-10 14:07:36

I don't mean just dislike, for example I don't particularly like celery but I will eat it if I have to. I mean detest, so that it spoils the taste of anything it is cooked with? To me it tastes like a sort of soapy metal.

My brothers hate it too and apparently Roger Moore is a coriander hater. There is even a website of haters i hate cilantro and I am interested to know why it has this effect on some people and not others.

Haven't tried my dd's on it yet but they are still quite young and don't like lots of things.

TheReturnoftheSmartArse Tue 28-Sep-10 14:08:44

Me. It is disgusting.

That chap from Something for the Weekend hates it too ... Tim Something-or-Other.

Oh yes me too, it's vile stuff

Miasma Tue 28-Sep-10 14:09:17

It is really unpleasant.

Loathe it!!! Stink bug leaves that just foul up a meal - yuck, yuck, yuck, yuck!!!

HRHPrincessReality Tue 28-Sep-10 14:11:33

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

CMOTdibbler Tue 28-Sep-10 14:11:46

I really don't like it either

strandedatsea Tue 28-Sep-10 14:12:24

Oh hurrah! I am so sick of people thinking I'm just being fussy when I ask them please not to sprinkle it all over everything. These days you just don't know where it is going to turn up.

1234ThumbWar Tue 28-Sep-10 14:12:37

My dh hates it and I love it, but can only eat it when we go out to eat so it makes it a real treat.

Poledra Tue 28-Sep-10 14:12:42

I loooooooove it, and you are all a bunch of sad wierdos! [sticks out coriander-covered tongue}

strandedatsea Tue 28-Sep-10 14:14:10

I have heard some of us have sort of chemical reaction to it, which makes it taste so bad. Perhaps all of us who hate it share dna?

TheReturnoftheSmartArse Tue 28-Sep-10 14:15:49

My family is so huge that I am indeed probably related to half the population, Stranded. So perhaps we do indeed share DNA.

DH and the DCs love it. Bleurgh!

aquavit Tue 28-Sep-10 14:16:03

Yes, I hate it, especially raw. But because it ws so ubiquitous a few years ago (things seem to have improved a bit) I tried to train myself not to loathe it so much that it ruined otherwise nice food for me.

So I still can't stand it it randomly applied to inappropriate stuff, or sneaked into salads (fgs WHY??), but I now rather like it stirred into curry at the end of the cooking. It makes more sense there.

Easywriter Tue 28-Sep-10 14:16:39

I LOATHE it.

I can't believe it's on so many things.

Also hate parsley with equal passion.

HeavenForfend Tue 28-Sep-10 14:18:38

I can't bear it.

Once bit into a M&S sandwich (houmous and carrot? don't think they do it any more) to find that it was full of coriander. Bleurgh. Had to spit it back into the pack.

KeithTalent Tue 28-Sep-10 14:20:30

My mum (Moroccan) always cooks it with fresh parsley- she says if you don't it gives the dish a funny soapy taste.

The grocers she gets it from always sell corriander and flat leaved parsley together- Ithink you lot are just cooking it wrong!

strandedatsea Tue 28-Sep-10 14:21:59

Tbh even the smell makes me gag. I used to live in Tooting and often walked past the south Asian markets full of all sorts of fresh food - including piles of the stuff. Yuck it used to make me feel ill. People just don't believe me.

Easywriter - I can't say I am a fan of parsley but it doesn't ruin the taste of everything else in the same way as coriander.

I agree coriander isn't used as much as it was a few years ago. I think that is when I realised how much I hated it, when it was everywhere

strandedatsea Tue 28-Sep-10 14:22:51

keithtalent - but to me flat leafed parsely tastes like coriander anyway!

nameymcnamechange Tue 28-Sep-10 14:26:34

I honestly think foods taste different to different people.

I love coriander, can't get enough of it.

Otoh, I feel the same way about cucumber as you do about coriander. When people hear about this they say "how can you hate cucumber?" - but to me it tastes like something rotting.

mssoul Tue 28-Sep-10 14:27:26

My DP said he HATED it when we met and I regularly add it to curries, rice dishes, chillis and salsa and don't tell him. He eats it, often proclaiming how tasty it is grin

mssoul Tue 28-Sep-10 14:28:09

BTW DP also hates cucumber and I can't get a slice of that past him!

OrmRenewed Tue 28-Sep-10 14:29:43

Yes. I always want to like it - it looks so fresh and green, but it tastes the opposite of how it looks.

taffetacat Tue 28-Sep-10 14:37:09

I adore it but can understand people not liking it as its so overwhelming.

You'd love it here - I grow tons of it, its self seeded and I keep the seeds for cooking and each year scatter more over the veg patch and beds as its pretty too.

lol @ I Hate Cilantro website

strandedatsea Tue 28-Sep-10 14:39:11

It seems to be one of those things you either love or hate.

Taffetacat - remind me not to come over to your place any time soon smile

sarah293 Tue 28-Sep-10 14:39:57

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now