Aspartame - List of everyday foods containing

(19 Posts)
Again Thu 12-Aug-10 12:23:35

Does anyone either have a list of everyday brands containing aspartame or know of some that they can put into a list here?

Ribena
Diet coke

gorionine Thu 12-Aug-10 12:28:47

Heritage (cost cutter brand) squashes do contain aspartame, even the ones that already contains sugar I seem to remember that Robinsons sugar free and sugar version do too.

nannyl Thu 12-Aug-10 18:19:55

almost all squashes (except FULL SUGAR 'high juice' squashes) and sainsburys own label as they dont use it in any of their drinks

even full fat coke, full fat schweppes lemonade etc has aspartance in now...

i now go to sainsburys a few times a year and bulk buy their drinks!

every major brand of chewing gum

gorionine Fri 13-Aug-10 10:28:58

"every major brand of chewing gum"

Even the full sugar ones! ?Dam I had not checked those!

Almost all the major brands of fizzy drink ( including the non-diet ones ) have aspartame in -- Coke, Fanta, etc.

The only major exception is Dr Pepper -- non-diet Dr Pepper contains no aspartame.

However, Sainsbury's own-brand drinks don't contain aspartame, not even the diet ones (they have Sucralose in IIRC). Which I just see that nannyl already said.

nannyl Fri 13-Aug-10 10:56:55

strawberry ribena is aspartame free smile

Interesting.
I checked Coca Cola in the supermarket today and over here (France) it doesn't have aspartame.

Oneandnomore Sat 14-Aug-10 23:07:00

Asda's own brand high juice squash doesn't contain aspartame, nor do their own brand "fruit shoot" type drinks.

bruffin Sat 14-Aug-10 23:21:37

I would say the opposite most major brand fizzy drinks actualy don't have asparteme in. It tends to be the cheap copies that do because it is 1/70th the price of real sugar. Fanta, Coke, Pepsi do not have asparteme in.

Robinsons and most supermarket high juices (but not M&S) that are not the low suger variety don't have asparteme in.

Unfotunately most lemonades including DR White have asaparteme, but found recently the Tesco Premium Lemonade from the mixer section doesn't have it.

bruffin Sat 14-Aug-10 23:26:26

Also Tesco range of canned drinks that come in packs of 6 ie cream soda, shandy, ginger beer etc doesn't have it either.

Linnet Sat 14-Aug-10 23:54:56

Coke,Sprite and 7up do NOT have aspartame in them as I have checked and much to my dd's disgust they are only allowed to drink those fizzy drinks and no others. Diet coke and diet pepsi do contain it.

Ribena doesn't specifically mention Aspartame it says something like only blackcurrants, I don't have a bottle handy so I can't be definite but I know it doesn't mention aspartame.

Dd1 checked all the chewing gums in the supermarket the other day when we were there and they were all low/no sugar and all contained aspartame.

Diet coke, diet pepsi, Fanta and Lilt contain it.

Message withdrawn

Linnet Sat 14-Aug-10 23:58:48

I got this off the Tesco website as it lists the ingredients,the bottle I looked at in the supermarket didn't mention all of this.

Ribena
After Dilution):,Water ,Sugar ,Blackcurrant Juice from Concentrate (5%) ,Citric Acid ,Vitamin C ,Preservatives (Potassium Sorbate, Sodium Bisulphite) ,Colour (Anthocyanins) ,Product before dilution contains 23% juice

bruffin Sun 15-Aug-10 00:02:30

Just looked and I haven't had fanta for years I didn't realise they had added it to that as well. I used to love lemon fanta on holiday.

Last time I was pregnant three years ago I checked every single type of soft drink sold in work's canteen and (apart from water and fruit juices) the only one not to contain aspartame was Dr Pepper. My work colleagues can probably tell you this too as they had to listen to me ranting about it and waving the labels at them enough... grin

Interestingly now Coke and Pepsi don't seem to have aspartame in them any more, but they definitely did three years ago (or the bottles sold in the canteen did, anyway). Fanta and Tango still do.

bruffin Sun 15-Aug-10 16:55:11

Coke and Pepsi have never had aspartame in, I couldn't drink them if they did, I really hate the taste of it. Coke zero has though, maybe you are mixing it up with the normal one.

DuelingFanjo Fri 20-Aug-10 12:57:05

I just noticed that the yoghurts I bought on offer from Sainsbury have aspartame in them it's the Muller lite ones with fruits and the ones with chocolate sprinkled on the top.

In yoghurt FFS!

Plumm Wed 08-Sep-10 18:10:58

Fanta definitely has aspartame in. Have been drinking it due to pg cravings and only thought to check the label this weekend, and it's there. (so no longer drinking it)

Kellywellywoo Wed 02-Feb-11 12:27:41

Robinsons cordial is one of the worst cordials including the normal and no added sugar! They contain the sweetners Aspartame and Saccharin. Normal ribena including strawberry ribena doenst contain sweetners. It's the ribena light that contains these!!

Take a look at the ingredients:

Robinsons:

http://groceries.asda.com/asda-estore/search/searc hcontainer.jsp;jsessionid=N9YMrFOiXffY8asUbxCZ3Q** .oses4000-atg03?trailSize=1&searchString=robinsons &domainName=Products&headerVersion=v1&_requestid=1 38019

Ribena:

http://groceries.asda.com/asda-estore/search/searc hcontainer.jsp;jsessionid=+UywvRIckN6lsNx5b4rwow** .oses4083-atg02?trailSize=1&searchString=ribena&do mainName=Products&headerVersion=v1&_requestid=1362 79

Ribena light:

http://groceries.asda.com/asda-estore/search/searc hcontainer.jsp;jsessionid=+UywvRIckN6lsNx5b4rwow** .oses4083-atg02?trailSize=1&searchString=ribena&do mainName=Products&headerVersion=v1&_requestid=1362 79

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now