Goodbye to Mumsnet

(119 Posts)
dittany Thu 15-Sep-11 13:11:27

(Yet another great thing about Mumsnet is that there is actually a section especially devoted for flouncing off).

I didn't want to go without saying goodbye properly.

I just wanted to say what an amazing place Mumnset is and how much I've enjoyed posting and reading here and being part of it. I think it's a wonderful space for women to talk to one another and to support each other and just generally be able to be ourselves. The posters here are great and I think it's probably the best mainstream site there is by far. I've always felt like I know about a special secret coming to Mumnset because there are people (sexist people) who are bit sneery and superior at the name, and have no idea of the intelligent, witty and interesting conversations that go on here. More fool them of course. smile

And of course the Feminism Section. It says so much for Mumsnet that they were happy to give us a feminist section, which has turned into a place where feminism and radical feminism are addressed seriously and where posters have become active in real life and where real feminism is happening every day. It says so much for Mumsnet posters that so many of them are feminists, or were interested in feminism and want to engage. If Mumsnet is the best mainstream site, the Feminist section is probably the best public feminist forum there is (it's why we're getting trolled!). Standing up for women and girls is such an important thing to do. So of course Mumsnetters would do it.

I realise this reads like a bit of a speech (uber-flounce) but being part of Mumsnet has meant a lot to me (I spent enough time here to prove that) and I wanted to say why.

So so long, goodbye - I'll miss a lot of the posters here, I'll miss the feminist section, but it feels like the time is right to move on.

PrincessFiorimonde Thu 15-Sep-11 21:53:59
Pigglesworth Fri 16-Sep-11 00:51:02

Dittany, you posted advice for me once when I was using a name change - your advice was surprising and thought-provoking, encouraging me to view my situation in a different/ confronting light - but ultimately I think you were right. Your support then was greatly valued.

You have played an important role in "raising people's consciousness", even though you sometimes provoke others' ire/ contempt in taking your hardline stance. I think you should do whatever is best for you. Thank you so much for your advice in the past and for offering what is often a very different, but valid, perspective - and all the best.

Portofino Fri 16-Sep-11 08:19:36

I too will miss you, Dittany. We haven't always seen eye to eye and have many run ins over the years. But when I finally engaged my brain and listened to what you were saying, well I have to say that it has completely changed my attitude. I have learnt a lot from you - thank you!

sunshineandbooks Fri 16-Sep-11 09:57:22

sad You will be very much missed dittany. Your posts here have often been challenging but never less than inspirational and I have learned a lot from you. I wish you well in the future.

Lio Fri 16-Sep-11 13:18:14

In case you're still checking in Dittany, thank you so much. I know I only post once in a blue moon, but I read A LOT and your posts have been formative in enabling me to speak up in RL when sexist crap is spoken in my hearing.

EllieG Fri 16-Sep-11 13:21:32

Oh. That's a bit sad, I really learned a lot from dittany's posts. Hope all OK and thanks to you.

madhairday Fri 16-Sep-11 15:04:09

I'm sad you're going, dittany. We've had a couple of fiery and stimulating discussions and I have a lot of admiration for you.

NormaStanleyFletcher Fri 16-Sep-11 15:12:04

Like others, I hope that this will be a break rather than a final goodbye. Your support in the relationships threads and thought provoking posts in the feminism threads will be sorely missed.

msrisotto Fri 16-Sep-11 17:19:35

Oh fuck it. sad

Come back after a namechange. I demands it.

Prolesworth Fri 16-Sep-11 18:42:51

Message withdrawn

SheCutOffTheirTails Fri 16-Sep-11 19:49:00

Goodbye dittany, I can't imagine that you would do this lightly, so I'm taking you at your word.

sad

I'm terribly, terribly sad to hear that you're going.

You are out and out my favourite poster on MN and have been for years. I almost always agree with you, and when I don't I often change my opinion based on your arguments.

Best of luck wherever you end up, they are lucky to have you.

MN will be very much the poorer for your loss sad

petisa Fri 16-Sep-11 21:09:51

Don't go we need you! Wish you all the best though.

noncuro Sat 17-Sep-11 00:29:04

I really enjoyed your posts dittany. They always challenged my way of thinking. I hope the troll situation gets sorted out, but more importantly, I wish you good luck away from MN.

neepsntatties Sat 17-Sep-11 17:20:37

Gutted to find out you have left. I only recently engaged with feminism and your posts have been a key part of that process. You also helped me with a personal issue in a way that was life changing and I can't thank you enough for that.

Only just seen this. I wish you weren't going Dittany.

I remember being on this board when I first joined and thinking you were extreme and that I couldn't agree with anything you said. Now I only see the sense in what you right and I couldn't agree more. You, along with many other regulars on the feminist section, have helped clarify for me what I want for myself, my daughter and women everywhere and that there's nothing extreme about wanting to be treated with equality and respect.

You'll be missed. I truly mean that.

ChippingIn Sat 17-Sep-11 17:32:16

Dittany - I hope you can now read these posts and can see how much you'll be missed by a wide variety of people!

It's a shame the trolling/MNers who just see a name and react have spoilt MN for you. As you can see a lot of people got a lot from your posts. It's a shame that you perhaphs didn't get the support you needed, when you needed it?!

I don't agree with much of what you say, but I defend your right to say it without being 'picked on'.

I hope you will come back - MN is losing far too many 'good posters'.

MarshaBrady Sat 17-Sep-11 17:33:40

Dittany I really hope a break is a good one. And that you feel you can come back. Your insight is valuable.

GothAnneGeddes Mon 19-Sep-11 02:11:31

Boooo! Just Boo! A real, real shame, but I wish you well.

baskingseals Sun 09-Oct-11 13:59:45

Dittany

you are probably the most inspirational person i have ever not met.

your words stick in my mind and have changed the way i think.

stay free

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now