Blue ram laid eggs! any tips apreciated

(6 Posts)
Kione Tue 20-Sep-16 11:02:54

I am reading that the parents might eat the eggs but they need them to hatch too. Once hatched can i move the babies to another tank?
I've also read that babies eat microorganisms from algae, if I move them to a new tank there won't be any algae. Any ideas?
Thanks!

jwww Tue 20-Sep-16 20:35:55

You'll want to move them into a hatchery or another tank, you can buy special food for baby fish called liquifry (there's probably other names for it) if you leave them in with your other fish they'll get eaten smile

Kione Wed 21-Sep-16 12:10:39

So I wait until they hatch? eggs seem to be getting darker and am reading this is a god sign!
I do have another tank but I can't manage it well due to my bad pelvis in pregnancy and my DP might go bonkers if I ask him. But I will have too.
My only diubt with this is, I've read they have to feed from microorganisms in the algae, etc, the new tank won't have those?

Kione Wed 21-Sep-16 12:11:16

And thanks!

jwww Wed 21-Sep-16 14:26:45

I really don't know when you should move them I've only dealt with fry from live bearers. I'd personally get a hatchery otherwise start cycling your other tank asap, Sorry I'm not too much help on as when to move them!

Kione Fri 23-Sep-16 07:45:03

Thanks! Well that didn't go well as I am pregnant I asked my partner to put up the second tank up and he point blank refused.
He has a point the fishes were my idea from the start and he has to do all the cleaning now sad
So the eggs seemed hatched but no babies in sight I think they got eaten as they came out.
Oh well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now