Can't believe the condition some people keep their fish in!

(7 Posts)
CharleyDavidson Tue 14-Jun-16 23:14:16

I visited a friend once, who had a fancy goldfish swimming around. In one of those large brandy glass shaped vases. No filter. Nothing. They just tipped out most of the water daily and topped it up with fresh - from the tap.

I had a good chat with her about it when she asked me about my tank set up and realised that it needed sorting out pronto. So they bought a tank and she proudly sent me a photo of it.

It was one of those picture frame tanks. Approx 3ft wide but only a few inches deep!

In her eyes, a much bigger setup than the fish had been in, and it matched the decor.

And then they went and got 2 more fish to keep the original one company. She wasn't terribly happy when I had to point out that it still wasn't anywhere near as much space/water as the fish needed.

I hang my head with shame remembering how I had a fair fish or two in a small unfiltered tank as a kid, to be fair, but that was pre-internet in your homes (yes, I'm that old!) and it being really easy to find the info you need to keep the fish properly.

TreeSparrow Thu 16-Jun-16 12:45:56

I agree, and the ignorance that's reinforced by pet shops is astounding. If anyone kept a dog like that they'd be prosecuted.

MrsFring Tue 21-Jun-16 17:25:22

That's horrible OP, good for you for correcting her though. The fact that it's still referred to as the Ornamental Fish Trade is quite telling I think.

I'm currently horrified by the huge numbers of juvenile Regal Tangs ( Dorys) which are being stocked in the run up to Pixars latest film. There was an explosion of 'Nemos' last time around which led to unnecessary deaths when the novelty wore off. Regal Tangs are an altogether different proposition though; they need a six-foot tank ( minimum) a very mature system and cannot be captive bred. So many little lives will be lost unless people are prepared to invest £££££'s and do their homework. Bet they won't though.

CharleyDavidson Tue 21-Jun-16 19:27:20

No, I bet they won't. It's a crying shame.

Togaparties Sun 10-Jul-16 16:33:18

I think you're right Mrs though I hadn't considered it. I'd love a regal tang but my tank is just too small. Hopefully the higher cost of them might put people off though, clowns are fairly cheap.

MrsFring Sun 17-Jul-16 15:32:18

You can get them for c.£30 at my local shop, they should charge ten times that imho. My Dwarf Lion cost £18! I got her as a baby and she's now full grown and very settled and tame. Assuming I have no tank disasters I could have her for another 15 years, it's such a massive responsibiltiy taking on a wild-caught fish, not something to do on a whim or to pacify a nagging child.

BabyGanoush Sun 17-Jul-16 15:40:56

I was worried this thread was going to be about me blush

Our house came with a pond full of (gold?) fish.

5 years on, the filter has broken 4 years ago, the pond is pretty much neglected, though I clear out the leaves/surplus roots of waterplants etc. Once a year.

Never Fed them either

There is still loads of them, so assume this neglect suits them? Also have frogs and newts. Masses of dragon flies too, I quite like my pond now.

Would not dream of keeping fish in the house though.

...but lots of people, like me, probably haven't a clue how to look after fish.

I top up the pond with tap water if it runs low, they seem fine with that too...?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now