Please come and explain using small words...

(9 Posts)
LadyNymeriaGhost Sat 04-Jun-16 13:24:49

Hi.
Am new to this. We got a 63l tank last weekend, and stocked with 6 male guppies on Wednesday.
I've just tested the water, and there's no ammonia or nitrite, but the nitrates are a little on the high side. Like, in the orange section of the chart, not the WATER CHANGE red bit.
So, do I wait and see, and allow the system to set itself up, or should I be doing a partial water change, to head off the problem?
Sorry if I'm asking a daft question. blush

LadyNymeriaGhost Sun 05-Jun-16 17:24:26

Bumping. Anyone, please?

fisharefriendsnotfood32 Sun 05-Jun-16 19:39:35

I'm not a expert by any means as I'm just cycling my new tank. But it's the ammonia you need to keep a eye on as that's what can poison your fish. I believe the safe levels of nitrates are below 40PPM so if it's below that shouldn't be a issue.

I have attached screen shots off of the info I have been going off of, it is for goldfish but I'm sure it's the same for all fish.

fisharefriendsnotfood32 Sun 05-Jun-16 19:40:15

Info

LadyNymeriaGhost Sun 05-Jun-16 20:13:08

Oooh. That's really helpful, thanks. I'll just keep an eye on it, then. The fishes seem happy, anyway. grin

peppatax Sun 05-Jun-16 20:17:36

It doesn't hurt to get in the habit of a small partial water change regularly for oxygen levels. It's supposedly (can't see how they tested it!) like opening a window in a smoky room!

LadyNymeriaGhost Mon 06-Jun-16 06:46:49

Ok, thanks. I'll do a small one tonight.

TreeSparrow Wed 08-Jun-16 09:41:10

If you have no ammonia or nitrites but there are nitrates, this suggests that you're tank is cycled. That's impossible in only a week, unless you started with a seeded filter already?

Either way, in such a small tank it's good to get into the habit of doing lots of small water changes to keep the water quality stable. I used to have a similar sized tank and I'd change 4 litres daily. It's much better for the fish.

Do be sure to dechlorinate the water you put back in.

TreeSparrow Wed 08-Jun-16 09:41:42

Have you tested your tap water for nitrates?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now