Pond fish-can I get more - will big ones eat small ones?

(5 Posts)
Squeegle Mon 26-May-14 09:34:08

I moved into a house last year with a pond and 4 big orfe (10 yrs old or so), and 3 goldfish. One of the goldfish died. I'd quite like to get another fish, but how big would I have to buy it to ensure the others don't eat it?

I'd quite like one of those black,orange and blue comets. All advice welcome

EauRouge Mon 26-May-14 09:37:58

How big is the pond? The orfe and goldfish will probably add to the numbers for you if they haven't already. Baby fish are brown/black so they're hard to see.

Squeegle Mon 26-May-14 13:13:17

It's about 4m x 2m, prob around 1m deep at deepest point(maybe not that much)

There were a lot of tadpoles earlier, but just a couple now. I thought the fish had eaten them. There are some small white balls on some of the pondweed, do you think they could be fish eggs?

EauRouge Mon 26-May-14 13:36:13

Yes, they would have eaten the tadpoles. If you want to keep the rest then you need to give them a shallow area that the fish can't get to.

White balls sound like fish eggs, for sure. Have a look here if you want to check. They take about 4-8 days to hatch out. The adults will try and eat the babies so they'll need cover. Lots of fine-leaved plants like elodea, or floating plants with dangly roots like water lettuce or salvinia will give them hiding places.

Squeegle Mon 26-May-14 18:37:56

That's good, I will keep an eye out. There is lots of cover, I'll wait and see Thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now