feeding two goldfish when on holiday

(10 Posts)
tacal Tue 15-Apr-14 16:19:24

Hello, what is the best way to feed my two goldfish when I go away on holiday? I have a juwel tank, should I buy the automatic feeder or are the blocks sold in pet shops any good?

I would be grateful for some advice.

I am not going away until the summer, just planning ahead.

Thank you

ilovepowerhoop Tue 15-Apr-14 16:21:37

is there anyone that can take them for you?

You can hire a pet sitter who will visit for about £15 a day smile

EauRouge Tue 15-Apr-14 17:11:11

Go with the auto feeder, those feeding blocks make a right old mess of your water. The Eheim one is good. I tried another one, can't remember the brand but it was circular. Anyway, it was crap. Is there a Juwel auto feeder that fits in the lid?

MamaPizza Tue 15-Apr-14 18:02:47

How long are you away for? A week or two? When we go away for a week we don't bother at all, fish are fine and can do a week without.

tacal Tue 15-Apr-14 18:24:01

hi, thank you for all the replies. I am not sure if I can get someone else to look after them. I had not thought about a pet sitter, just assumed they would be ok without anyone.

Yes there is a juwel automatic feeder that fits the lid. Maybe I should try that.

I am going away for a week and also for a weekend in the summer. I don't like the thought of them having no food for a week. Would it really be OK or better to buy the automatic feeder?

EauRouge Tue 15-Apr-14 18:33:29

If they're healthy and fully grown (or close enough) then they'll be OK for a week without food. Most goldfish are a bit porky anyway grin Fish that are a bit fragile or young fish that are still growing quickly need feeding more frequently. Small fish also need more frequent meals too. But a big, chunky goldfish will be OK for a week, if it's not a regular thing.

MamaPizza Tue 15-Apr-14 22:40:05

As Eau says, plus you'll have a lovely clean tank afterwards as they'll scrape all the algae off.

Honestly, I've done it many times and all my fish have been fine, never had a loss during a one week holiday.

When going longer we have a neighbour pop in and there is set amount in little plastic tubs over each tank so she can't accidentally overfeed them.

AHardDaysWrite Wed 16-Apr-14 19:56:28

I always leave fish without food for a week's holiday and they're fine.

tacal Sun 20-Apr-14 10:50:24

thank you for all the advice. I think that is what I will do. It seems like the better option because I was worried about them being over fed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now