Advice on a fish less cycle

(17 Posts)
Fottee Thu 06-Mar-14 10:56:40

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

EauRouge Thu 06-Mar-14 11:26:59

How high did the ammonia levels go? I've used fish food to cycle a tank before and it's tricky because you don't have so much control over the ammonia level- it is doable though.

What levels spiked after a water change? This is odd. Have you been keeping a record of the ammonia and nitrIte levels? How much fish food have you been putting in?

Fottee Thu 06-Mar-14 12:25:28

EauRouge Thu 06-Mar-14 12:32:55

I'd hold off doing any water changes and filter cleans until the cycle is done. If you want to keep the tank getting messed up from all the fish food then stick a handful in an old pair of tights and then just dangle it in the tank (and leave it there!).

I wouldn't put any fish in just yet, it sounds like the cycle isn't finished. You need to get the ammonia up to about 4ppm for there to be enough bacteria to support fish. If you use household ammonia then it's much easier to control. You can get it in DIY shops or from Amazon. If the tank's been running and you've been adding a bit of ammonia then I'm sure something is happening, it might just be very small and slow.

Has your DS got any plans about what to put in there?

Fottee Thu 06-Mar-14 13:14:33

EauRouge Thu 06-Mar-14 13:29:00

What sort of filter is it? It shouldn't be dirty enough to run slowly if you've only put in a few food flakes. On a lot of filters there's a slider thing to adjust the flow.

Fottee Thu 06-Mar-14 14:19:35

EauRouge Thu 06-Mar-14 14:30:56

I find the waiting part hard and I'm 32 grin

Fottee Thu 06-Mar-14 17:27:20

Fottee Sat 08-Mar-14 09:56:25

EauRouge Sat 08-Mar-14 13:37:46

How often have you been testing? Have you kept a record of all the readings so far? It's hard to tell what's going on from just one set of readings.

Fottee Sat 08-Mar-14 20:18:58

Fottee Mon 10-Mar-14 22:00:16

EauRouge Tue 11-Mar-14 08:00:48

The ammonia needs to go up to about to about 4ppm, so you could bung a bit more fish food in. Sounds like things are working though! NitrItes take a little longer than ammonia to drop down. Once they've gone back to zero, you may need to do a water change to get the nitrAte level down before you add fish.

Fottee Sat 22-Mar-14 11:03:45

Fottee Sat 22-Mar-14 11:15:28

EauRouge Sat 22-Mar-14 11:31:14

The readings are all at zero- including nitrAte? Did you do a water test and change before you added them?

Glad they're settling in OK, did you go for a mixture or all the same colour? Keep an eye on the readings for the next week or so just while everything settles.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now