Advice on a fish less cycle

(17 Posts)
Fottee Thu 06-Mar-14 10:56:40

I've got a little 10g aquarium and we've set it up for about 5 weeks just now

I've been putting in fish food every other day

We've been checking ammonia and nitrite levels
The ammonia levels never really went that high but they are now at the lowest level.
The nitrite levels have been zero except for last Thursday when they were 0.3 and today when it is 0.5
These levels spiked after I did a 15% water change

I e checked tap water and there's no nitrites in it.

What's happening?
And do you think I can add fish yet??
Thanks!

EauRouge Thu 06-Mar-14 11:26:59

How high did the ammonia levels go? I've used fish food to cycle a tank before and it's tricky because you don't have so much control over the ammonia level- it is doable though.

What levels spiked after a water change? This is odd. Have you been keeping a record of the ammonia and nitrIte levels? How much fish food have you been putting in?

Fottee Thu 06-Mar-14 12:25:28

the ammonia didn't go very high- i'll look at the details later, but up about three bars on the chart (i'm using liquid testerss)

The nitrite has only gone up twice and each time after a water change- which is really odd.
The tap safe stuff has stuff to neutralise the tap water and some bacteria apprently.

I've been putting a few flakes in eveyr other day.
I've celaned the filter each week with the water fron the tank and then i've just added a bit more new water.
I've got a bit of an inlking that nothing is going on in there tbh.

My dh and my 8yr old are so keen to put fih in this weekend. I'm worried about buying fisha dn then watching them die! Its not a nice thing to happen to the fish- and the tank was bought to let my 8yr old have a little hobby and get involved iin stuff a bit more and feel that h'es got a pet etc etc...

EauRouge Thu 06-Mar-14 12:32:55

I'd hold off doing any water changes and filter cleans until the cycle is done. If you want to keep the tank getting messed up from all the fish food then stick a handful in an old pair of tights and then just dangle it in the tank (and leave it there!).

I wouldn't put any fish in just yet, it sounds like the cycle isn't finished. You need to get the ammonia up to about 4ppm for there to be enough bacteria to support fish. If you use household ammonia then it's much easier to control. You can get it in DIY shops or from Amazon. If the tank's been running and you've been adding a bit of ammonia then I'm sure something is happening, it might just be very small and slow.

Has your DS got any plans about what to put in there?

Fottee Thu 06-Mar-14 13:14:33

He wants some guppies and maybe neon tetras
I think that will be enough tbh

Maybe I'll get some ammonia.
He's trying hard to be excited about an empty tank

I cleaned the filter as it was running slowly
We have a few plants in there too .

EauRouge Thu 06-Mar-14 13:29:00

What sort of filter is it? It shouldn't be dirty enough to run slowly if you've only put in a few food flakes. On a lot of filters there's a slider thing to adjust the flow.

Fottee Thu 06-Mar-14 14:19:35

Awww he's so excited

Back to waiting

EauRouge Thu 06-Mar-14 14:30:56

I find the waiting part hard and I'm 32 grin

Fottee Thu 06-Mar-14 17:27:20

There's leaves a some grot from the plants I think

Fottee Sat 08-Mar-14 09:56:25

The nitrites are staying up to 0.8 and the ammonia is now down to theo lowest level.
Not sure what's happening now.....

EauRouge Sat 08-Mar-14 13:37:46

How often have you been testing? Have you kept a record of all the readings so far? It's hard to tell what's going on from just one set of readings.

Fottee Sat 08-Mar-14 20:18:58

Every couple of days- I've bit written them down but I'll try to remember what happened... I'll get back to you!

Fottee Mon 10-Mar-14 22:00:16

The nitrites have gone up again and the ammonia is negative

I think it's going the right way tbh- I'm just wAiting for the nitrites to go down and then get some fish...

I think it's working ! -))
The ammonia didn't go that high- about 2.5 I thjnk

But the sustained raised nitrites makes me think it's going in the drug f
Direction

Ds2 is ok with waiting- he can see the nitrites are too high for the fish just now

EauRouge Tue 11-Mar-14 08:00:48

The ammonia needs to go up to about to about 4ppm, so you could bung a bit more fish food in. Sounds like things are working though! NitrItes take a little longer than ammonia to drop down. Once they've gone back to zero, you may need to do a water change to get the nitrAte level down before you add fish.

Fottee Sat 22-Mar-14 11:03:45

Well- we put three male guppies in last Sunday
And the readings have all been at zero since we put them in.
They look fine- very active and greedy!

What I love about them is they go to bed when the light is turned off. They gradually go down to the bottom of the tank and hang out down there.

Ds2 is very happy and glad we waited

Fottee Sat 22-Mar-14 11:15:28

Well- we put three male guppies in last Sunday
And the readings have all been at zero since we put them in.
They look fine- very active and greedy!

What I love about them is they go to bed when the light is turned off. They gradually go down to the bottom of the tank and hang out down there.

Ds2 is very happy and glad we waited

EauRouge Sat 22-Mar-14 11:31:14

The readings are all at zero- including nitrAte? Did you do a water test and change before you added them?

Glad they're settling in OK, did you go for a mixture or all the same colour? Keep an eye on the readings for the next week or so just while everything settles.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now