old age or something dodgy?

(7 Posts)
NoWittyName Tue 23-Jul-13 18:52:28

Just that really. How do you know whether a fish has died from old age or something dodgy?

Grumpla Tue 23-Jul-13 19:55:03

What kind of fish? How old was it?

NoWittyName Tue 23-Jul-13 20:20:22

Penguin tetra. Don't really know its age as it was pretty mature when I got it. Others seem happy enough!

Grumpla Wed 24-Jul-13 13:01:46

2-5 years then apparently.

Is everything else ok? I usually do a water test after any fish death just to make sure there isn't a problem with the levels. Even if the unfortunate was only dead in there for a short while they start to decay and foul up the water pretty quick.

I don't think you can reach a definitive conclusion as to whether it was old age or not (unless you have a yen for carrying out teeny weeny autopsies) but you can certainly rule out a lot of other factors eg illness, water quality, predation, overfeeding etc.

NoWittyName Wed 24-Jul-13 17:19:38

Thanks - will keep a close eye on everything.

x

EauRouge Wed 24-Jul-13 19:25:15

2-5 years? No, I would expect a bit more from a tetra. I'd say 5 years+. It depends how old it was when you got it, and also how well it was cared for. If it was kept in awful conditions before then that may have shortened its lifespan, even though they're being well looked after now.

NoWittyName Thu 25-Jul-13 10:54:45

I guess that's the thing. You can't cut through them and count the rings!! I assume that if all else is fine then I don't need to worry that there's some dodgy bacteria/virus/fungus hanging around that's going to kill off the rest of my little wrigglers.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now