Marine Tank Fish

(5 Posts)
GoalieMum Sat 20-Jul-13 10:04:33

We have a marine tank set up which we have had for quite a few years. It has taken us a long time to get it established, and we have two clown fish, a picasso triggerfish, a shrimp, a long horned cow fish and a Dory, as well as live rock.
However, money is very tight at the minute and we need to look at ways of saving money each month. It would save us a fortune if we didn't have the tank, as the cost of keeping it is very expensive. Just wondered if anyone had any idea on how to find our fish new homes? Would be great if we could get some money for them but also want them to go to good homes, maybe I will need to home check!

MamaPizza Sat 20-Jul-13 10:24:46

Are there any local marine FB groups for your area? I have a few and there are keen marine keepers on them. I'm sure you could sell them on those and be sure they are looked after. Same goes for the tank, usually it is better to break it down, as someone might need a light unit, someone else a skimmer etc..

Other option would be local marine shop, but I don't think you can ask for money. Maybe store credit, but if you give up the hobby you won't need it anyway.

If you are in Staffordshire I might even take some of it off you ;)

EauRouge Sat 20-Jul-13 10:24:57

Marine tanks are bloody expensive, aren't they! There are a lot of fish rehoming groups on Facebook, make sure you vet everyone thoroughly though.

You could also try your local fish shop but you'd have less control about where the fish went.

Or, you could try flogging the whole thing to a GP surgery, school or old people's home, perhaps with with the offer of maintaining it, then it would be almost like keeping it.

AKAK81 Fri 26-Jul-13 15:01:11

Where abouts are you in the country?

GoalieMum Sat 27-Jul-13 08:22:44

Thanks for the replies, am going to try to find some FB groups and see if we get any interest. Don't really want to get rid of them but it is so expensive it is a luxury we cannot afford.
Am in bucks so bit of a way from staffs!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now