Betta in a vase

(12 Posts)

just went into the little high street pet shop, they have a beautiful blue betta in what looks like a biggish flower vase.. No heater or filter obviously sad

I so want to buy him to get him out of there but..

They will just get another one to sell.. In the same tiny space.. I would be making them believe this ok.

The only spare tank I have access to is a 28l so too small for him.

angry

NatashaBee Sat 08-Jun-13 13:11:52

I know how tempting it is, but don't buy it. They'll only get another hmm

Yes, I know sad

I just wish I hadn't seen him

EauRouge Sat 08-Jun-13 19:21:36

Argh, I thought those death vases had been banned angry Can you email the shop and outline why they are such a bad idea?

Yes, I sent a polite email to the shop owner explaining the myth about these poor fish with a link to a betta care sheet.

I hope he listens and stops stocking them!

Still having the urge to run and buy him though

EauRouge Mon 10-Jun-13 08:28:20

Don't buy him, that'll just encourage the shop. Steal him instead grin

If the manager gives you any shit, you could email him this and also remind him that fish are covered under the 2006 Animal Welfare Act (they weren't covered previously and some people think they still aren't) and he has a legal duty to provide-

* somewhere suitable to live (ie not a fricking vase)

* a proper diet, including fresh water

* the ability to express normal behaviour (debatable whether a fish can do this in an unfurnished vase with no hiding places)

* for any need to be housed with, or apart from, other animals

* protection from, and treatment of, illness and injury. (fish will be exposed to ammonia in an unfiltered tank. Also, lower temperatures in an unheated tank mean that bettas- especially the long-finned ones- are more susceptible to fin rot.)

He might give it the old 'bettas live in puddles in the wild', which is total bollocks. They can survive in puddles in the dry season, they have an organ which allows them to breath air from the surface, but they live and breed in streams, ditches and rice paddies. Ask him if he's seen a rice paddy. They're massive.

If all else fails, complain loudly in the shop in front of other customers. I've done this before and been thrown out, but it made me feel better.

Sorry for swearing and sarcasm, been kept awake all night by demon toddler.

So, Got my reply - shop owner says he was ordered by a customer who then changed their mind.

Shop has no spare tank running ( this is true, they only have a tiny fish bit and there is not a suitable space) Owner says he is going to set up proper environment and that the vase is only temporary.

So, I will be observing the situation this week! Will update..

Dd has been reading this over my shoulder (she is a keen fish rights activist) and she agrees with the stealing him idea smile but hopefully it doesn't come to that.

Hopefully demon toddler has a good night tonight Eau.

miemohrs Fri 28-Jun-13 20:29:39

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

So, here is my update.

Fish activist DD and I have been monitoring the pet shop, they are cycling their new tanks and the pretty little betta is due to move into an upgraded space soon.

So hopefully this has a happy ending. smile

There is a slight problem for me in that DD has beeb doing some reading.. is now hinting fairly heavily that she would like her own tank in her bedroom.. guess what she wants in it?

EauRouge Thu 04-Jul-13 21:13:23

Ooh, you've turned her into a fish geek grin Well done!

Yep, total fish geek grin

She saw a couple of those 14litre kiddy deathtraps tanks the other day and loudly announced "but those are so tiny, definitely too small for fish Mummy" while she looked around with a deathly stare.

EauRouge Fri 05-Jul-13 17:25:36

She sounds ace grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now