Very basic coldwater goldfish question

(10 Posts)
Sparklingbrook Wed 20-Mar-13 18:56:30

We have had our two goldfish for years. Unfortunately one died today. Will the other one be ok on it's own or do I have to go and by it a new friend? It looks a bit lonely.

Jellykat Wed 20-Mar-13 19:30:19

I had 2 fan tailed goldfish, i think no.1 killed no.2, so i didn't get another.. we renamed him 'Pig', and hes been very happy by himself for 6 years. So my guess is you'll be ok.. (unless mine is just the devil incarnate)

TeamEdward Wed 20-Mar-13 19:31:40

I don't think goldfish give a long trailing shit if they share a tank with a buddy.

Sparklingbrook Wed 20-Mar-13 19:32:05

Thanks Jelly, I think I am trying to put human emotions onto the goldfish and think of him wondering where his friend is. I may buy him a new ornament for the tank.

Sparklingbrook Wed 20-Mar-13 19:32:37

grin Edward but how do we know for sure?

TeamEdward Wed 20-Mar-13 19:32:53

If a fish has died though, do check the water ph & nitrates.

Sparklingbrook Wed 20-Mar-13 19:34:12

Yes, will do. Fish must have been very old, I can't even remember when we got them.

SpringtimeForShatner Wed 20-Mar-13 19:36:09

We had two but one died in mysterious circumstances (Goldie couldn't provide a watertight alibi) shortly after we got them. Goldie has looked happy, and often shifty, living alone for the past 5 years.

Jellykat Wed 20-Mar-13 19:43:02

Maybe Goldie is Pigs brother Springtime..theres too many similarities there.. hmm very fishy!
< guffaw, i couldn't resist it >

EauRouge Wed 20-Mar-13 19:44:23

Sorry about your fish. They do like company but since they need so much space a lot of people keep one on its own. How big is your tank? This is a good guide of goldfish tank sizes and life expectancy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now