Truly URGENT help needed

(10 Posts)
NoWittyName Sun 17-Feb-13 15:14:39

Please help.

I have just done a water change in number one's tank. When I lifted up the bogwood to give a good hoover underneath I didn't realise that mr. bristlenose was still on it (he usually darts off with amazing speed!).
Anyway, this time he found a 'crack' in the bogwood and hid inside it with only his tail sticking out. The only problem is that I'm not sure whether he can get back out and I do NOT want him to die!!! It's about half an hour later and he's still in there.
Is he just in there trying to calm down or could he be stuck? I don't know whether with fish it's a case that if they could get in they can get out or not?!?!?
His tail is sticking out so I could give him a gentle pull, but if he can do it himself I don't want to stress him out by pulling his tail.

Feel awful and really really don't want him to die stuck!

Any advice gratefully received.
NWN x

sydlexic Sun 17-Feb-13 15:34:20

Sorry no idea. bump

amillionyears Sun 17-Feb-13 15:42:01

hmm
Dont know either.
We had a plastic ornament thing in our water, and a fish got stuck in there for 2 or 3 minutes. But he was very obviously trying to wriggle his way out, because he was stuck.

Is he wriggling at all?

Note I am not an expert on all of this, so slightly bumping too, as this may be a fish emergency.

potatopotato Sun 17-Feb-13 15:51:28

You could try touching his tail gently- surely if he's not stuck he will swim away from your touch?

amillionyears Sun 17-Feb-13 15:53:18

I think I am of the same mind as potatopotato.

OrangeforDd Sun 17-Feb-13 16:05:41

Our bristlenose fish will grip onto things eg the net if we have to move her. She stiffens the bristles if that makes sense and can hold on for a very long time! I would just leave the wood tipped sideways and wait. Our similar fish is mostly nocturnal and hides behind rocks during the day. Good luck.

EauRouge Sun 17-Feb-13 16:44:27

He's probably just hiding. They are nocturnal so you'll find out for sure tonight. Try putting a chunk of cucumber in there (weight it down by spearing it on a teaspoon) and then wait and see if he comes out. If you try and force him out then you might end up injuring him.

I try to avoid moving wood and rocks around because it's easy to injure or freak out fish, I just hoover around my bogwood rather than moving it to clean underneath. If you use a bit of airline then you can syphon in all the little cracks.

NoWittyName Sun 17-Feb-13 16:47:49

smile smile smile

He's out.

Thanks for everyone's advice.

smile smile smile

amillionyears Sun 17-Feb-13 16:53:24

grin

Had that happen once too.
Awful isnt it.

StuffezLaBouche Sun 17-Feb-13 18:31:10

Really relieved for you. Horrible, helpless feeling isnt it?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now