Please advise! White fluff growing out of white cloud mountainn minnows gills

(3 Posts)
wisemanscamel Fri 15-Feb-13 15:40:50

Thanks Eau, I have bought the necessary stuff and will vacuum the gravel and do a water change and fingers crossed.

EauRouge Fri 15-Feb-13 08:46:39

Crike, that all sounds very drastic for a bit of fungus confused Were you looking on extremefishkeeping.com or something? You can get anti-fungal treatments that are effective enough.

Before you dose, can you be sure that it's not just something caught in the gills?

If you're sure it's not then protozin is the treatment you will need. There's more about the fungus here, I wouldn't bother with the other treatments they suggest, a good water change and then keeping on top of gravel vac etc should be all that's needed.

wisemanscamel Fri 15-Feb-13 08:10:41

Hello fishmums - I have had a 60l tank with 12 WCMM for just over a year and it has all been fine. I have a fluval filter and quite a lot of greenery.

Yesterday, I noticed one of the fish growing what looks a bit like cotton wool coming out from under his gills on one side. No other spots/sores. I've looked on websites and it says anti-fungal, bleach out tank, stones, replace plants etc. BUT - if I have thrown everything away, how do I cycle the tank in time to put them all back in? Or do I keep the filters (which seems to defeat the object of bleaching the tank?) Are all the fish doomed - they seem quite perky at the moment? Thank you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now