Please send birthing vibes for my Guppy!

(38 Posts)
Marne Fri 16-Nov-12 09:38:17

My guppy has been pregnant fro what seems like forever sad, she's now become very restless, the males are really anoying her so i have stuck her in my breeding net (which is very large so plenty of room to swim around) but still no sign of fry, i let her out for a short time last night but the males started on her and she's too big to swim away from them, so she's now back in the net, she's breathing fast and not very active now, i'm worried if she doesnt give birth soon she will die sad, she's still eating (which is a good sign), she must have a lot of fry in her but its worrying that she has been like this for so long (has been squared off for a month).

Please send good birthing vibes to Mrs. Gupppy grin I'm sat here with the lights of, TV turned down in hope she will drop her fry.

EauRouge Sat 17-Nov-12 19:31:42

You could always get them mail order from somewhere like trimar.

What are the red spotted snails, malaysian trumpets?

Marne Sat 17-Nov-12 21:14:12

these are the snails i hadn't seen them before, found them in pets at home (i know, i know) so bought a couple as they looked pretty, sadly one died so i was going to buy a couple more, so pleased there are now a couple baby's.

Marne Sun 18-Nov-12 11:45:26

Still no fry but another 'unexpected death' of a guppy, no signs of illness, died suddenly (another female). I think it must be a parisite? how do i treat the tank? is it ok to tret with fry in the tank (they re a few weeks old)? I have lost 3 guppies nd my male Molly in the past 2 weeks, none showed any signs of illness and all were swimming around happily minutes before they died (very odd). Water has been testing fine but will test again later.

EauRouge Sun 18-Nov-12 12:29:55

Oh, those are nerites. They are lovely snails, but they don't breed in fresh water so the babies must be something else. Can you get a photo?

I wouldn't treat the tank unless you are reasonably sure what's causing it. It could be bacterial, could be viral, could be parasitic. Are there no symptoms at all?

Marne Sun 18-Nov-12 15:29:46

Eau, there were no other snails in the tank so not sure what they could be, they dont look like comon snails, i can get a pic as my best camera is broken, will try will my old one but its not great. They look round and flatish, have only spotted 2 and now they have vanished. Will go nd google to see if i cn find a picture of a baby red snail.

No real symptoms at all with the fish, they seem to swimming around happily then ll of a sudden they start acting odd, trying to squeeze behind the breeding net and withing minutes they die. No real marks on them, the one this morning had a tatty tail but thats where the other guppies found it before me sad, it seems realy odd.

Marne Sun 18-Nov-12 17:07:29

They look similar to these (similar shpe) here.

Marne Sun 18-Nov-12 17:09:17

And i know its not them as they are not water snails grin but thts the colsest i can find in shape. Hopfully they will grow (nd not die) so we can see what they are.

EauRouge Sun 18-Nov-12 17:14:27

The most common snails (the ones that come in uninvited, sometimes called 'pest snails') are physa and ramshorn. The eggs will often come in undetected with plants or sometimes with fish. You can't stop them or get rid of them really, but they are harmless enough in small numbers.

Sounds like your guppies might have a internal bacterial infection.

Marne Sun 18-Nov-12 19:42:49

So should i treat my tank for bacterial infection? i have some treatment here but ws worried it would harm my fry?

I hope they are not comon snails sad, if so i will be moving my asassin snails into the tank to eat them up. I havn't had any new plants for over 6 weeks, the snails are very tiny like they have just hatched. I cant find them now and am now starting to think i imagined it (though i did get dd1 to conform it was a snail just incase it was my dodgy eye sight).

Marne Sun 18-Nov-12 19:43:59

oh, and Mrs Guppy is looking more square (gravid spot is squarer) so maybe getting closer to giving birth (i hope).

EauRouge Sun 18-Nov-12 20:04:35

Well they aren't nerites, unless you cycled your tank through a marine and then brackish stage! Your assassin snails should sort them out.

Yes, I would treat for bacterial infection. The treatment shouldn't harm the fry, they would catch the infection anyway if you don't treat the sick fish.

Marne Sun 18-Nov-12 20:17:29

Thank you, will treat the tank (start tomorrow).

Marne Mon 19-Nov-12 19:26:14

Found more baby snails (they are yellowish, a see through), found 3, tried to tak a pick but i knocked the filter and they fell off, they are very tiny but deffently look like snails.

Still no guppy fry though sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now