Fish Lice.........

(3 Posts)

My black moor fish had a lice on him.....I noticed it yesterday, it was a horrid green thing and you could see its legs wriggling about. I went onto google (google has been invaluable to me since having goldfish), realised it was a lice so got Jaws (fab name, lol) out the tank, put him in a jug and my DH managed to get the lice off with the aid of plastic fork.

I am flumoxed as to where it came from, we have no new plants or fishes in the tank so I just have no idea. As we got rid of the lice should I treat the water anyway?? None of the other fish seem to have them.

If anything happens to any of the fishes its always the black moor fish, swim bladder, constipation, white spot and now this. This is the first thing though since moving him to a bigger tank a couple of months ago.

Anyone else had a fish with lice?? Was it a one off?

EauRouge Fri 26-Oct-12 14:28:45

Ugh, they are horrible aren't they?

When was the last time you added anything new to the tank? I think the lice larva have a free-swimming stage so you might not have seen it. Or if you've given live food like bloodworms or daphnia in those little packets, sometimes the lice larva can come in those.

You'll need to treat the whole tank, something like Parazin should sort it out.

We added two babies about three weeks ago. I havent seen anymore since but will nip to the pet shop and get some stuff for the tank.

Thanks smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now