How often to feed?

(5 Posts)
candr Sun 07-Oct-12 21:38:38

I have a 200ltr tank with about 15 fish in. At the moment I feed them in the morning but they seem to all gather where I feed them in the evening too. They are all from the same fish shop and I am wondering if they were fed twice a day there. Should they be fed more than once?

EauRouge Sun 07-Oct-12 22:08:20

What sort of fish are they? Generally once a day is ok for most fish. Give them what they can eat in 3 mins and scoop out any leftovers.

Supplementing with fresh fruit or veg and/or live food (depending on the type of fish) always goes down well.

EauRouge Sun 07-Oct-12 22:12:45

Oh and fish are smart enough to know who feeds them, they will try their luck to get an extra meal! Scroungey buggers grin

candr Mon 08-Oct-12 22:37:27

Thanks, there are platy/guppy/minnow/tetra and a catfish. We have some platy fry now too. what veg/fruit would you reccomend? Find it hard to scoop out food as the flakes we were told to get sink straight into gravel but guppies seem to feed from bottom and others from top. Catfish has stayed hidden since we got it 2 days ago

EauRouge Tue 09-Oct-12 08:15:00

Romaine lettuce always goes down well. You can get special clips to stick it to the side of the glass or you can just spear it on a tea spoon. Make sure you give it a good rinse to remove any pesticides and blanche briefly to make it easier to eat. Fish can eat any of the same veg we do as long as you remove difficult to digest parts, like the skin on peas or sweetcorn.

What sort of catfish is it?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now