gourami with dropsy

(17 Posts)
whogivesaduck1 Fri 28-Sep-12 22:49:19

i have googled and googled and have decided that my gourami has dropsy. He is really bloated and from above his scales are sticking out a bit. it makes me feel sick!

he has been like this for a few days. what do I do now? can it be treated? HELP!

whogivesaduck1 Sat 29-Sep-12 09:56:58

anyone!? i dont want him to suffer!

Marne Sat 29-Sep-12 10:37:48

I'm sorry but it sounds like theres nothing you can really do sad, i have never succesfully treated a fish which has got to the sticky out scales stage. You could kill him (using vodka or clove oil) but i can never do this (am too soft) or you can let nature take its course. I would say 'he probably has a day or 2 before he dies' sad

EauRouge Sat 29-Sep-12 10:59:37

It's usually curtains when they swell up but you could try antibiotics or an antibacterial treatment (I tried esha 2000 with some success a couple of years ago).

EauRouge Sat 29-Sep-12 11:01:54

This is a good article about dropsy.

whogivesaduck1 Sat 29-Sep-12 14:08:48

how do i go about putting him out of his misary? he doesnt seem too bad at the moment. but just to be prepared.

thanks for your responces

EauRouge Sat 29-Sep-12 17:42:14

You'll need a bottle of clove oil, you can get it from a health shop or maybe from a large supermarket/chemist (it'll be with the tooth care stuff, they sell it for tooth ache).

Isolate the fish in a container like a vase or jar, take some water from the tank and put it in a jam jar along with a few drops of clove oil. Shake it up like crazy until the water in the jar goes all cloudy and then tip it in with the fish. Repeat if necessary until the fish is unconscious- it will lie on its side and its breathing will slow down.

To stop it from breathing completely you can either OD on clove oil or use vodka, but please make sure the fish is unconscious first.

It's not nice to have to do but it's the kindest, most peaceful way. sad

whogivesaduck1 Sat 29-Sep-12 19:07:39

so what does the clove oil do? does it hurt?

EauRouge Sat 29-Sep-12 20:34:37

No, it's an anaesthetic so he'll just drift off to sleep. It acts quite quickly.

whogivesaduck1 Sat 29-Sep-12 23:51:19

thanks eaurouge i did it, it is so upsetting. hate killing something, but then i hate him suffering even more.

FermezLaBouche Sun 30-Sep-12 11:56:57

Sorry to hear that, whogives. It's always distressing to have to euthanize a sick pet, but I agree that it's kinder in the long run.

EauRouge Sun 30-Sep-12 12:19:26

<hug> it's a horrible thing to have to do but sometimes it's the right thing.

whogivesaduck1 Sun 30-Sep-12 22:49:03

thanks ladies, thanks for your help

my tank looks so empty with out him! bless him.

Marne Mon 01-Oct-12 18:33:01

sad

I lost my dalmation molly yesterday (didn't even look poorly), now i have a guppy on the way out (his swim bladder i think) but i have no clove oil to finish him off so have seperated him so he doesnt get picked on. I have been treating the tank for ich but the 2 fish that have ich seem fine (just the others that seem to be randomly dying) sad.

whogivesaduck1 Mon 01-Oct-12 22:46:42

im sorry marne, its so sad.

have you checked your water?

Marne Tue 02-Oct-12 10:10:26

Have been checking the water every day and all seems ok (been doing extra water changes), it might be due to treating the tank for white spot, i think the treatment can kill off good bacteria in the tank which might cause it. The poorly guppy died last night and i have one more that looks poorly (but he has been poorly for a while and might just be dying of old age), my tanks looking s bit empty, i have lots of baby's that are almost ready to go into the big tank but i dont want to risk adding them yet so will wait a week or 2.

whogivesaduck1 Tue 02-Oct-12 17:30:35

hope your tank settles soon and everyone lives!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now