Is Trolls a "girls'" film?

(23 Posts)
Average rating find out more
Owlcat Wed 26-Oct-16 21:28:47

Sorry, sounds a bit sexist but my 8 year old DS claims that it is, so doesn't want to come with us to see it.

Owlcat Wed 26-Oct-16 21:29:48

"Girls'" - cringe...

MidsummersNight Wed 26-Oct-16 21:30:56

Make sure to tell him it's not a "girls" film it's a film for anyone who may enjoy it.

Where's he picked that kind of sexism up?!

Owlcat Wed 26-Oct-16 21:33:05

School, unfortunately!

tygr Wed 26-Oct-16 21:33:41

My 9yo nephew went for his birthday. All his friends enjoyed it - girls and boys. I'd say it's not so much a film for adults tbh!

FiveGoMadInDorset Wed 26-Oct-16 21:34:35

My 8 yr old DS went to see it, lots of singing etc, he didn't like it, they went without me but I think he was too old, and DD age 10 was definitely too old

tygr Wed 26-Oct-16 21:34:45

Oh and be prepared to get the Justin Timberlake song stuck in your head.

carmenta Wed 26-Oct-16 21:36:21

It's a film. It can't therefore be for "girls". Tell him he's being daft.

glenthebattleostrich Wed 26-Oct-16 21:38:08

Took a 6 year old boy with me this week, he really enjoyed it

readyforno2 Wed 26-Oct-16 21:39:44

Took my 9yo and 4yo at the weekend. They both enjoyed it!

MabelSideswipe Wed 26-Oct-16 21:41:48

I took two 8 year old boys today and they enjoyed it.

bonzo77 Wed 26-Oct-16 21:43:34

Took my 6.5 and 3.10 year old boys today. Big one loved it. Little one scared!

RiverTam Wed 26-Oct-16 21:43:47

Ask him if he, or any of his mates, watches films with his penis. Seriously, zap this shit asap.

Stellar67 Wed 26-Oct-16 21:45:47

9 and 5 ds. Both enjoyed it. As did I. Feel good film.

Julius02 Wed 26-Oct-16 21:46:02

I took an 8 year old girl and 6 year old boy to see it. Girl loved it, boy thought it was 'ok'. I liked it, but mainly for the soundtrack, which is great.

AidingAndAbetting Wed 26-Oct-16 21:49:33

I agree that you need to nip this shite in the bud. It sounds sexist because it is sexist. It's a film that everyone can enjoy and you need to counter the idea that anything 'girly' is beneath him.

vitalite Wed 26-Oct-16 21:53:10

Me and my 8 year old DS went to see it and enjoyed it. I didn't think it was toooo girly. It certainly didn't seem as girly as "ballerina" looks (which we saw the trailer for while there)

Owlcat Wed 26-Oct-16 22:22:46

He loved Frozen and has been asking me to buy him some Shopkins... so he's not particularly sexist (if an 8 year old boy can really be so) but I think that friends at school had said that it was for girls, which has put him off.

CaptainCallisto Wed 26-Oct-16 22:25:46

My two boys (5 & 3) loved it, though I don't really think it's a film adults will enjoy too...

Owlcat Wed 26-Oct-16 22:28:48

It can't be any worse than The Good Dinosaur, surely? I'm pretty good at sleeping through boring films though, whilst DH endures them all!

leccybill Wed 26-Oct-16 22:31:28

Everyone I know has loved it but I'd agree with a review I read which described it as Mamma Mia on acid.

There's no real plot or logic to it- it's just colour and singing and dancing.
I suppose the main troll is a princess with pink hair so some boys might think it is for girls but it's not especially girly.

leccybill Wed 26-Oct-16 22:32:27

God yes- the Good Dinosaur, what a disappointing pile of badly-drawn shite that was.

VestalVirgin Mon 07-Nov-16 14:32:21

In case this is still relevant:

I would definitely NOT try to convince him that it is "not for girls" and therefore okay for him to watch.

If he doesn't want to go see it, he can stay at home. The frustration with having missed the film might serve as a reminder of why sexism is stupid.
Sometimes, one has to let children make their own mistakes.

'*It's a film. It can't therefore be for "girls". Tell him he's being daft.*

Considering that most films are very obviously made for men and boys, a film can certainly be made for girls. (If anyone does that is an entirely different question)

However, women are expected to watch the films that are about men, for men, and made with male gaze in mind, so a boy can get over himself and watch a film "for girls" .... if that is what it is.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now