50 shades of grey

(10 Posts)
happyvalley4 Wed 07-Sep-16 18:02:18

I know I'm 2 years too late for this one but I finally got round to watching it last night as its on Sky.

I was expecting something romantic and erotic, based on what I'd heard.

What I saw was a controlling abusive relationship that made me really uncomfortable.

Did I miss something??

olderthanyouthink Thu 08-Sep-16 08:11:48

Nope, you pretty much spot on

happyvalley4 Thu 08-Sep-16 10:51:42

Why was everyone raving about it? And why did it make people want to try S&M? To be honest it's put me off!!!

Strange ....

redheadbarmaid Thu 08-Sep-16 11:02:37

Yeah book was ok, film was really badly done

Lorelei76 Thu 08-Sep-16 11:05:21

funny you should say that, I only just saw this as well
I was aware that he was a horrible controlling git, so when I saw the end, I was relieved.

until I mentioned it to a friend, who told me what happens in the sequels, I won't share in case you don't want to know.

I suppose most people who watch the film will know, but for someone who had no idea, I thought the film ended well....minus the knowledge of what happens next.

Anastasia is extraordinarily pathetic though. Even her flatmate orders her around.

Lorelei76 Thu 08-Sep-16 11:06:07

My friend also said he felt it was marketed as romantic - was it? I'd only ever heard that it was about a horrible controlling guy.

happyvalley4 Thu 08-Sep-16 14:11:18

Well it was in the Romance section on sky! It should definitely have been classed as Drama.

Lorelei76 Thu 08-Sep-16 18:59:48

I think you should tell Sky that.

did you know how the follow up stories go? I'm just wondering because it makes such a difference.

happyvalley4 Fri 09-Sep-16 09:08:54

No I don't know anything about the follow up stories. Somehow I've managed to be totally oblivious to it.

Lorelei76 Fri 09-Sep-16 21:19:49

Ah, so with no knowledge, I thought "she didn't go along with this insane control freak, good".
To find out she goes back to him is really depressing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now