To really wish my favourite movie musicals had a cast that could actually sing!

(6 Posts)
MOB247 Thu 26-May-16 16:56:32

Phantom the main one - I love this musical and Gerard Butler is hot but CANT sing! Wish there was a way to dub him over with good vocals!

Les Mis too - I love Hugh Jackman as Jean Valjean but I think Alfie Boes vocals are so much better for this part - especially bring him home!

What would your dream cast be for your favourite musical?

MOB247 Fri 27-May-16 19:49:54

Bump??

lljkk Fri 27-May-16 19:53:30

Be tonedeaf like me. Then the singers all sound equally awful or nice in every musical. grin

TheCladdagh Tue 31-May-16 10:25:16

But isn't the point of that recent Les Mis (which I haven't seen) that the cast aren't trained singers, therefore sound like ordinary people, and were singing live on set, rather than miming to a pre-recorded soundtrack?

To be honest, I think that modern film treatments of musicals, or a lot of them, can't really handle the old grandstanding style of belting it out - it would seem really theatrical.

That Phantom with Gerald Butler and Emmy Rossum is hilarious - he's the least disfigured Phantom in the history of Phantoms. He looks like he's got a small patch of eczema.grin

The classic musical moment that always bothers me is that in the film of West Side Story, the brilliant Rita Moreno doesn't sing 'A Boy Like That' - I think she had difficulty with the range, so they got in a session singer with a completely different, much more mannered voice.

gabsdot Mon 06-Jun-16 11:40:07

I think I'm in a minority of one in that I loved Russell Crowe as Javert and I thought he sang very well.
I adore Hugh Jackman but his version of Bring him home was very squeaky. It was too high for him.
The worst ever was Pierce Brosnan in Mama Mia.

MOB247 Mon 06-Jun-16 12:31:01

I agree gab - pierce was the worst ever! Whoever cast him in a singing role should be sacked!!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now