Captain America: Civil War

(16 Posts)
Average rating find out more
GladysKravitz Sun 01-May-16 11:52:53

I want to see this film since I watched Ant Man yesterday and loved it (and I love Paul Rudd in anything). However I haven't seen any of the Avengers/Captain America films; I have seen a couple of Iron Man films but don't really remember them (I didn't enjoy them much tbh).

Do I have to watch any of the other films to understand what's going on? And in what order should I watch them if so?

Lokisglowstickofdestiny Sun 01-May-16 20:54:36

I'd watch, Capt America- the first Avenger, The Avengers, Capt America - Winter Soldier, Avengers- Age of Ultron. I don't think you need to see Iron Man films again.
If you liked Ant-Man, you'll love him in this film. Whole thing was enjoyable.

TresDesolee Sun 01-May-16 20:56:13

DS2 (11) saw it today without having seen any of the others. He said he was a bit confused but that it all made sense in the end. He enjoyed it FWIW...

PersonalClown Sun 01-May-16 21:04:30

I'm a BIIIG Marvel fan and saw Civil War today.

I think Winter Soldier and Age of Ultron will help you understand the main points of the film.
Obviously I'd recommend all of them but I am biased!

Balletgirlmum Sun 01-May-16 21:07:52

I went yesterday with dd & wasn't as confused as I was when I saw Age of Ultron.

I think you need to know the backstory of Captain America (I was proud of myself when I knew it was Peggy Carter's funeral)

Also Age of Ultron & the whole Sekovia thing.

Dd knows every nuance.

Did you stay to the end - I mean the very end - of the credits?

Lokisglowstickofdestiny Sun 01-May-16 21:12:34

I think you'll get more out of it, if you watch the other films but appreciate that I have recommended a lot of hours of watching! Yes, do stay to the end of the credits, there is a scene mid way through the credits and another one at the end.

Balletgirlmum Sun 01-May-16 21:24:37

As an aside I loved Stan Lee's cameo in this one.

BettyApplewhite Sun 01-May-16 21:28:27

I agree, I think the captain America films and age of ultron would be helpful. There are a great many references to those that won't make sense and will confuse the film a bit if you haven't. It's fabulous though, our favourite one so far!

Lokisglowstickofdestiny Sun 01-May-16 21:29:45

ballet agree re Stan Lee - his best yet I think!

LollipopViolet Mon 02-May-16 22:01:38

I saw it today, only having seen Age of Ultron - went with a friend who explained anything I didn't get but really wasn't too difficult to follow for a newbie. As an aside, I loved it!

NeverTalksToStrangers Mon 02-May-16 22:04:49

Omg loved it. Best film I've seen in ages.

You need to see the the two avengers movies and previous captain america ones.

My DS2 shouted "stan lee" in the cinema. Very loudly. Could hear others laughing.

Arya123 Tue 03-May-16 10:59:17

I'm not usually too bothered by superhero films (although I'll make an exception for Guardians of the Galaxy and the Dark Knight), but I really enjoyed this one (DS persuaded me to see it with him).

I couldn't remember the first movie that well, but had no trouble catching up. And it was dark and humorous in equal measure.

The extras during/after the credits are worth sticking around for!

noeuf Thu 05-May-16 20:48:53

Oh what happens at the end?

I thought it went on far too long - was quite an easy story to 'get' although knowing who the winter soldier is would help.

GladysKravitz Fri 06-May-16 10:23:29

Thanks for all your replies, I am going to try and watch the recommended films first. smile

TeamCap Wed 25-May-16 17:55:44

Went to see this yesterday and thought it was amazing! I would definitely recommend watching the Marvel films in this order!

1. Iron Man (as a refresh)
2. Captain America: The First Avenger
3. Avengers Assemble
4. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
5. The Avengers: Age of Ultron

(Marvel Movie Geek!)

Happy Watching!

PartiallyStars Wed 25-May-16 17:58:50

I was pretty confused when I saw the first Avengers film although loved it so I genned up for Civil War by watching Iron Man One and Two, the two Captain America films, and Age of Ultron, which helped.

I thought Civil War was the best out of all of them apart from the first Avengers.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now