Ooooo, I love a musical, I do. Which one is your favourite?

(159 Posts)
CharleyDavidson Fri 08-Apr-16 23:10:08

Just love a musical. DD2 and I just back from Rhyl where we watched Joseph.

I have tickets booked for Cats, Rocky Horror, Joseph (again, somewhere else) and Chicago - which I've never seen yet.

Sparklingbrook Fri 08-Apr-16 23:15:00

I love Joseph. Saw it twice when Phillip Schofield did it in the 90s and again in 2008 with the lovely Lee Mead.

IHaveBrilloHair Fri 08-Apr-16 23:15:50

Les Misérables.
I actually have a cat named Eponine.

Titsywoo Fri 08-Apr-16 23:16:52

My fav is Les Mis I think. Or Phantom. Hard to choose between the two. I like stuff like Joseph etc but you can't beat the dramatic music in those two.

Excitedforxmas Fri 08-Apr-16 23:17:51

Matilda is amazing. Saw blood brothers a few years ago- that was brilliant too. Wasn't fond of Les mis

Titsywoo Fri 08-Apr-16 23:18:31

Yes Matilda and Blood Brothers are fab. And Miss Saigon.

AssembleTheMinions Fri 08-Apr-16 23:18:35

Rent probably. Or Wicked or possibly Spring Awakening. Maybe Matilda. grin

mudandmayhem01 Fri 08-Apr-16 23:18:48

Again les mis. My son has a look of gavroche and we sing the whole sound track together ( he would probably like me to keep this quiet)

Sleepingonthebus Fri 08-Apr-16 23:19:02

Les Mis is my favourite.

Tryingthisonefornow Fri 08-Apr-16 23:19:17

Les mis! Saw it a few years ago with the amazing Alfie boe! Was truly a top ten moment.

MadamDeathstare Fri 08-Apr-16 23:19:22

I loved the film version of Chicago with Richard Gere, Queen Latifah, and Catherine Zeta Jones.

Les Miserables and Oklahoma are among my favorites, also Calamity Jane.

Have you tried The Magic Flute? That's a good introduction to opera if you like musicals. I have the Ingmar Bergman Swedish version with subtitles on DVD. DD2 enjoyed it very much and she likes musicals.

LilacSpunkMonkey Fri 08-Apr-16 23:19:23

West Side Story is my number one. I can watch it over and over and never tire of it.

Same with Seven Brides For Seven Brothers. I know the storyline is dodgy but the songs, the dancing, Howard Keel!

And Grease (and Grease 2 - shh!) because I grew up with it.

NeverTalksToStrangers Fri 08-Apr-16 23:20:28

I loves les mis, wicked, jesus christ superstar. The last 5 years is also very good.

MadamDeathstare Fri 08-Apr-16 23:20:38

Do bring the tone of the thread down a bit, I saw Sunset Boulevard and hated every minute of it.

On the other hand I did enjoy Jersey Boys. I knew absolutely nothing about The Four Seasons and was surprised to find out how many of their songs I knew without realizing it was them singing.

LikeAbatOutOfHell Fri 08-Apr-16 23:20:48

Evita and starlight express and rocky horror oh and grease, Chicago, bodyguard not seen it on stage but loved DVD of phantom same with Les mis TBH if they sing I usually like it oh h oh forgot sound of music with connie in it took dsd to London to see it I cried when reverend mum Sang climb every mountain, it was interval then, mascara all over the show lol

CharleyDavidson Fri 08-Apr-16 23:21:28

Nowhere near London so at the mercy of touring companies.

I saw Joseph with Lee Mead and then with Lloyd Daniels. This run has Joe McElderoy (sp?) and he was a great Joseph.

I have never seen Les Mis live, only on the dvd. But do love Phantom. I saw the original staging of it 20+ years ago. And then the new version a couple of years ago. I was disappointed by the lack of the swinging chandelier!

Shrek was good fun and very amusing with clever puppetry.

One of my all time favourites, for the drama of the music and songs, is Jesus Christ Superstar.

BirthdayBetty Fri 08-Apr-16 23:23:13

Love Matilda
Les Mis
Bugsy Malone

melonribena Fri 08-Apr-16 23:24:51

Grease 2!
Grease
The stage version of The Wedding Singer - really recommend it!!
Chicago - mainly for cell block tango
Wicked
Rent

hellsbells99 Fri 08-Apr-16 23:26:25

Definitely Blood Brothers!

CharleyDavidson Fri 08-Apr-16 23:27:13

I saw Guys and Dolls in Liverpool last month and loved it. It was worth going for 'Sit down you're rocking the boat' on its own.

I love the film Seven Brides but missed the show when it was in Liverpool. And I was gutted to miss Starlight Express when it was there too! Now I keep my eyes peeled at the local (ish) 4 theatres that are easy to visit. Liverpool, Llandudno, Wallasey and Rhyl.

What about 9 to 5 and Sister Act. Or Ghost? All of which are touring but I've never seen and wonder if they are worth the ticket fee.

CharleyDavidson Fri 08-Apr-16 23:28:01

I've missed Little Shop of Horrors in my 'love it' list. The very local quite small theatre did a run of it and it was amazing.

MaryFlynn Fri 08-Apr-16 23:28:05

I love so many! - Les Mis is a bit of a guilty pleasure, but I really love Sondheim musicals (hence my user name). The best musicals I have seen this year are probably Funny Girl (with Sheridan Smith) and Showboat. Both were heartbreaking and uplifting with gorgeous music. x

StylishDuck Fri 08-Apr-16 23:28:52

I saw Les Mis with Alfie Boe too Trying. Absolutely loved it and him! grin

Also love Phantom, Wicked and JC Superstar.

MaryFlynn Fri 08-Apr-16 23:29:16

Urgh - Where did that x come from?

BackforGood Fri 08-Apr-16 23:31:18

Best has to be West Side Story. I've seen it on stage a few times, from school productions to touring companies, and it's ALWAYS brilliant - so much better than the film.

My second favourite is Fiddler on the Roof.

Other good ones - Lion King, The Buddy Holly Story, Miss Siagon <oh, how I sobbed....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now